Can anybody help me with this mystery? - Page 2

Can anybody help me with this mystery?

This is a discussion on Can anybody help me with this mystery? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is a pics of my prototype, it is out being tested currently. There are a few changes that will be made but overall the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can anybody help me with this mystery?

Here is a pics of my prototype, it is out being tested currently. There are a few changes that will be made but overall the retention is great when someone other than the wearer tries to pull the gun out from the holster. We will post more on this holster later after it is tested more.
    Best,
    Rhome
    DGL

Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Del Fatti View Post
    Hey T:
    I can go you one better . I've got a 1958 Gaylord catalog with his verson pictured.

Rhome:
    You're welcome!
    Hey Matt,
    It wasn't my intention to one up you. I just happened to have a copy of the Seventrees page on my website to back up your assertion that it predates at least the 1970's. I do have a book by Chick Gaylord that shows the pull through snap, I just didn't have it scanned and loaded on my web. It would be great to see yours! Old catalogs fascinate me. Many times we think we are being original only to discover we are just reinventing the wheel.

T
    Second Best is not an option

Quote Originally Posted by T. Kanaley View Post
    Hey Matt,
    It wasn't my intention to one up you. I just happened to have a copy of the Seventrees page on my website to back up your assertion that it predates at least the 1970's. I do have a book by Chick Gaylord that shows the pull through snap, I just didn't have it scanned and loaded on my web. It would be great to see yours! Old catalogs fascinate me. Many times we think we are being original only to discover we are just reinventing the wheel.

T
    Hey T:
    Hell, I know that. I was just messin' with you.
    I think I built a PDF that should be here.....................Gaylord
    BTW, you'll notice it's a reprint.

Rhome:
    Nice looking holster.

Thats good stuff, Matt!

Most of it looks pretty crude compared to what's available nowadays, but that was the norm back then.

All a holster had to do back then was to perform as it was intended to do. Performance alone isn't quite enough now, as the quality of build matters just as much, which has raised the bar considerably.

T
    Second Best is not an option

I'm interested now in dating it approximately. Perhaps Tom at Alessi would agree to look at it, or at least give me some idea when they started using Velcro and when they ended production of this particular design. I'll post anything I learn--for general edification of anyone reading this unexpectedly interesting thread. Given the suppleness of its leather and seemingly unused Velcro, the holster appears newly made. As you guys have given it some place-in-time, I reckon somebody just stored for many years in pretty good mild conditions. Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by T. Kanaley View Post
    Thats good stuff, Matt!

Most of it looks pretty crude compared to what's available nowadays, but that was the norm back then.

All a holster had to do back then was to perform as it was intended to do. Performance alone isn't quite enough now, as the quality of build matters just as much, which has raised the bar considerably.

T
    Hey T:
    Yep we've had that conversation before, haven't we? The innovation was high but the craftsmanship or build quality wouldn't impress customers today.

Administrator
    Are we going to possibly see a return to the extremely fair Gaylord holster prices of $3, $4, $5, $6, $7.00 per holster?

I don't feel like getting ripped off paying as much as $20.00 to $25.00 for a M. Sparks or a Del Fatti holster.

Hey Matt. Thanks for posting that PDF.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Are we going to possibly see a return to the extremely fair Gaylord holster prices of $3, $4, $5, $6, $7.00 per holster?

I don't feel like getting ripped off paying as much as $20.00 to $25.00 for a M. Sparks or a Del Fatti holster.

Now that's funny! I'm sure you've probably seen these, a good book on/by Chic and a company that makes several of Chic's designs.

Handgunner's Guide: Including The Art Of The Quick Draw And Combat Shooting

BELL CHARTER OAK CUSTOM HOLSTERS
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

I guess we can do that when raw materials go back to that level and when $6000 a year is a pretty good income again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links