Defensive Carry banner

Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro Review

17K views 63 replies 36 participants last post by  joepa150 
#1 ·
So I have officially used my Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro for 1 week now. So far I am loving it. Just to give a little background. I started CCW last year. I carried a Glock 19 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. When I purchased that I just wanted a comfortable holster that will get the job done and wasn't too expensive. I liked the look and fell of an all leather holster but I didn't think a low end mass marketed holster would be worth getting and I wasn't sure that I would even continue to carry a firearm so I didn't want to spend the big bucks. After awhile I realized that I couldn't leave home without my firearm and I enjoyed carrying very much. While the Supertuck served its purpose wonderfully, I felt like I needed to satisfy my urge to get a quality all leather holster. So I started to research custom holsters. There were so many options that I was having a hard time. The other problem was that most of the high end holster makers had ridiculous turnaround times (5+ months). I then read numerous posts about how great Rocky's holsters are. To this day I haven't read anything less than stellar about his holsters. I emailed Rocky and he said his turnaround was about 4-8 weeks. After a few more days I decided to call Rocky and ask a few more questions. While talking to him he said that he already started a Glock 19 holster and I could have it withing 3-4 weeks! Thats all I need to hear. I placed the order immediately. I actually received the holster in less than 2 weeks!!!:danceban: You da man Rocky. Ok sorry now down to the review.

Price: At first I thought it was a bit steep. I then realized that I am getting two excellent holsters in one so it is not that bad especially for the quality you get.
Design: The design is probably the best part about this. You get a ton of IWB adjustability and also the option to wear it OWB. What more can you want. I have seen other holster makers with similar holsters but they are no where near the quality and versatility of the Black Ops Pro.
Look:I think the holster looks awesome. Its got a nice sheen to it and is very detailed. Rocky has many colors to choose from and they all are very nice.
Feel: I didn't know what to expect at first since this is my first all leather custom holster. When I first picked up the holster it felt very light and extremely sturdy. I don't know what Rocky does to the leather but it is very stiff. Unlike other holster makers, Rocky doesn't have to reinforce the mouth due to how stiff this holster is. You can tell just by holding this that it is high quality. At first the holster is really tight. I had a hard time getting my gun out. I had to use the bag trick for 4 hours. It is still a bit tight but has loosened up beautifully. It now fits like a glove.
Fit/Finish: Flawless. The stitching is perfect. The leather is perfect. The hard molding/boning is unbelievably detailed. The Slots and loops fit my 1 1/2" belt perfectly also.
Comfort: Since I am used to the comfort of the Supertuck, I was worried that this might not be too comfortable. For obvious reason OWB was very comfortable as expected. IWB was comfortable at first but not as comfortable as the Supertuck (probably since the Supertuck was already broken in). After wearing the Black Ops all week, it was now broken in a bit and is just as comfortable as the Supertuck.

While I only have had the holster for a week, I like it much better than my Supertuck (not taking anything away from that holster). My only complaint is that Rocky set the bar so high for me, I'm afraid that any other holster I buy in the future will be disappointing. I guess I will have to stick to Pure Kustom.

My suggestion is to buy a Pure Kustom holster ASAP. I have a feeling Rocky may become so busy in the near future that his turnaround times will not be as short as they are now.

Keep up the great work Rocky and thank you for making a top notch holster :smile:

See less See more
#3 ·
I had the pleasure of meeting Rocky at the NRA convention in Phoenix last May and see many examples of his handywork. He is currently making a highly Kustom OWB holster for my 3913.

He has teased me with a picture of the work in progress and I can't wait to break it in.

Nice score Joe. I have a feeling we will both be contributing to Rocky's retirement fund in the future.

#7 ·
That looks really nice! Right now I'm waiting on my first custom holster from Raven Concealment. I'll have to see how I like a full kydex holster first. I'll definitely be looking at a Pure Kustom if the kydex doesn't work out, or money start to burn a hole in my pocket(yea right...)

#12 ·
Thanks.

This past year we just had a new addition to our family so I decided to buy a DSLR camera. I am not really into photography except for taking pics of my family.

Plus my father does photography as a hobby and my brother used to be a wedding photographer. So although I don't live close to them, they answer any questions I have.

#14 ·
Really better than the Supertuck?

Just curious but what about the Rocky did you like better over the Supertuck? Did it mold better, or have more adjustment capability over the Supertuck.
I've been using my Supertuck for about 2 weeks now with my DW CBOB and its been very comfortable. I've entertained getting an all leather IWB like a VM2, but like you the wait times to get on were way too long. If its worth it, and I know we carry different guns, I may look again at getting an all leather and take your recommendation. :sport59:

#15 · (Edited)
Just curious but what about the Rocky did you like better over the Supertuck? Did it mold better, or have more adjustment capability over the Supertuck.
I've been using my Supertuck for about 2 weeks now with my DW CBOB and its been very comfortable. I've entertained getting an all leather IWB like a VM2, but like you the wait times to get on were way too long. If its worth it, and I know we carry different guns, I may look again at getting an all leather and take your recommendation. :sport59:
I do like the Supertuck very much. It is very functional. Here is what I like more about the Pure Kustom:

-I like the leather loops better than the metal ones on the supertuck. The leather loops make it look imo nicer and it won't scratch my leather gun belt.
-The retention on the Black Ops holster is much better. The Supertuck is not as tight. The Supertuck still has good retention and I never had a problem with it falling out while on. Just not as good.
- I think the Black Ops holster looks nicer imo There is just something about leather that feels luxurious and looks classy to me. The kydex on the Supertuck give it a utilitarian look and feel. When I look at the Supertuck it looks to me like it was designed soley for function without much thought to looks.
-While the Supertuck is pretty adjustable, the Black Ops Pro has many more adjustments IWB and also I can wear OWB.
-The fit and finish on the Black Ops is excellent. The Supertuck doesn't seem like the fit and finish is perfect. My metal clips have a couple spots where it doesn't have the black finish on it. Also I don't know what Crossbreed finishes the clips with (I think there may be a rust resistant coating on it) but it just doesn't look great. It looks dull and spotty. Also after a few days of wearing my Supertuck, the leather at the top started to deform. It looks like the leather the edge of the leather is pulling apart if that makes sense. I don't know leather terminology but with my leather gun belt and with the Black Ops Pro, the edges are smoothed and hardened some how to keep it from deforming. See my pic of the Supertuck on this post. Look at the 3 spots at the top edge. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...ions/96510-m-p40-holster-recommendations.html Also take note at how the 3 pointed nut thingy makes holes through the leather. The leather either needs to be thicker or the spikey thing needs smaller spikes.
-Basically the Black Ops looks like it is "fit for a king". The Supertuck looks like a make-shift holster that someone threw together at home (please don't take offense to this.)
-

#16 ·
Wow Joe, for not knowing "leather terminology," I think you did a fairly good job to explaining that one!

As for deadontarget, there is nothing on the market that beats a Pure Kustom (made by Rocky, the holster is not a Rocky) holster of any model. Comparing a Supertuck to a Pure Kustom is like comparing apples to a banana, still fruit, eatable, but thats pretty much where the similarities end. As far as the holsters, they are still holsters.... thats pretty much it. I mean, Pure Kustom is the champion when it comes to holsters. NOTHING ELSE COMPARES!

This is my review of my FIRST holster from Rocky. Its a long read, but its good.

#19 ·
Good review and great pictures!

Now... if I could just scrape up some loot! :rofl:

#24 ·
Crystal clear pics...:yup:...of a great looking piece of a well-made holster.:king:
Very nice, indeed...enjoy!:hand10::bier:

#25 ·
Leather over the mag release is not a good idea. I have been following rockys stuff ever since it got fame on the 1911 forums but knowing leather and knowing guns need to go together.

His stuff looks nice but having had a few holsters one begins to know what to look for. Right now i have the Raven rig and am very happy but still there are little things i wish i could change.

Just be careful the mag isnt pushed out while IWB and know u cant ever release the mag with out removing the gun. I would send it back and have him make this small modification because everything else looks very nice.

#27 ·
No troll here. I think your holsters and leather talent are amazing.

The only thing I would change is to not have the leather over the mag release.This is well known and looking at all the top holster makers this is not something they do. Glocks mag releases are not like a 1911 and any pressure on that catch will drop the mag. I even have to down load my mags by 1 so there isnt too much pressure on the catch or mag springs when carrying +1.

No disrespect at all but with something so minor I cant see why a simple cut out wouldnt put you in with the big holster makers. This fact isnt arguable in the least since too many functions are taken away when the mag catch is covered as well as the risk of it engaging the mag when worn IWB.

#35 ·
Ever wear one of Rocky's masterpieces?
I do. It is flawless, as is. Period.

If the mag is dropping too easily, fix the mag release.

I cannot for the life of me understand what functions are taken away by the mag release being covered. :confused::blink:
The gun is holstered for a reason, so things don't get fiddled with until it is removed from the holster.

Sounds like you need to start making your own holsters to suit your needs.

JMHO

joepa150 - Welcome to the Pure Kustom club! Rocky's holsters only get better with wear. I am really aching to get one for my 24/7.
I have the Supertuck for my 24/7, but after wearing my 1911 in a Black Ops, I have to put my 24/7 in a Black Ops Pro.
The only thing better than Rocky's holsters is buying one from him. It is an honor doing business with him!

#30 ·
Very nice phots. I'm still waiting for Rocky to give me a quote on putting a Trooper's Head on my Pure Kustom Pro? I guess I'll call him tomorrow and see if we can get this order started.:image035:

#33 ·
And you can tell all this from just a picture ?? :facepalm:

You're "that guy". You're the know-it-all dude, that everyone finds annoying.

You see, I actually wear a Black Ops & a Black Ops Pro. I have not seen, or experienced this mag issue you speak of , nor has anyone else (if you have, speak up). But, being "know-it-all guy", you'll keep this thread hijack going.......

#34 ·
joepa150, very nicely detailed product review! :hand10: I'm glad you like your new rig. You have an appreciation for good quality.

Rocky, A#1 job on that holster buddy. Seems you just can't disappoint your customers! Awesome rig! You are truly an artist with leather!

#38 ·
A Humble Request for Brian1911

Brian1911...

I think your point has been made and seen by everyone here, including any and all holster manufacturer's who may happen to be members of this forum.

Everyone has seen your posts and know exactly what you are talking about.

If the manufacturers of holsters feel they should or should not modify any of their designs, it's their business and they will do so after careful consideration and research.

I think it's time to drop this issue and Drive On! Move on to something else or risk being thought of as nothing more than a troll and wearing out your welcome.

You are entitled to your opinion, you've stated it along with your reasons for having that opinion, and it's been acknowledged. Time for a new topic.

We have a fee market capitalistic society. At least what's left of one, and for the time being. You are free to purchase goods from any manufacturer you wish and not buy from those you do not wish.

Lets leave it at that. Okay?

#39 ·
Getting back on track. ++1,000 on everything positive said about the Black Ops Pro. Great review by the OP. I've had mine for a couple of weeks now. Wearing it right now with my CBOB and I LOVE THIS HOLSTER! I had to drool over it for a week before I could get an acceptable belt. As or More comfortable than my Supertuck...far far more adjustable. I promise to get pics up soon...sorry, Rocky, for the delay on pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.