Comptac 2 O'clock review

This is a discussion on Comptac 2 O'clock review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been wearing it daily for almost 2 weeks now with an sp101 with 3" barrel. It's a quality holster and I'm getting used ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comptac 2 O'clock review

Comptac 2 O'clock review

I have been wearing it daily for almost 2 weeks now with an sp101 with 3" barrel. It's a quality holster and I'm getting used to it but I just don't know how I feel about 2 O'clock carry. It's very comfortable to walk around it, I've gotten used to sitting with it but it is painful and uncomfortable if you have to bend at all. Getting something from down low at a store, tying your shoe, etc... just sucks, I feel like it restricts my movement. For you guys that carry a decent size gun at 2 O'clock do you have any advice to make it more comfortable? It took a little while to get used to the barrel pointing directly at "the man" but i'm over that now

Overall it's a great holster and I would recommend it especially since I'm a small guy and it's much easier to conceal a larger gun at 2 O'clock.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

How do you guys carry your sp101, holster, position? pics would be nice.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I have the same holster but wear it on the opposite side @ the 10 O'clock, feels more natural to me than the 2 O'clock.

I had the same issue when I first started carrying my SP101. I started out with a Bianchi model 3S that I wore at 2 to 2:30. It rode high and was the only way to conceal without the gun butt sticking out. I've since bought a Tuck Snap from Side Guard Holsters that rides lower and closer to my body so I can rotate it back to roughly 3 o'clock carry and still have the gun concealed. Given the simliar design in offset clip in the Comptac 2 O'Clock model to that of my Tuck Snap (or the Tuck Clip which I don't own) you might find it more comfortable to slide it rearward along your hip.

Only way I have found to make Appendix Carry more comfortable is to lose weight. I started carrying @ 1:00 when I was 216 lbs., and now I am 192 lbs. and it is much easier to carry appendix now. You will get use to the gun being up front and having to bend down. I now carry appendix every time I am wearing a gun. I carry this way with a Springfield 4" 1911, Glock 19 and Kahr P9.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    Only way I have found to make Appendix Carry more comfortable is to lose weight. I started carrying @ 1:00 when I was 216 lbs., and now I am 192 lbs. and it is much easier to carry appendix now. You will get use to the gun being up front and having to bend down. I now carry appendix every time I am wearing a gun. I carry this way with a Springfield 4" 1911, Glock 19 and Kahr P9.

It is getting better I'm starting to get used to it. I don't know how much weight I can lose I'm 5'4 140lbs.

It's just too large for AIWB carry, I'm still trying it but I'm not sure if it's going to work out in the long run.

I'm 5'11" 170. Same gun, 3.06" barrel.

Can carry it appendix with a clipdraw. When I sit, sometimes pinches a place I don't want pinched. When I walk, sometimes the tip of the barrel bumps on a placed I don't want bumped. It is good for a quick trip to the mailbox, that's about it.

I'd think the material below the clip on that holster, next to the barrel lug, would grind into the inner thigh when sitting. Don't know what it would do for unwanted bumping and pinching.

I solved the issues above by purchasing the 2.25" gun. I don't care much for clipdraws for regular carry due to retention issues, but appendix carry is the place where I make an exception. I still plan to make a kydex holster for it AIWB; but, it'll have to be quite a bit different design than the Comp-tac 2 o'clock.

I plan to make the 3.06" sp101 a 4/4:30 carry - I have a homemade kydex holster for my pf9, about 30 degrees cant, and it is head and shoulders above anything I've tried... Comp-tac's C-TAC comes close though. Adjustable cant and ride height are good for figuring out what works for you. Not cheap, but they give you 30 days to figure out if you wanna keep it. Hard to beat that.

Is it the barrel length, the grip size, or something else that is making it too large? If it's the grip, you might want to try a smaller grip like the Pachmayr Compac. It is a great grip for the SP-101.

It's a combination of everything, when I sit it pinches and stabbs, when I bend the hammer and top of the holster poke my stomach. I have tried it at many positions and it's just not working. If I'm standing and not bending than it's fine but I can't move naturally with it at 2 or even 3 O'clock. If I slide it back to say 4 or 5 o clock it's comfortable but when i sit it sticks out way to much even with a heavy oversize flannel on. The size of the sp101 isn't an issue for me to conceal I just need to find a better way because AIWB with this gun/holster combo just ins't working for me. what are you guys using to carry your sp101 in? what position as well?

I paid $70 for it shipped to my door 2 weeks ago, if anyone want's it I will sell it shipped for $55 to you.

The butt sticking out at 4 o'clock is an issue for us skinny guys, that's why I put 30 degrees of cant in my pf9 holster.... the next holsters I make will have 35 or 40, pretty much as much as I can get while still being able to grasp the butt comfortably. Cant angle is actually the entire reason I started making my own holsters.

I would try making a different clip for the holster you've got... I don't know if it would work without a front clip, but I'd sure try it. Then you can choose the cant angle and get the butt forward where you need it.

That's a good idea I think I'm going to try that. I also have a pf9 in a mini tuck and I have the cant all the way forward and it doesn't stick out at all I love it.

That is exactly why I carry mine in this type of holster. Mine happens to be a Tucker Texas Heritage IWB, and second only to my Milt Sparks Versa Max 2, it is an extremely comfortable holster. I have never been pinched in any way, because of the clip locations, it is rock solid and does not rock back and forth, and conforms to my shape no matter what position I wear it.....I prefer 4 o'clock.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

That's nice I may try something like that, I use a crossbreed minituck for my 9mm so I might get a supertuck for the SP101 but I like that tucker texas.

Appendix carry is not for everyone and is very dependent on body style. Try positioning the holster from 12:30 to 2:30 and see if you can reach a more comfortable position.

Holster thickness is also a real factor. Comp-tac makes a good product just a little on the fat side. Personally I use a Raven ACR because of its thin construction and design. Not cheap but effective.
    The Malabar Front
    "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links