Is this holster, ok?

Is this holster, ok?

This is a discussion on Is this holster, ok? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to " carrying ".. Just use to shooting ( Now, Im getting into the whole scene, holsters, accessories, target shooting etc ). I just ...

Thread: Is this holster, ok?

Is this holster, ok?

New to " carrying ".. Just use to shooting ( Now, Im getting into the whole scene, holsters, accessories, target shooting etc ). I just bought this holster, because its for a Glock 17 ( My Smith & Wesson, is a "copy" of the Glock 17 ). I noticed that the muzzle of the gun sticks out a little bit. In the stock photo for this holster, it showed the gun sticking out a bit. I was just wondering if this is ok, acceptable, and safe to hold the firearm securely? The holster is a Bianchi 105 ( 13 / 15 ). 45$ at Gander Mountain.

It hides well under my XXL TALL shirts.

Should I " Wet fit " this holster? I was reading an article on how it helps form the leather to mold to your firearm.

Thanks guys

That holster is designed for the barrel to protrude, as long as you have a snug fit your OK. Some don't like to carry with a holster that exposes the barrel like that due to the gun getting pushed up when sitting down. If the barrel hits something it will push it up and out.

Also it leaves the bore with little protection from debris and foreign objects.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

if your comfortable with it than carry with it.
    but take all advice into consideration while doing so.
    It sucks when you have to pick your gun up off the ground.

if you have a Academy Sports go look there. i found a blackhawk Serpa holster for the S&W sigma .40 for $29.99.. Good holster and she stays locked in. if i can find the part number i will post it here for you... If i remember correctly it also fits the m&p's as well...
    "I would rather be Judged by 12, Than to be Carried by 6"

Thanks guys. You're rad... You got a hook up on tattoos here in Ohio! Any idea on the " wet fitting ", to wet the leather with warm water, insert gun for a couple hours, then let dry, and it will mold to your gun?

My biggest complaint against holsters like that as a SD carry holster is that, depending on the shape of your front sight, you stand a real chance of hanging up on the draw to the point that in a stressful situation, it could even cause you to lose control of the gun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by BmDubb View Post
    Thanks guys. You're rad... You got a hook up on tattoos here in Ohio! Any idea on the " wet fitting ", to wet the leather with warm water, insert gun for a couple hours, then let dry, and it will mold to your gun?
    Nope you gotta SOAK THE LEATHER,THEN I TAKE A SMALL ROUNDED OBJECT,COULD BE THE HANDLE ON A BUTTER KNIFE AND START RUBBING THE LEATHER FORMING IT AROUND THE CONTOURS OF YOUR GUN ON BOTH SIDES,YOU ALSO WANT TO FORM THE LEATHER INTO THE TRIGGER GUARD SO THAT IT HELPS RETAIN THE FIREARM,THEN LET HOLSTER AIR DRY AFTER REMOVING YOUR GUN AND WIPING THE MOISTURE OFF OF IT.oops caps were locked
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Just wanted to say for your money you can actually pick up a holster that is made for your gun rather than one that's close. Especially important in my opinion with an OWB without a retention strap of any kind.

If you want something in that price point I would recommend Galco or Bianchi or Don Hume or any of the off shelf holsters but I would try to get something that's designed for the gun.

I wouldn't wet mold the holster after the fact, again it's your money:) You shouldn't hurt much of anything but I can't see cobbling it so to speak rather than spending the same amount of money to get a holster that is already fit to the gun. Every holster company does things a little different but here is a little tutorial on making a holster and the wet molding section applies here.

JDLawhon.com - Holstermaking 101

Luke

What "Dukalmighty"said...... But, wrap your gun with plastic first, before you put it in the holster to dry.......
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

You can wrap the gun in plastic wrap but you will add a small amount to it's dimensions and you won't get as tight of a wet mold. Your further ahead just doing a good clean and oil on the gun afterwards.

That's the reason that holster makers that end up with gear that is too tight they suggest you wrap the gun in either plastic or wax paper and leaving the gun in the holster overnight, those few extra fractions of a mm are enough to loosen the holster up. It's amazing what those small little bits can do in the feel of the retention of a holster.

Luke

If you are going to wrap it, oil it first and then use Saran or cling type wrap just once around. If not, you will do just what Luke is saying...stretch it out. After you remove your gun from the holster and remove the Saran wrap, oil it again and wipe it down.

Be very careful when you sit down in public into an chair with arms! I have a real horror story that I related here on the forum some time ago but it involved a charity auction and some very important members of the community (including the Chief of Police and the mayor -- both very anti gun) seeing my Colt Officer's model take a plunge onto a hardwood floor because of a holster like that.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by luke213 View Post
    Just wanted to say for your money you can actually pick up a holster that is made for your gun rather than one that's close. Especially important in my opinion with an OWB without a retention strap of any kind.

If you want something in that price point I would recommend Galco or Bianchi or Don Hume or any of the off shelf holsters but I would try to get something that's designed for the gun.

I wouldn't wet mold the holster after the fact, again it's your money:) You shouldn't hurt much of anything but I can't see cobbling it so to speak rather than spending the same amount of money to get a holster that is already fit to the gun. Every holster company does things a little different but here is a little tutorial on making a holster and the wet molding section applies here.

JDLawhon.com - Holstermaking 101

Luke
    That's some good info on holster making, thanks for the link.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

That is actually one of the links that got me into holster making;) Good and easy to follow for someone just getting into working with holsters;)

Luke

Links