Defensive Carry banner

Homemade holster for Sig 229

4K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  dukalmighty 
#1 ·
I bought a Sig Thursday and today made the holster,It's about the 10th holster I've made,all hand sewn and formed to fit,I like them to have body shields and have made some holsters as gifts for my friends guns after they passed the Tx CHL class to wear as soon as they get their CHL's

See less See more
#3 ·
Took me about 4 hours,I have a tool that traces the stitch line,then I use an Awl to poke the holes then use a small drill bit and drill the holes before I use a stitching awl to sew stuff up,theres more to it,but I can do the majority while watching tv.Total cost of materials about $8.00

#4 ·
Looks like a good serviceable carry rig;) If I had to give my input I wouldn't double stitch next to the gun, only necessary for a machine stitch IMHO. When hand stitching you need to pick and choose how much pain your willing to go through:) I hand stitch all my holsters and one belt, and let me say I will never again hand stitch a belt, I did it in one sitting and the last two stitches nearly brought tears to my eye's my hands were so sore:)

Curious what kind of finish did you run on there, almost looks like a natural/oil or some sort of antique?

Nice work!:)

(I just finished an IWB for that same model gun so I've been looking at those lines the last several days:)

Luke

#5 ·
I am impressed with your work...that would be beyond me.:blink:
There could be some leather work in you future earnings...:wave:

#6 ·
My work is humbled compared to the experts,the finish is Eco-Flo It's a dye and sealer sold at Tandy Leather company,This is the first holster I did in brown and will make a double mag pouch in the next couple days,

#9 ·
Man, you work fast. The holster looks good. I like the finish too...looks kinda bronzed.

#12 ·
I have a partially paralyzed right hand and even tho it's challenging,you can do anything you put your mind too,Just take your time and be patient It's trial and error,

#11 ·
Nice looking holster and a good basic design. As perviously pointed out, the double stitch line around the pistol is not necessary and just adds more pain to your fingers. It's quality leather and good molding that retain your pistol in the holster. The more holes you put in leather, the weaker the leather becomes.
You mention using a sewing awl for your stitching. If I'm correct your using one of those handi-awl type tools. If you are, consider going to a 2 needle saddle stitch. You will get a much stronger stitch.
Overall, real nice work. You should be proud!

Randy

#17 ·
Nice work!!! I enjoy making my own holsters also. The last one I made for my P6 started out about the same cant but it just wasn't comfortable so I added another slot so I can carry it at about 5 degrees forward cant at 3:00

#18 ·
I have several,I like the cant due to if you ever try drawing in a sitting position the gun draws smoother,and even standing ,not so much up as forward,It's also pretty much impossible for somebody to disarm you from behind,I carry at 9 O'clock and the cant conceals very well

#19 ·
When I was in Boy Scouts I tried to take a summer camp merit badge course on leather work. I learned I have zero talent and zero patience.

Looks like a fine job there duk, keep on keepin' on.

#23 ·
I can make em either way,and Randyc74 gave me some excellent advice on stitching,the double needle saddle stitch is much easier and maintains a really tight stitch with minimal effort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.