My DIY Holsters

This is a discussion on My DIY Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally took a few pics of my basement workshop project. I am going to replace the belt loops on the LCP holster, these are temps ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My DIY Holsters

My DIY Holsters

Finally took a few pics of my basement workshop project. I am going to replace the belt loops on the LCP holster, these are temps to get me through till then. Kydex is pretty fun to work with......... Tell me what you think, the good the bad and the ugly.

If you have any suggestions, I'm open. Sorry the pics are not as clear as I would like, I am not good at lighting.

The guns are a Taurus PT140 and Ruger LCP.

http://www.defensihttp://www.defensi...1&d=1264734272
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...1&d=1264734272
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...1&d=1264734272

ETA: I've got to smooth out the edges yet.
    Attached Images
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

I just got my supplies in to build a hybrid. Did you form between 2 layers of foam? OR lay the pistol on a board with foam on top?

I would have extended the leather on the PT holster down past the barrel just a tad. Looks like pretty good attempt at a Crossbreed clone.

Did you consider extending the inside piece of kydex on the LCP to form a sweat shield?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Lead Moderator
    Make sure to cover the mag release button.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by bugboy View Post
    I just got my supplies in to build a hybrid. Did you form between 2 layers of foam? OR lay the pistol on a board with foam on top?
    It's formed between 2 pcs of foam.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I would have extended the leather on the PT holster down past the barrel just a tad. Looks like pretty good attempt at a Crossbreed clone.

Did you consider extending the inside piece of kydex on the LCP to form a sweat shield?
    No I never though of it. Maybe I'll try it on the next one, once you start you just can't stop...

As for the PT holster it was in the design to leave more leather but I made a boo-boo.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Make sure to cover the mag release button.
    The mag release is covered, in the one pic where I'm holding it up you may be able to see where I flared the kydex out a bit to not touch the release.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Looks like nice stuff, be warning making holsters can be an addiction. If your not careful you will find yourself making tons of them for yourself before you know it;)

I actually bought a shoe organizer to be able to keep my normal carry holsters handy, doesn't count the ones in the box;)

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by luke213 View Post
    Looks like nice stuff, be warning making holsters can be an addiction. If your not careful you will find yourself making tons of them for yourself before you know it;)

I actually bought a shoe organizer to be able to keep my normal carry holsters handy, doesn't count the ones in the box;)

Luke
    I've already noticed that, I have to order more kydex already. I'm a carpenter and want to make a rock knife sheath for my belt, a flashlight holder, GPS mount for my Harley.........etc.

NRA Member

Great looking work. Never worked with kydex but am interested in attempting to do one. Looking forward for future projects.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    It's formed between 2 pcs of foam.

No I never though of it. Maybe I'll try it on the next one, once you start you just can't stop...

As for the PT holster it was in the design to leave more leather but I made a boo-boo.

The mag release is covered, in the one pic where I'm holding it up you may be able to see where I flared the kydex out a bit to not touch the release.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Where can you find info on working with kydex?
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by drjavelina View Post
    Where can you find info on working with kydex?
    There are a number of threads here at DC that have some good info if you do a search. You can also find info here at https://knifekits.com/vcom/login.php.
    Good luck.

NRA Member

I got addicted to making leather holsters,I think I got about $8.00 in leatherand materials in each one,and about 5 hours of time,if you include labor you can buy cheaper
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Very nice. It's amazing what can be done with time and ingenuity.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I love making holsters.

They aren't as pretty as professional ones but who cares. No ones gonna see 'em anyway.

Save's ALOT of money too.

Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Nice work, keep it up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links