Carry Options for Snow Sports?

This is a discussion on Carry Options for Snow Sports? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have recently got really into snowboarding, going up to the mountains at least once a week (if my body can take it haha). I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry Options for Snow Sports?

Carry Options for Snow Sports?

I have recently got really into snowboarding, going up to the mountains at least once a week (if my body can take it haha).

I have been leaving my ccw locked in the car, but would rather have it on my person.
    I'm not worried about the 2 legged critters at the mountain, but the wildlife of the area. (Black bear, moose, bobcats, coyote, etc..)

IWB seems out of the question since it presents a great difficulty in drawing.
    OWB same thing.
    Snow coats have many pockets and "secret" pockets, so maybe a pocket holster with a lanyard to prevent loss?
    Any ideas/ suggestions/ experiences appreciated.

Oh and my options for carry weapons at the moment are:
    S&W 360PD revolver
    M&P9c
    Glock 30

2. Remove Ads

i agree... i feel better having it with me than leaving back in the car.

You will want to think about how you might fall and avoid putting the gun in that spot. Pocket holster for the J-frame would be a good option or even Smartcarry for any of your guns.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

This

might be an option, Pistol Wear - Holsters for Concealed Handguns. I have been using the PT2 model for the last 3 days, ive used it while cycling and went out to hit some softballs today and forgot to take it off, very comfortable wrap, i will be sending the PT2 to exchange it for the PT1 but this will be my primary method of CC.

your going to have to think about what you want to do here. A pocket pistol isn't going to do you any good against a Bobcat or Coyote. You'll only annoy a Moose or Black bear with a pocket pistol. Heck, unless your carrying a 44mag or bigger you'll probably make a Bear mad.

Your going to want something fairly hefty, like 357 or larger.

Concealment shouldn't be your biggest concern, caliber size should be. Your next concern should be where you carry it. The only place I can think of that would be remotely safe while 'boarding' would be in a shoulder holster. Anywhere else and you fall, the gun may put you in the hospital when you fall ON it.

Just something to think about
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Really? Bears are hibernating in the winter. Your not gonna drop a moose with any of your options either. I'm all for carrying all the time. I too ski, everyday. I just lock it up. I just don't see the need to carry on the hill....except in the backcountry. Falling could get uncomfortable and you really need to consider something with great retention. Floating around in a pocket does not seem like a good option. I hate leaving a gun in the car...really hate it. I don't feel the need to carry on the mountain other than not wanting to leave in car. I really don't mean to flame....I've put a lot of thought to this living where I do. I just come back to the same conclusion each time....it just seems dangerous to carry when the possibility of a fall, at speed, is so relevant.

Carry in the resort, no doubt. Especially if your in Park City during the Sundance Film Festival. The "Sundanceholes" AKA: PIB's (people in black) can get unruley.

I would go with a Glock 29SF in a good fanny pack. Should be good on the draw and ok if(when)you fall.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

IMO, your options (from best to least best): Shoulder holster, chest holster, fanny pack...

When I've carried while skiing/on the slopes, it's been in a shoulder holster, w/muzzle down. Granted, it won't be quick, but it's one of those better to have when needed situations.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Shoulder rig.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I would go for a pocket holster of some sort likely kydex just to make sure you've got retention, or some sort of active retention to insure even if you bail that your trigger guard is still covered.

The other side of the coin is how active are you snowboarding, are you pulling jumps or just riding? Either way a bail is going to hurt in most of the ways that run through my head;) If you're just riding I would say zippered pocket, holster in pocket with some sort of retention. You could do a shoulder holster but I've fallen enough times over the years on my side and managed arms up that I wouldn't want to take a solid gun hit to the side near my lungs nor kidney areas. All around I can't think of a good spot to have the gun and still not get banged up pretty good in a fairly normal fall.

Good luck, I'm all about carrying, and I haven't been snowboarding in years but I think I would either lock it up or go with an IWB rig just because I know I could retain it and I knew what position it would be in when I fell on it. Shoulder or pocket and that gun could really move around in a holster if you bail hard.

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

A crossdraw holster allows you to reach up under a coat for a pretty quick draw. I use that method when wearing a big bulky coat while hunting.

This holster rides a little lower than most: DUAL POSITION PHOENIX HOLSTER
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    your going to have to think about what you want to do here. A pocket pistol isn't going to do you any good against a Bobcat or Coyote. You'll only annoy a Moose or Black bear with a pocket pistol. Heck, unless your carrying a 44mag or bigger you'll probably make a Bear mad.

Your going to want something fairly hefty, like 357 or larger.

Concealment shouldn't be your biggest concern, caliber size should be. Your next concern should be where you carry it. The only place I can think of that would be remotely safe while 'boarding' would be in a shoulder holster. Anywhere else and you fall, the gun may put you in the hospital when you fall ON it.

Just something to think about
    The 360 is a .357 mag

Any time you are out skiing, snowboarding, snowmobile. Quick deployment is not usually an option. I would opt for a pocket holseter for the 360PD That would be quick and light. Carry extra rounds too.

being a skier myself, i would leave it in the car if i were you
    your best bet is already strapped to your feet if a four legged critter decides to give you a hard time
    also, there is a lot of potential to fall (for me at least) and having something solid in your pocket causes a lot of pain, and having a firearm presents its own unique dangers
    -Jim

this front pack looks interesting Front Pack - RIBZ

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    honestly,
    the only way your coming across wildlife on a snowboard is if your out of bounds. Ive been to upstate NY, CO, and MT sking and never once saw anything wilder than a squirrel on the slopes. Plus, suppose you fall, your either A: really going to hurt yourself falling on a hunk of metal...Or B: lose it on the hill.
    And then you'll feel really stupid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links