G17

This is a discussion on G17 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the chance on a good deal for a G17 this will be my 1st Glock of any kind. I know this is a ...

Thread: G17

G17

I have the chance on a good deal for a G17 this will be my 1st Glock of any kind. I know this is a full size firearm but does anyone EDC a 17 and how do you carry it.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Well, it's a long story, and I'll attempt to abbreviate it for you. First.....IWB or OWB? Need to get that out of the way. EDC my G17? Only in certain circumstances. It's pretty much a dedicated match pistol for me now. But I still do on occasion carry it, and that's OWB under cover (like in the winter with an OWB pancake under a jacket). Can the G17 be carried and concealed effectively IWB and in summer clothing? Generic reply would be yes......depending on a few things. I can easily conceal the G17 with a particular holster of mine under a t-shirt.......thing is, comfort while doing most activities is out the window for me. Fine when I'm walking, standing, etc....... but a PITA when I sit. Mind you......I'm talking about the holsters I have, and the way I do things. My EDC is a G23, and I also like to carry the G27 since that was my number one for CC from the start.
    Mind you that CC is what you make it. Make it what you want. Where there's a will, there's a way. Leather, kydex, or hybrid. I took probability and statistics in high school as an elective course since I liked math. The variables here boggle the mind, and escape the influences of math and science all together. Best advice I can give a new Glocker is to get one of the universal holsters that will accommodate all models. More than likely this would be kydex. One of the best, and my favorite (since I can carry any size Glock in it IWB) is the DeSantis Scorpion holster. Best I've found that works for me and any of my Glocks....full size to sub-compact.
    Thing is....if you've really got a good deal in your mind on a G17, I'd say buy it without a doubt, and I'm saying buy it because you've got a good deal. Now.....if you want to pursue the G17 for your CC, then you've trials and tribulations before you like we all have, and with the right things in order and in your mind it can work no problem. But.....if you have the opportunity to get this G17 at a steal, just think of the bargaining power you'll have once you want to go to the compact or sub-compact for CC. By all means......you should get into the Glock at a good deal and work it out at the range. this will be a most important experience for you and decide if you're going to stick with the Glock. All the rest of the Glocks will be Glocks after you've tried it. Get used to the trigger reset, and follow up shots, etc. If you've got a good deal before you, then look at it as an investment from the get-go. That goes for anything. Do with it what you will, and let it at least be a bargaining tool to get you where you want to be. I guess I've rambled on enough for now.

Thanks Ram good info. It would have to be IWB I believe. I can carry my PT145 both ways. It may turn out to be just a target pistol for the range but I sure would like to find a comfy way to carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Thanks Ram good info. It would have to be IWB I believe. I can carry my PT145 both ways. It may turn out to be just a target pistol for the range but I sure would like to find a comfy way to carry it.
    Yes....IWB. Comfy way to carry could likely be within your reach. Like I've said....that full size Glock for me just gets me in certain places when I do certain things while doing what I do. That's why I've become dependent on the abbreviated versions for carry anytime, anywhere. After having several of Glock's full size pistols, My G17 is the only one remaining at home. There are plenty of good reasons for that. By gosh...I'm gonna get it out of the safe right now and feel it!

kpw
    I carried a G22 for years. Very doable with the right gear.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Mic
    CC a Glock 17 very doable, I carry a G22 via Galco SOB holster about 5 o'clock, conceals very well under my shirt and winter jacket helps, but driving takes some getting used to.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

I carry a G17 everyday OWB, D.M. Bullard Combat Holster. I can usually conceal under a golf shirt with no problem.

Links