Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro Review

This is a discussion on Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro Review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow Joe, for not knowing "leather terminology," I think you did a fairly good job to explaining that one! As for deadontarget, there is nothing ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro Review

Wow Joe, for not knowing "leather terminology," I think you did a fairly good job to explaining that one!

As for deadontarget, there is nothing on the market that beats a Pure Kustom (made by Rocky, the holster is not a Rocky) holster of any model. Comparing a Supertuck to a Pure Kustom is like comparing apples to a banana, still fruit, eatable, but thats pretty much where the similarities end. As far as the holsters, they are still holsters.... thats pretty much it. I mean, Pure Kustom is the champion when it comes to holsters. NOTHING ELSE COMPARES!

This is my review of my FIRST holster from Rocky. Its a long read, but its good.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Wow, Awesome pictures!! Thanks for the review joepa150. I'm glade you like your holster.

Congrats on the new addition!!

Thanks guys for all the props!! You guys rock!!

JP150, Howdy from Marietta. I also have the honour of enjoying one of Rocky's holsters. They are the cat's meow. Rocky crafts some wonderful leather.
    Greetings from west Marietta, Lee (Santa01)

VIP Member
    Good review and great pictures!

Now... if I could just scrape up some loot!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thanks for the review, all I've heard is great things about Rocky's work. I need to get off my butt and see if he can do one for a security six, otherwise it'll probably be one for my XD
    Brad427 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SAnta01 View Post
    JP150, Howdy from Marietta. I also have the honour of enjoying one of Rocky's holsters. They are the cat's meow. Rocky crafts some wonderful leather.
    Greetings from west Marietta, Lee (Santa01)
    Not too far from you. I used to work off of Franklin Road by the Dave and Busters.

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I do like the Supertuck very much. It is very functional. Here is what I like more about the Pure Kustom:

-I like the leather loops better than the metal ones on the supertuck. The leather loops make it look imo nicer and it won't scratch my leather gun belt.
    -The retention on the Black Ops holster is much better. The Supertuck is not as tight. The Supertuck still has good retention and I never had a problem with it falling out while on. Just not as good.
    - I think the Black Ops holster looks nicer imo There is just something about leather that feels luxurious and looks classy to me. The kydex on the Supertuck give it a utilitarian look and feel. When I look at the Supertuck it looks to me like it was designed soley for function without much thought to looks.
    -While the Supertuck is pretty adjustable, the Black Ops Pro has many more adjustments IWB and also I can wear OWB.
    -The fit and finish on the Black Ops is excellent. The Supertuck doesn't seem like the fit and finish is perfect. My metal clips have a couple spots where it doesn't have the black finish on it. Also I don't know what Crossbreed finishes the clips with (I think there may be a rust resistant coating on it) but it just doesn't look great. It looks dull and spotty. Also after a few days of wearing my Supertuck, the leather at the top started to deform. It looks like the leather the edge of the leather is pulling apart if that makes sense. I don't know leather terminology but with my leather gun belt and with the Black Ops Pro, the edges are smoothed and hardened some how to keep it from deforming. See my pic of the Supertuck on this post. Look at the 3 spots at the top edge. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...endations.html Also take note at how the 3 pointed nut thingy makes holes through the leather. The leather either needs to be thicker or the spikey thing needs smaller spikes.
    -Basically the Black Ops looks like it is "fit for a king". The Supertuck looks like a make-shift holster that someone threw together at home (please don't take offense to this.)
    -
    Thank you for the in depth explanation. I recently purchased a C5 leather Montanan XLT and I have been pretty happy with it so far. It doesn't offer the adjustability of the Supertuck but I still find it very well made and comfortable. I'm using a A&G Custom Gun Leather belt and I find both of them to be very concealable. IMHO I find the Supertuck to be more concealable do to the fact that it rides very tight to my body and I have more of a cant which aids to its concealability. One day I'll check out a PureKustom, but I have yet to see one in person.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
    - Ronald Reagan

How tuck-able is this holster?

Crystal clear pics......of a great looking piece of a well-made holster.
    Very nice, indeed...enjoy!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Leather over the mag release is not a good idea. I have been following rockys stuff ever since it got fame on the 1911 forums but knowing leather and knowing guns need to go together.

His stuff looks nice but having had a few holsters one begins to know what to look for. Right now i have the Raven rig and am very happy but still there are little things i wish i could change.

Just be careful the mag isnt pushed out while IWB and know u cant ever release the mag with out removing the gun. I would send it back and have him make this small modification because everything else looks very nice.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian1911 View Post
    Leather over the mag release is not a good idea. I have been following rockys stuff ever since it got fame on the 1911 forums but knowing leather and knowing guns need to go together.

His stuff looks nice but having had a few holsters one begins to know what to look for. Right now i have the Raven rig and am very happy but still there are little things i wish i could change.

Just be careful the mag isnt pushed out while IWB and know u cant ever release the mag with out removing the gun. I would send it back and have him make this small modification because everything else looks very nice.

No troll here. I think your holsters and leather talent are amazing.

The only thing I would change is to not have the leather over the mag release.This is well known and looking at all the top holster makers this is not something they do. Glocks mag releases are not like a 1911 and any pressure on that catch will drop the mag. I even have to down load my mags by 1 so there isnt too much pressure on the catch or mag springs when carrying +1.

No disrespect at all but with something so minor I cant see why a simple cut out wouldnt put you in with the big holster makers. This fact isnt arguable in the least since too many functions are taken away when the mag catch is covered as well as the risk of it engaging the mag when worn IWB.

VIP Member
    Yeah... uh huh...
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1911 View Post

You've been "following" Rocky's stuff ?? I've been wearing Rocky's stuff & I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you're yakkin' about.
    Thanks for playing though.

Very nice phots. I'm still waiting for Rocky to give me a quote on putting a Trooper's Head on my Pure Kustom Pro? I guess I'll call him tomorrow and see if we can get this order started.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links