Ankle holster as primary?

This is a discussion on Ankle holster as primary? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have only recently joined the online club but have had my ccw permit for 10 years. Never really carried full time for a number ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ankle holster as primary?

Ankle holster as primary?

I have only recently joined the online club but have had my ccw permit for 10 years. Never really carried full time for a number of stupid and lame excuses. (that is about to change) I have read with interest the holster advice and noticed that the underlying theme seems to be that an ankle holster is great as a backup but should never be the primary method of carry.
    The most commonly cited reason is it takes too long to access the weapon. I read "Thank God I had a Gun" (a GREAT book btw) and noted that none of those scenarios required the ccw to be drawn in the blink of an eye. I also noted that one recent scenario outside a gas station ended happily when the good guy pulled his 38 from an ankle holster.
    So my question is this; is it really such a bad idea to have an ankle rig as your primary carry? Is it really such a bad idea to have a 'built in" time buffer to help you get your head on straight? Is it not a good thing to force you to slow down a bit? I think I already know how the crowd will respond; but I submit that the accounts that have been published so far suggest you dont REALLY need INSTANT access; and in a moment of raging endorphins and catecholamines, perhaps an extra second or two or three may be a valuable asset.
    Your thoughts please??
    II Kings 2; 23-25

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not only do I want instant access, but I want one-handed instant access with a round in the chamber.

The only time that I've ever drawn was when I was rushed from some bushes along a sidewalk. My free hand shoved him back, while my other drew. The BG ran off, and I was very glad that I wasn't rolling on the sidewalk while struggling for an ankle holster. In this case, the 'extra second or two' would have likely yielded a different outcome.

Forgive me - I almost forgot 'Welcome to the board'!

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Whatever works best for you. Some find ankle carry about the only way they can CC due to their clothing. Some find pocket carry best.

Again, whatever works for you....

Whatever method you choose I strongly suggest practice drawing and maybe get a set of snap caps to practice drawing AND shooting at home when can't get to the range.
    For God, Family and Country!

I've carried a fair bit in an ankle holster before I found other options with making my own holsters that were faster and more comfortable. I will say I still break out the ankle rig sometimes when I'm going to be in the car allot because I find it to be one of the better options to draw from while seated. When I do carry in ankle I generally still have my 1911 IWB at the same time so I guess I carry my BUG on my ankle.

When I did carry there as a primary it was either ankle or nothing and because of that I'd rather have the gun on my ankle than in my car if I did end up in a bad situation. It's less than ideal and I would suggest trying to find a better option but just like everything with concealed carry we make compromises to be able to carry. There is always a faster way to carry but we have to compromise for concealability and each person has to decide what level of compromise they are willing to accept, be it in the caliber or the ability to draw fast etc.

Good luck

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

So my question is this; is it really such a bad idea to have an ankle rig as your primary carry? Is it really such a bad idea to have a 'built in" time buffer to help you get your head on straight?
    Ankle holsters are hard and slow to get to, and put you in a terrible defensive posture. You don't want to spend time in getting to your piece. If you're thinking about drawing, you most likely should. The BG won't hesitate, you shouldn't, either. Remember, just because you draw doesn't mean you have to shoot. Often, the mere appearance of an armed defense will discourage the attacker. Your average crook doesn't want a shootout with a determined, armed citizen - they want it easy.

Get to your weapon FAST and get it aimed FAST. NOW you can take time to reassess the situation. If a shot is still warranted, you're ready. If not, simply re-holster and take a few deep breaths.

I carry my piece in an OWB strongside under a loose sport shirt. I've practiced - I can draw, get it aimed, and shoot in less than 2 seconds - more like 1.5. A human can run 15' (the length of a mini-van) in 1 second. Now, do you still want to have that wasted time in drawing?

I carry a BUG in an ankle but it is purely for backup as most of the time I am wearing leather chaps. It requires a LOT of work to get to. I, personally, do not feel comfortable with that setup as my primary, but if you are comfortable with it, do it. Either way, it is better than your gun being at home on your nightstand
    Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended

I have on occasion carried my primary on my ankle, but it was for a finite amount of time, mostly like out to dinner and back to the house. I'd have to say that IMO, it wouldn't serve you well in areas where you might be most at risk of attack, i.e., out late on the town, or these days, just going out for a gallon of milk at the corner store.

Your best defense IMO is on the hip carry, more to the point at the three thirty to four o'clock position as it allows you to protect your weapon as you're attempting to draw it. I'd reserve the ankle carry for a small BUG if it was me, but YMMV.

A buddy of mine would always say, "Slow is fast" meaning obviously, steady and methodical is better than panic and ignore your training. I can tell ya first hand that, it's a little easier said then done when the poop hits the fan.

For what it's worth. Pocket carry is a good all purpose carry method as well. I use it daily with my LCP and it's a method that is so comfortable you could forget you have a pistol on ya.

Good luck.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I carried, a back-up, in an ankle holster for years as an LEO. Except for limited applications, I don't see ankle carry being a viable primary option. Any gun you can ankle carry, you can pocket carry much easier and have much better access...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

That's not to say ankle carry is bad. I've carried in an ankle holster when I couldn't use a regular holster (tux for a wedding)...I've also used an ankle holster during long driving trips when I'm sitting (in addition to my IWB or OWB gun)

As mentioned earlier...and for emphasis...I wouldn't count on the BG giving me "extra time" to get my head on straight...he or she might not be that considerate.

If you're going to carry, you need to change your mindset...from reacting to something happening....to being aware of what is going on around you.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

TX-JB I don't disagree with most things but I think depending on dress you can get away with a larger ankle holster than pocket. Not always but my ankle holster with loose blue jeans is my PT145 and I can't manage to carry that as a pocket gun without looking very very strange:)

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Better to have and not need than to need and not have. I tend to leave the G27 at home and carry a snub on the ankle as a primary.

Ankle carry is fine for a primary if you know and accept the limitations / drawbacks that it presents.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I work in a hot climate in business casual, meaning flat front slacks and golf or dress shirts. Also work in an industry with a lot of women and can count on being hugged in greeting frequently. I simply cannot get away with the tuckable holsters or any of that stuff. It's either Seecamp in the pocket or smith on the ankle (Smartcarry is good with thick khakis or jeans, but the grip bulge shows in dress pants) Having that Smith on me is better than nothing. Out of work it's easy, CA Bulldog with a Clipdraw and T-shirt
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Only as a back up. But the main goal is to never need the back up.

Bend over to draw and you're offering a perfect forehead target for a boot.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    I work in a hot climate in business casual, meaning flat front slacks and golf or dress shirts. Also work in an industry with a lot of women and can count on being hugged in greeting frequently. I simply cannot get away with the tuckable holsters or any of that stuff. It's either Seecamp in the pocket or smith on the ankle (Smartcarry is good with thick khakis or jeans, but the grip bulge shows in dress pants) Having that Smith on me is better than nothing. Out of work it's easy, CA Bulldog with a Clipdraw and T-shirt
    So um....hiring?
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links