Searching for an OC Holster

This is a discussion on Searching for an OC Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Everyone, Some people may remember that a while back I asked about cheap OWB holsters to use while camping/hunting/fishing. Well, I'm expanding my search ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Searching for an OC Holster

Hey Everyone,

Some people may remember that a while back I asked about cheap OWB holsters to use while camping/hunting/fishing. Well, I'm expanding my search a little bit.

I'm applying for my non-resident Maine permit and see that OC is legal there. OC is something I'm interested in trying out to see how it goes, so I'd like to pick up an OWB holster that I can openly carry with.

I've looked at FOBUS and Serpa Blackhawk kydex paddle holsters and like the idea. Does anyone use any of those? Does anyone have any suggestions of reasonably priced OWB/OC holsters?

Oh, and the weapon is a SIG P239 .40S&W.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by gdm320; January 31st, 2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Added weapon model
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

I have only one experience with Fobus and it wasn't good. The fit was so poor as to make use almost impossible and it stuck our like a brick on my belt. I have two Blackhawk Serpa holsters which I do like but not for concealed carry. You will like the Serpa for OC.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I have only one experience with Fobus and it wasn't good. The fit was so poor as to make use almost impossible and it stuck our like a brick on my belt. I have two Blackhawk Serpa holsters which I do like but not for concealed carry. You will like the Serpa for OC.
    Do you have a particular model Blackhawk Serpa you like? Only problem with the Serpas might be finding one that works with my P239.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

I often use my Blackhawk SERPA for my Glocks. It is reassurring to know that the pistol won't fall out or that someone else can not easily remove it from the holster.
    Guns: Glock 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30 & 36
    Rides: 2006 GTO with my turbo system and tune (635 RWHP); 2009 H-D Street Glide with many mods

If your going to open carry then that means that EVERYONE will see what you are carrying your protection in. You can have a cheap plastic run of the mil holster, or a good quality custom leather holster with maybe some cool art work that makes it yours. It will turn heads and probably get some good compliments on it. Check out Pure Kustom Holsters and see if you would be interested in carrying a work of art on your hip instead of something everyone else has! Dont worry about it drawing even more attention to you or your firearm, since you are OC anyway, it really dont matter. You should give those people something to enjoy while they stare! Look at Rockys Thread titled "some new stuff"

There are some nice holsters in here that won't cost you an arm or a leg, or wait months and months to get... HOLSTERS
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    Do you have a particular model Blackhawk Serpa you like? Only problem with the Serpas might be finding one that works with my P239.
    Can't speak for any but the 2 I have which are level 2 holsters. As for fitting your gun, I'm sure there will be a chart on their website listing available gun sizes.

I have/use the SERPA when I OC my P229 or P226...used them again on my deployments with my M9...IMO, a great holster.

I looked, and I don't think the Blackhawk has a SERPA for the P239; you may want to check out a custom holster from one of the sponsors here. I recommend Nate from UBG...UBG Holsters
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Now that holster is hot!

I spoke to Rocky over at PK regarding the above holster.

Pricey. A work of art, but pricey pricey. I'm adding to my wish list, but that's not going to happen in the short term.

So I'm still in search of an OC holster... keep the thoughts and suggestions coming please!

I spoke to Rocky over at PK regarding the above holster.

Pricey. A work of art, but pricey pricey. I'm adding to my wish list, but that's not going to happen in the short term.

So I'm still in search of an OC holster... keep the thoughts and suggestions coming please!
    When you hold that work of art in your hand, you'll know it's worth the $$.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAz View Post
    When you hold that work of art in your hand, you'll know it's worth the $$.
    Absolutely, which is why it's on the list. It's the nearly $300 that is prohibitive at the moment. I'd never complain about the price given the fact that it is a piece of custom artwork, but it breaks the budget as it applies to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    If your going to open carry then that means that EVERYONE will see what you are carrying your protection in. You can have a cheap plastic run of the mil holster, or a good quality custom leather holster with maybe some cool art work that makes it yours. It will turn heads and probably get some good compliments on it. Check out Pure Kustom Holsters and see if you would be interested in carrying a work of art on your hip instead of something everyone else has! Dont worry about it drawing even more attention to you or your firearm, since you are OC anyway, it really dont matter. You should give those people something to enjoy while they stare! Look at Rockys Thread titled "some new stuff"

I recommend a well made leather OWB, in a pancake style. I also would recommend a thumb break. Open top is just that open. Less susceptible to a grab....and has the added benefit of calming the The tight to body OWB will turn down the attention meter some from the public.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Mic
    I have a belt slide Fobus holster and it dose well with my Glock, don't like paddle holsters personally, but I agree with those on hear that suggest a good leather holster, try looking hear for some good ideas

Packin' Heat Leather For Bianchi , Galco & NIGHTHAWK Holsters
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

VIP Member
    Hey Everyone,

Some people may remember that a while back I asked about cheap OWB holsters to use while camping/hunting/fishing. Well, I'm expanding my search a little bit.

I'm applying for my non-resident Maine permit and see that OC is legal there. OC is something I'm interested in trying out to see how it goes, so I'd like to pick up an OWB holster that I can openly carry with.

I've looked at FOBUS and Serpa Blackhawk kydex paddle holsters and like the idea. Does anyone use any of those? Does anyone have any suggestions of reasonably priced OWB/OC holsters?

Oh, and the weapon is a SIG P239 .40S&W.

Thanks in advance.
    Everyone here has their personal preference. I have no bias against Kydex holsters, Fobus or other. They are light weight. I have several.

For open carry, I like leather Bianchi and Bianchi leather belts. They will last as log as your gun.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links