Crossbreed users...Anybody have this issue?

This is a discussion on Crossbreed users...Anybody have this issue? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Put on my new Crossbreed SuperTuck and M&Pc and went to the mall with my wife today. Had about 1/2hr drive to mall, then got ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossbreed users...Anybody have this issue?

Crossbreed users...Anybody have this issue?

Put on my new Crossbreed SuperTuck and M&Pc and went to the mall with my wife today. Had about 1/2hr drive to mall, then got out of the car and proceeded to walk approx. half way through the mall into a store. By chance decided to reach around and check my gun/holster. Felt an unusual space between grip and mag baseplate. Sure enough mag had gotten released. Got home and inspected the holster. There is a mark in leather backing right where the mag release sits up against. I reckon this released from pressure during sitting in car. I have about 8 other Crossbreed holsters for various guns and this is the first time this has happened. Needless to say this was concerning to me. BTW, I am 100% sure mag was fully seated when I left the house.

Anybody else have this happen to them?
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

2. Remove Ads

It hasn't happened to me, but there's an easy solution ... Relieve the leather where the mag release touches it.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I carry my PM9 in a Minituck. I've never had the mag release before in the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    It hasn't happened to me, but there's an easy solution ... Relieve the leather where the mag release touches it.
    Thanks for advice...I plan to do so.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

sometimes setting on a gun, no matter the holster can make this happen. do what majorlk said to do. should take care of the problem.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    No.

I have one glock with the extended mag release which i cannot carry in my supertuck because of this very problem.

Depending on the design of the mag release if it sticks out a fair bit it can be an issue with most any holster. Do you have the combat cut or standard? If you have the combat cut you could likely just change the cut line to allow it to clear the mag release. I saw pictures in another thread the other day about the same thing and that's what I would do.

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

I just attended a CCW class taught by Rhome, one of our members and a holster maker. Oddly enough, there was a significant discussion on holsters, and there were three items that you should watch for when you buy a new holster; the holster should not cover the mag release, it should allow complete access to a combat grip, and the sweat guard should not be too large because it will eventually fold and interfer with reholstering the firearm. There were people in the class who had difficulties with all of these problems, including one guy that would release his magazine every time he sat down!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

It has never happened with my Supertuck or my Black Ops Pro. Hopefully I will never have that problem.

In my experience it's very gun dependent, certain guns are more prone to it, for example a 1911 with an extended release seems to be a common one, some of the newer polymer guns with extended releases also seem to be more of an issue. It's certainly something to be aware of and check with any holster to make sure it's not an issue with your particular carry gun, but like in the case of the 1911, there are so many variations that it's hard to make certain anything will work 100%.

Another thing to note is that even with the mag release not touching leather you can actually have the same problem with certain releases that actually stick out slightly further than the sweat shield causing your body to actually touch the release(or clothing etc) causing the same behavior. I haven't run into this problem with any of my guns and holsters but I've heard a couple guys who have hit that with various holsters, and they had the mag release exposed.

Just some food for thought, like anything your going to depend your life on it's a good idea to try to test for all possible issues and if you find a problem then deal with it. Also I've heard pretty good things from Crossbreed as far as service, if your really concerned about it maybe give them a call and see what they suggest, they may have some input.

Good luck

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Nope, but . . . I have had a problem with the clips bending out and becoming too loose. That cross-shaped cutout in the metal weakens it.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

I have a CB holster for my glock 23/27. I have an extended mag release on the 23 and that causes the mag to release. i filed down the mag release just a bit of an angle to allow easier draw and that fixed the meg release issue as well.

Quote Originally Posted by onetuza View Post
    Nope, but . . . I have had a problem with the clips bending out and becoming too loose. That cross-shaped cutout in the metal weakens it.
    The new design clips have the shape embossed, so the metal isn't removed. Have you tried contacting them for replacements? I bet they'd swap them out for you.

I have a CBST for my G20 and G29 and I have had that happen to me a few times. Now that I think about it, I should have gotten the combat cut and that would eliminate that problem. OTOH, I have thought about cutting it down myself....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links