Looking for businessmen/women who carry (ladies - on you no purse)

This is a discussion on Looking for businessmen/women who carry (ladies - on you no purse) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm sitting on Wednesday for my class and applying for my permit (I live in New York State). Obviously the intent is to carry. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I'm sitting on Wednesday for my class and applying for my permit (I live in New York State). Obviously the intent is to carry. I looked at the sticky at the top of the forums, and did a search, but didn't see many posts on how people who work in an office environment carry. Specifically, I have to wear dress attire - dress shirt tucked in, pants, dress shoes. Most of the pictures/ways people carry I saw was casual wear. How do you prefer to carry when you can't risk printing/showing at all, and have to tuck in? I saw some IWB holsters that looked like they may work, but the clips kind of look ackward.

Also, as a side question - what does one do when you are in a restroom w/stall walls that don't hit the floor and you have to go? Pants down would equal showing wouldn't it? I know it sounds dumb, but seriously folks - whaddya do?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    Also, as a side question - what does one do when you are in a restroom w/stall walls that don't hit the floor and you have to go? Pants down would equal showing wouldn't it? I know it sounds dumb, but seriously folks - whaddya do?
    I'd suggest using our function in the blue bar at the top of the page for this one. There have been many threads on this subject.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I was just looking for the same, check this thread
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...concealed.html

Check out page 17 post #336 and page 24 #472

Have you already chosen a carry weapon, or will you be shopping for a pistol?

Brian

For tuckable wear, get a gun belt with a velcro insert and a holster that offers velcro clips.

For deeper concealment, look into a SmartCarry.

Tuckable holster by K&D holsters.

Bathroom? Pull the waistband of your underwear over the grip of your gun.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

+1 on the tuckable IWB with velcro clips and a nice velcro-lined belt.

I also use a shoulder holster if I'm wearing sweaters or a sports coat full time. Small-of-the-back is OK too, and allows you to sit comfortably. There's always the pocket P3AT or LCP option. I will sometimes just put my PM9 in my briefcase that is always in my hand or by my side. Some find ankle carry works, especially if you are sitting at a desk all day. Just don't cross that leg (on the opposite knee) and let the pants leg ride up. Lastly, look at the tactical undershirt holsters, like from 5.11. That may be the best option as a small pistol under the armpit would not be noticed under a dress shirt. Some have even removed a couple buttons and resewn them over the button holes, using velcro to hold the shirt together and allowing faster draw.

As always, make sure your company policy allows carry or you may find yourself without a job.

I have a friend who swears by the 5.11 Tactical Holster Shirts. He's a big guy, wears his shirts pretty tight and I've been around him when he was carrying his Kahr PM-9 in this and didn't have a clue. That, or a SmartCarry, may be your best alternatives for absolute concealment.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

You described me! After much experimentation, what works best for me is:

Pocket carry of a LCP, or;

Smartcarry with a Glock 26.

EDIT - Thread on the Smartcarry I started a while back that might be of interest to you.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...y-methods.html

Of note - since the birth of our daughter, I've put on a few pounds (food in lieu of sleep). I now find the Smartcarry less comfortable, as the backstrap of the pistol pushes into me when I sit (and I spend a lot of time seated/driving). Much as I hate to admit it, I find myself carrying the LCP in a pocket more and more. It is light weight, powerful enough, and disappears - much more so than my old PM9 did. My needs run more to "covert" than "concealed," as I cannot afford to have customers (some of whom are very "huggy") feel or notice my gun.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; February 3rd, 2010 at 02:14 PM.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

For MANY years I was in a business environment - Brooks Bros suits and the works. Most don't wear jackets in the office so I settled on a PPK or Jframe in pocket holster most of the time. Sometime I carried in Thunderwear. Both worked fine for my purposes. No one ever knew!
    With the advances in gun technology, now I'd be looking at a Kahr MK9 in pocket (I use/used an Alessi dress belt with great success in keeping pants from sagging) or a K40 in Thunderwear.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

A guy on GT used to post pics of his G23 in a CTAC with V-clips. Very concealable.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I'm in business casual attire most of the time. While I work solo a lot, I am in meetings and other public places frequently. Plus, unlike an office environment, the people I work with hug each other a lot.

What works for me is my XDsc9 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. On occasion I'll switch to the snubby in a pocket holster (front, strong-side pocket) or ankle holster.

It can be done!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Although there are several methods like tuckable IWB and smart carry you really cant beat something like a LCP in a pocket holster.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

All, thanks for the advice.

Rick - tried the search button as I noted..maybe I didn't use the right terms but at a glance didn't see the info I was looking for.

thanks madfish. after about 7 or 8 pages and not finding what i was looking for, i gave up.

benthic - i'm trying to figure that out still. Definitely not interested in revolver to carry. For home, I'm fond of the .44 mag S&W that my friend let me give a try. Here in NYS they drag their feet - i have 7months to a year to decide. Yes, they take that long, and yes it's ridiculous. So far I know I like what beretta, springfield, and glock makes, I want 40 cal or 357, single stack, double action, compact, internal hammer (dunno if that's the right term)and preferably a manual safety (eliminating glock for carry).

alnitak - thought about ankle. I don't know that I like it that far a way. Close to my wallet would make sense..no one should be going near that anyways. If it's needed I'm feeling like ankle is too far away. Work, yea I need to look into that.

Those suit people - yea, we're dress shirt/pant ,but suit is overkill for my environment. It'd be ideal, but for me impractical unfortunately.

Thanks all so far - keep the comments coming. I'm going to check out the smart carry idea. I like the thought that if someone demands my wallet, having an IWB around that area would make the most sense, slightly untuck and hand over something other than the wallet if it came to it..which hopefully it wouldn't Not too sure I'm keen on the front pocket idea yet.

5.11 tactical has a light blue "dress" shirt that opens with snaps hidden behing the buttons, which allows you to slide your hand into the hidden compartment (one on each side) where you can put a holstered pistol. It's not dressy enough to wear with a suit but would be fine with slacks.

The SmartCarry. Works best if you wear your belt at waist level rather than down on the hips.

The 5.11 tactical holster shirt: Made of thin, stretchy synthetic fabric; it compresses around your torso, which you might not like. Has reinforced holster pockets on left and right. Holds small to full-size guns under the armpit with muzzle pointing down. Very secure and great concealment, but really needs a shirt like the Woolrich Tactical shirts or 5.11 Tactical shirts that zip or snap open at the front -- otherwise you'll have to pull your shirt tail up to your throat so as to be able to access the holster pocket.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links