Carry with 'special' circumstances

This is a discussion on Carry with 'special' circumstances within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I'm in a bit of a predicament as to what holster and what position I should use for my every day carry, because ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry with 'special' circumstances

Hello all,

I'm in a bit of a predicament as to what holster and what position I should use for my every day carry, because I have some 'special' requirements.

I have extended periods of time (1-6 hours) when I must be sitting down in a chair with only a few small breaks in between, so any carry position that makes sitting uncomfortable or unmanageable is going to be tough.

I will also be riding a bicycle and walking in between and after those long stretches of time so I need a holster that plays well with pedaling (won't fall out and spill across the road), walking (I'm in a crowded area and people will bump into me all the time) and carrying a rucksack both on foot and bike.

Additionally, this must all be done while completely concealed in an environment that is very hot and the normal attire 9 months of the year is shorts and T-shirts. If I'm 'made' then my life gets exponentially harder. I haven't picked out a carry gun, but I'm 80% sure it will be an XD subcompact in 9mm. I may go for a Kel-Tec in 9mm for size but I'm concerned about their reliability (that's another thread entirely).

So, what should I do?

I hope I haven't made things too difficult.

Welcome to the forum.

How about a fanny pack? It should fit with the short and t-shirt attire. It can easily be adjusted to get out of the way while biking, walking, or sitting. The drawback is that those in the know recognize a fanny pack as a common concealed carry method.
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Truthfully, I would invest in a good holster (another thread altogether). A quality holster will be able to meet all of your demands and them some. I've even jogged for short distances in mine without feeling like it was dangerous. I carry a Kahr CW40 in a ted blocker IWB tuckable.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Well my first gut response is a smartcarry holster. The main reason is because people bumping into you with most other options will be a problem. If you can get around that then a good small IWB rig will do the job nicely. With the smartcarry your gun sits mostly in front of your junk and the vast majority of people when bumping into you will tend to avoid contact with that area.

Another option I was thinking about was you mentioned you carry a rucksack with you. How often is it in your control? Perhaps you could off board the gun to the bag, not the ideal solution but might work for your needs.

Now if you go with a smartcarry barrel length and size will help you out, smaller really is better to a good degree it will keep the barrel from digging into your leg when you sit and the thinner it is the less you will look like your happy when people see you:) Hint hint.

If you go with the bag carry whatever your comfortable shooting well. And keep an extra mag if possible since you should have room.

Good luck:)

Luke

VIP Member
    I don't have one of these, but they were discussed in another thread here. They look really interesting and I'm considering one for times when I go walking or doing my physical therapy...Kinda like an outside the waistband Smart Carry...

PistolWear
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Welcome to the fourm wildcat. That's a heckuva first post.

Under the circumstances the SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters or a quality fanny-pack made for carrying, like one of these perhapes..... fanny pack holsters - Bing shopping

Hope that helps a little.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Welcome!
    It looks like the advice I would give is already covered, except for the possible addition of a "tactical" bag like a Maxpedition or a 511.
    I believe Maxpedition makes a bag that may work as a replacement to your sack, that also has a holster compartment and STRONG shoulder/belt straps that can't be jerked off of you.

It sounds like the smart carry is a great solution though.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Sounds like a fanny pack is in your future...you've narrowed everything down to that...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I carry my XD9sc in a Galco OWB holster under very similar circumstances. I have no problems.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Welcome from Las Vegas, Nevada!

I'll second the Smartcarry holster option. During summer months here in Vegas I carry my G26 in a SC holster. I find that it works quite well. When it gets over 100 degrees on a regular basis I have no problem concealing my G26. From my point of veiw it is money well spent. In summer I work primarily outdoors. I've never had a problem with a smartcarry holster.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Thanks for all the replies, folks.

I am leaning towards the SmartCarry. Fanny packs on guys (especially young guys) screams "I have a gun" (alternatively, it could also just scream "I'm a fairy") and I'm just not comfortable with off body carry where somebody might get accidentally leer into my bag and see something they're not supposed to.

The SmartCarry website says that one can comfortably ride a bicycle while wearing one, though I'm skeptical of that claim. They offer a 60 day trial period, so I might get one and try it out just for a while.

[QUOTE=wildcatCWP;1468206]

The SmartCarry website says that one can comfortably ride a bicycle while wearing one, though I'm skeptical of that claim. They offer a 60 day trial period, so I might get one and try it out just for a while.[/QUOTE]

I wonder who gets the returns.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

[QUOTE=ZX9RCAM;1468221]
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatCWP View Post
    My guess is that they save the holster for the next person who requests a SC holster for that particular handgun. But, I could be wrong! I would hope that the holster is thoroughly cleaned before it's sold to a new customer.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    That is a concern. I hope they at least send the returns through the wash once before sending it out to another customer. I'll probably do that myself in case the previous owner tried SmartCarry commando-style.

I think it is going to depend greatly on what kind of pants you wear and what your build is whether or not a smart carry is going to work for you. There is no way that any gun is going to fit in a smartcarry in my daily dress. I wear 501's nearly every day, and there isn't room for even a small pistol and sitting at a desk all day.

I would suggest staying with a smaller gun, and using a belt holster and adjusting your dress patterns or like others have suggested a fanny pack or in your other bag.

One note. It does sound sort of like you will be spending time around a campus of some sort. If this is the case, is it legal to carry in that enviroment?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links