Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro Review

This is a discussion on Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro Review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have officially used my Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro for 1 week now. So far I am loving it. Just to give a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro Review

Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro Review

So I have officially used my Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro for 1 week now. So far I am loving it. Just to give a little background. I started CCW last year. I carried a Glock 19 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. When I purchased that I just wanted a comfortable holster that will get the job done and wasn't too expensive. I liked the look and fell of an all leather holster but I didn't think a low end mass marketed holster would be worth getting and I wasn't sure that I would even continue to carry a firearm so I didn't want to spend the big bucks. After awhile I realized that I couldn't leave home without my firearm and I enjoyed carrying very much. While the Supertuck served its purpose wonderfully, I felt like I needed to satisfy my urge to get a quality all leather holster. So I started to research custom holsters. There were so many options that I was having a hard time. The other problem was that most of the high end holster makers had ridiculous turnaround times (5+ months). I then read numerous posts about how great Rocky's holsters are. To this day I haven't read anything less than stellar about his holsters. I emailed Rocky and he said his turnaround was about 4-8 weeks. After a few more days I decided to call Rocky and ask a few more questions. While talking to him he said that he already started a Glock 19 holster and I could have it withing 3-4 weeks! Thats all I need to hear. I placed the order immediately. I actually received the holster in less than 2 weeks!!! You da man Rocky. Ok sorry now down to the review.

Price: At first I thought it was a bit steep. I then realized that I am getting two excellent holsters in one so it is not that bad especially for the quality you get.
    Design: The design is probably the best part about this. You get a ton of IWB adjustability and also the option to wear it OWB. What more can you want. I have seen other holster makers with similar holsters but they are no where near the quality and versatility of the Black Ops Pro.
    Look:I think the holster looks awesome. Its got a nice sheen to it and is very detailed. Rocky has many colors to choose from and they all are very nice.
    Feel: I didn't know what to expect at first since this is my first all leather custom holster. When I first picked up the holster it felt very light and extremely sturdy. I don't know what Rocky does to the leather but it is very stiff. Unlike other holster makers, Rocky doesn't have to reinforce the mouth due to how stiff this holster is. You can tell just by holding this that it is high quality. At first the holster is really tight. I had a hard time getting my gun out. I had to use the bag trick for 4 hours. It is still a bit tight but has loosened up beautifully. It now fits like a glove.
    Fit/Finish: Flawless. The stitching is perfect. The leather is perfect. The hard molding/boning is unbelievably detailed. The Slots and loops fit my 1 1/2" belt perfectly also.
    Comfort: Since I am used to the comfort of the Supertuck, I was worried that this might not be too comfortable. For obvious reason OWB was very comfortable as expected. IWB was comfortable at first but not as comfortable as the Supertuck (probably since the Supertuck was already broken in). After wearing the Black Ops all week, it was now broken in a bit and is just as comfortable as the Supertuck.

While I only have had the holster for a week, I like it much better than my Supertuck (not taking anything away from that holster). My only complaint is that Rocky set the bar so high for me, I'm afraid that any other holster I buy in the future will be disappointing. I guess I will have to stick to Pure Kustom.

My suggestion is to buy a Pure Kustom holster ASAP. I have a feeling Rocky may become so busy in the near future that his turnaround times will not be as short as they are now.

Keep up the great work Rocky and thank you for making a top notch holster

2. Remove Ads

Very nice! I am sure you now realize why I push so hard for others to experenice the Pure Kustom holsters. Its really worth every penny spent. Congrats on your new toy and welcome to the family.

VIP Member
    I had the pleasure of meeting Rocky at the NRA convention in Phoenix last May and see many examples of his handywork. He is currently making a highly Kustom OWB holster for my 3913.

He has teased me with a picture of the work in progress and I can't wait to break it in.

Nice score Joe. I have a feeling we will both be contributing to Rocky's retirement fund in the future.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Nice review. Great pics. Rocky is da man!
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Great pics! Congrats.

Should be picking up my latest addition tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Its really worth every penny spent. Congrats on your new toy and welcome to the family.
    + 1
    Tom
    Osculare pultem meam! - Kiss my grits!

That looks really nice! Right now I'm waiting on my first custom holster from Raven Concealment. I'll have to see how I like a full kydex holster first. I'll definitely be looking at a Pure Kustom if the kydex doesn't work out, or money start to burn a hole in my pocket(yea right...)

Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    That looks really nice! Right now I'm waiting on my first custom holster from Raven Concealment. I'll have to see how I like a full kydex holster first. I'll definitely be looking at a Pure Kustom if the kydex doesn't work out, or money start to burn a hole in my pocket(yea right...)
    I have heard nothing but good stuff about the Raven holsters. I am sure you will be happy with it but there is always room for more holsters. I was/am perfectly happy with the Supertuck but had to get the Pure Kustom.

kpw
    Now I know what my G19 will look like in a Black Ops Pro. Fantastic! Nice pics, too.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I have heard nothing but good stuff about the Raven holsters. I am sure you will be happy with it but there is always room for more holsters. I was/am perfectly happy with the Supertuck but had to get the Pure Kustom.
    Room for more holsters, yes...money for more holsters, no.

Right now I'm trying to put together a reloading setup

Hey Joe, are you some sorta photographer or somethin? Cause those are awesome pics. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Hey Joe, are you some sorta photographer or somethin? Cause those are awesome pics. Well done!
    Thanks.

This past year we just had a new addition to our family so I decided to buy a DSLR camera. I am not really into photography except for taking pics of my family.

Plus my father does photography as a hobby and my brother used to be a wedding photographer. So although I don't live close to them, they answer any questions I have.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    Thanks.

This past year we just had a new addition to our family so I decided to buy a DSLR camera. I am not really into photography except for taking pics of my family.

Plus my father does photography as a hobby and my brother used to be a wedding photographer. So although I don't live close to them, they answer any questions I have.
    Hows about I send you my stuff to take pics of? I'm the worst pituretaker around.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Really better than the Supertuck?

Just curious but what about the Rocky did you like better over the Supertuck? Did it mold better, or have more adjustment capability over the Supertuck.
    I've been using my Supertuck for about 2 weeks now with my DW CBOB and its been very comfortable. I've entertained getting an all leather IWB like a VM2, but like you the wait times to get on were way too long. If its worth it, and I know we carry different guns, I may look again at getting an all leather and take your recommendation.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by deadontarget View Post
    Just curious but what about the Rocky did you like better over the Supertuck? Did it mold better, or have more adjustment capability over the Supertuck.
    I've been using my Supertuck for about 2 weeks now with my DW CBOB and its been very comfortable. I've entertained getting an all leather IWB like a VM2, but like you the wait times to get on were way too long. If its worth it, and I know we carry different guns, I may look again at getting an all leather and take your recommendation.
    I do like the Supertuck very much. It is very functional. Here is what I like more about the Pure Kustom:

-I like the leather loops better than the metal ones on the supertuck. The leather loops make it look imo nicer and it won't scratch my leather gun belt.
    -The retention on the Black Ops holster is much better. The Supertuck is not as tight. The Supertuck still has good retention and I never had a problem with it falling out while on. Just not as good.
    - I think the Black Ops holster looks nicer imo There is just something about leather that feels luxurious and looks classy to me. The kydex on the Supertuck give it a utilitarian look and feel. When I look at the Supertuck it looks to me like it was designed soley for function without much thought to looks.
    -While the Supertuck is pretty adjustable, the Black Ops Pro has many more adjustments IWB and also I can wear OWB.
    -The fit and finish on the Black Ops is excellent. The Supertuck doesn't seem like the fit and finish is perfect. My metal clips have a couple spots where it doesn't have the black finish on it. Also I don't know what Crossbreed finishes the clips with (I think there may be a rust resistant coating on it) but it just doesn't look great. It looks dull and spotty. Also after a few days of wearing my Supertuck, the leather at the top started to deform. It looks like the leather the edge of the leather is pulling apart if that makes sense. I don't know leather terminology but with my leather gun belt and with the Black Ops Pro, the edges are smoothed and hardened some how to keep it from deforming. See my pic of the Supertuck on this post. Look at the 3 spots at the top edge. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...endations.html Also take note at how the 3 pointed nut thingy makes holes through the leather. The leather either needs to be thicker or the spikey thing needs smaller spikes.
    -Basically the Black Ops looks like it is "fit for a king". The Supertuck looks like a make-shift holster that someone threw together at home (please don't take offense to this.)
    -
    Last edited by joepa150; January 31st, 2010 at 02:21 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links