Ok feeling a little out of place....

This is a discussion on Ok feeling a little out of place.... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I just got done viewing the last 10 page of the thread titled "Lets see how you carry." It seems like everyone is carrying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok feeling a little out of place....

Well I just got done viewing the last 10 page of the thread titled "Lets see how you carry." It seems like everyone is carrying some really good sized firearms. Sig 229s, and Glock 19s, and it looks like they are just wearing T-Shirts over them. I know that they don't just walk upright all day long, when out and about, and that with just the slightest bend those weapons must print, at least the handle. Are you guys looking over your shoulder everytime you have to bend over, or bend down, or sit in a restaurant?

The biggest gun I carry is my Kahr PM9 and I feel like if I bend any way at all, and you can see I am carrying, then it is too big? Am I just being ridiculously nervous? Am I over reacting to what people may or may not notice? I'm 5'9 and 160lbs, so I'm not a big guy, but I'm not terribly small either. But I would like to be able to carry a pistol more like the Glock 26 in some situations, because I would rather have 11 rounds of 9mm than 6 rounds. How did all you guys get so comfortable with carrying a gun that is much bigger, and has to print more than I am with the PM9? Do you just say "screw it, its under a shirt so it's 'concealed,' as far as the law is concerned?" Or are you magically not printing with weapons that I could only dream about? BTW I have a good holster (Crossbreed Minituck) so I am working with a good combination here. I know that the normal saying is "a good holster and gun combo is key," I think I've got that part covered.

Thanks for the chime in
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

If it makes you feel any better I still think everyone can see what I'm carrying. I'm only 5'9" 140lbs. I started out with a Sigma because I hadn't planned on carrying when I originally bought it. Upon getting my CPL this past friday I picked up a Springfield XD9 sub compact. I'm carrying it in a kholster and it seems to conceal pretty well right now. I've also got a Bare Asset IWB holster for quick trips. I just ordered a Raven Concealment and I'm hopping that will help me conceal it a little better.

I like the Sigma because it gets me 16+1 rounds but the XD carry's 13+1 in a smaller package and I've got the 16 round mag in my pocket.

Lead Moderator
    Holster and clothing options make a difference. Some printing may be acceptable during bending , ect. Size shirts a bit large seems to help, as well as prints / patterns on the shirts to break up the lines of a gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

People arnt looking at your waist and hips, we all feel like everyone is looking at our sidearm at first, after a while you realize everyone is walking around with their heads so far up their butts they have no idea you're carrying.

of course I am always conscious of my gun, but I dont worry too much anymore
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Senior Moderator
    I routinely carry big guns.

A Colt, Sigs, even hide a Glock 21 on special occasions.

Wear looser clothes. A size bigger waistband in the jeans, a bigger shirt.
    Bend at the knees, and pay attention to how you move.

After you carry awhile, you quit worring about it so much when you realize that most people dont have a clue, and the ones that do,dont say much about it anyways. Since you are legal, its not really an issue like you thought it was at first when you started carrying.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    People arnt looking at your waist and hips, we all feel like everyone is looking at our sidearm at first, after a while you realize everyone is walking around with their heads so far up their butts they have no idea you're carrying.

I agree. I think other CCW holders tend to be more aware of their surroundings and look to see who else is carrying (I do) , but most don't have a clue.

Well, for now my shoulders are wider than my midsection. This does help a lot in concealing under a simple t-shirt. I'm 6'1". 200lbs, and regularly carry a G23. Once you carry every single day, everywhere you go, no matter what you do, you become aware of that part of you. Bend, sit, stretch, etc........ You adapt and do things differently than if you were not a CCer. Believe me, concealed carry will change your life.....it should. If you're adamant about changing your life then where there's a will, there's a way. I can conceal my P220 under a t-shirt.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    My concern for printing is secondary to my concern for concealment.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

A bit of printing will really go unnoticed, but I just buy larger T-shirts or print cover shirts...never a problem.
    Also, use a holster that 'hugs' and has a 15-20 degree cant.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Lucky you with the PM9 and CW9.

I am a true beginner at this, but I can say that my posture with either one of my cc guns and holsters makes me have way better posture and I hunch over less. I tend to bend at the knees to pick something up, which is better anyways.

I am also wearing vests more. Good thread, thanks I am enjoying the read.

p.s. off subject, have you found a good website or forum for sporting clay chat ? thanks

Maybe not yours, but women keep complimenting me and giving me a slap on the behind. LOL... one of the funniest was when a woman did that at work and then realized who I was standing there talking to, our CEO, etc. His mouth dropped open. I told him " it's only harrassment if it's undesired or unwanted, and I have NO complaints".

I'm the same size as you (well, add ten pounds) and I've gotten away with concealing an XD Tactical under an oversized button down shirt before, both IWB and OWB at 3:00. Nobody under the age of 30 ever noticed because they are too absorbed into their phones and iPods. I did get strange glances from older (35+) folks though, but I was never approached.

I've got a SmartCarry on the way now so I don't have to worry about comfort or concealment (I hope.)

I disagree! I know every time I walk past a group of females they are checking out my hips.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Man, I'd put that PM9 in a good pocket holster and in the front pocket of a pair of khakis and you should be good to go. FWIW
    Last edited by gottabkiddin; January 29th, 2010 at 11:30 AM.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Well, for now my shoulders are wider than my midsection. This does help a lot in concealing under a simple t-shirt. I'm 6'1". 200lbs, and regularly carry a G23. Once you carry every single day, everywhere you go, no matter what you do, you become aware of that part of you. Bend, sit, stretch, etc........ You adapt and do things differently than if you were not a CCer. Believe me, concealed carry will change your life.....it should. If you're adamant about changing your life then where there's a will, there's a way. I can conceal my P220 under a t-shirt.
    Lucky for me my top half is wider than the bottom half, and your basic body shape has a lot to do with what you can conceal and where. I really didn't have to make any changes in my day to day clothing other than make sure my shirts are long enough.
    At first I had that feeling everybody could see that huge bump on my hip, until I started looking for others who might be carrying. I've found that sure some people have a bump here or there, but that bump could be anything, a cell phone, PDA,or a multitool .
    A few things I now do just came natural to me, bending at the knees, reaching above my head with my weak hand while pinning the shirt down with the other wrist and sitting in a booth at a restaurant with the wall on my strong side.
    Winter
    Summer
    In the summer pic I'm also carrying my Iphone, positioned just in front of the holster, the phone prints, the gun doesn't.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links