Defensive Carry banner

Concealed shoulder holster for M&P Compact .40?

10K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  ZX9RCAM 
#1 ·
Hey guys, first post here, though I've been lurking around for a while. I picked up my CHL back at the beginning of December and have carried pretty much every day since then. I've been carrying IWB with some off-brand leather holster and have found it extremely uncomfortable.

I've tried a few different holsters and all are more or less as uncomfortable to wear. I'm not a big guy (5'10" 160lbs). My problem is that if I wear a sturdy belt tight enough to hold the gun snug, the belt creates some pressure points around the waist, and if I wear it loose the gun tends to flop around which creates discomfort of its own.

My second problem is carrying at work where I wear slacks and a dress shirt pretty much every day, but no jacket. I spend most of the time sitting at a desk or driving, so IWB is both uncomfortable and impractical.

I want a good shoulder holster that meets a couple criteria and have looked around a bit with not much luck. Leather/synthetic isn't that big of a deal to me honestly; my bigger wants are this: I'm right-handed so obviously right hand draw. I'd like one with a muzzle-up design, maybe 45 degrees. I think a horizontal holster will print too much on me, and a vertical with muzzle-down will be too difficult to consistently and quickly draw. Something with a removable strap to go around the chest might be nice in order to keep it from shifting around when bending over.

I looked at the Galco Miami Special I believe it's called, and didn't like the horizontal design. The Alessi Bodyguard seems to pose the same problem. The Fobus Roto system I've heard is fairly bulky and uncomfortable. Alessi had a couple that looked promising, such as the LeatherLite and the Agent X, although I'm not sure if the cant of the latter can be adjusted.

Sorry for the Wall O' Text but I'm running out of ideas.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I sold Galco for a while and the Miami Classic is named that for many reasons. I know that your concerned about horizontal carry but it is quick and natural movementwise. Here's a couple of links for muzzle up horizontal carry rigs. BTW I found Shadowsbane's post at Highroad. :gah:

Commerce Storefront B2C

El Paso Saddlery - Shoulder Holsters

#4 ·
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll check them out. And yeah, I posted at Highroad too. Do the two of you not play nicely? :wink:

#6 ·
Well, shadowsbane is my usual choice, however someone here already had it so I had to resort to my other one.

Unless you want to take it away from them and let me have it. ;)

#7 ·
#9 ·
I have one of these ordered for my Glock.

Cabela's -- Triple K Ultra Shoulder Holster

The picture shows it horizontal, but it can adjust to hold at an angle.
It is scheduled for delivery tomorrow; I will do a review when I have tried it out.

#11 ·
Well definitely let me know what you think 303, because barring your review of that holster I'm probably going with the DeSantis.

And Whiskery, I'm trying to avoid the vertical placement like that has. I've actually got a 5.11 Tactical holster shirt that I can use if I ever want to carry in that manner.

#12 ·
#15 ·
I am curious as it does not show any connection between gun holster & pants belt to keep it from "flapping"?

#13 ·
Oohh, thanks for the link.

EDIT: Wait, I don't see an option for the M&P Compact. I'll have to check with them on that. I wish Bianchi made theirs for the M&P and I'd go with that.

#14 ·
The stock number for the M&P full size and the compact are the same on DeSantises site, I dont think they have a diffrent holster for the compact, they just use the same one.

#16 ·
I got the Triple K holster in, unpacked it and assembled it.

First impression- Not bad at all for the price, decent quality leather and stitching on the holster and mag pouch, good quality suede for the harness. All brass fittings. I tried my magazines and pistol in it and they fit just fine. It is not molded for specific guns, so it will take some work to get it broken in.
I will do a full review when I get a chance to fit it and wear it a little.

#17 ·
Proper gunbelt ?

I take it you are using a quality, double leather + internal stiffener GUNbelt, (beltman, 5.11 tactical etc) not just some leather belt from JCPenny ?

90% of the problems people have with IWB is due to a floppy belt. With a rigid belt you don't have to tighten it too tight, yet it will hold your holster+mags steady like a turret ring around your waist.

lapolicegear.com have a clearance on 5.11 stiffened belts for $7.99 or something - well worth a punt before you shell out for a shoulder rig IMO.

#18 ·
It's a very rigid belt, which is half the problem. I don't have much around the hips to pad and it tends to dig into the bone on either side.

#20 ·
I use a Miami Classic only on select occasions and wear it rarely. I never wear a belt/tie down with it. The loaded gun (G23) and magazines (2) are heavy enough to keep it from flopping around. Caveat: I've never busted into a full sprint while wearing it or anything.

OP: is it also a new belt? They break in a little over time. The discomfort that you describe may disappear after you wear it a little more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.