Can anybody help me with this mystery?

This is a discussion on Can anybody help me with this mystery? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought this used Alessi ankle holster last year--mostly just to own something of his, as I've never been interested in that mode of carry. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anybody help me with this mystery?

Can anybody help me with this mystery?

I bought this used Alessi ankle holster last year--mostly just to own something of his, as I've never been interested in that mode of carry. The seller described it to be made for a 2" J-frame revolver, which it is, but unfortunately not for a centennial model. The strap seems to be designed for securing the hammer because it doesn't wrap around the frame of my 342 and the trigger is completely exposed. It's very well made and in excellent condition, but I can't see how anything could be safely carried in it. Has anyone ever seen one constructed this way?

resized pic moved up ~ QKShooter
    Last edited by JD; February 7th, 2010 at 01:25 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Yikes, sorry the picture is so big. I couldn't figure-out how to edit it.

The hammer strap seams to be securing the gun in the holster, but it is hard to tell from the picture. If it were for belt carry, I would say no problem, but an ankle holster gets alot of jarring around just by walking, so I would say if you have a doubt about it, call them and see what may be worked outin a trade for something else, or maybe its a good excuse to by a gun with a hammer as a stablemate to the one you have. If in doubt, don't do.

I see you are in lexington.

It makes sense to me. If the hammer is locked down by the strap, it cannot come backwards then. Which I guess means no need to cover the trigger guard? Plus those are like 16lb pulls. That's my guess.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

It is Lou's "Pull through " design. I asked Lou years ago his permission to use this method of securing a gun in the holster and it isn't until now that I'm starting to design and make holsters of the "Pull Through" method. The snaps come together directly centered over the gun and yes I do believe that holster was designed for the S&W MDL 36 or any J-frame with an exposed hammer. Lou was and still is as far as I'm concerned a genius when it came to holster design and I feel honored to have corresponded with him through the years and to receive his blessing to be able to use this design.

Best,
    Rhome
    DGL
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Thanks everybody. And thanks Rhome for the ID and description. Given how the snaps converge, I see the logic of "pull-through". If only I had something to use it with (hmmm, what an excellent reason to do a little shopping!)

Quote Originally Posted by hayley View Post
    I bought this used Alessi ankle holster last year--mostly just to own something of his, as I've never been interested in that mode of carry. The seller described it to be made for a 2" J-frame revolver, which it is, but unfortunately not for a centennial model. The strap seems to be designed for securing the hammer because it doesn't wrap around the frame of my 342 and the trigger is completely exposed. It's very well made and in excellent condition, but I can't see how anything could be safely carried in it. Has anyone ever seen one constructed this way?

O.K., I resized your picture and pasted into the quote above. Feel free to replace your picture with it if you want but I was getting motion sickness scrolling back and forth to read your post.

To your holster. If you were using it for the hammered J-Frame that it was built for, the exposed trigger would be of no concern because the thumb break would be snapped behind the hammer and would prevent the hammer from moving rearward even if something snagged the trigger and tried to pull it.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Feel free to replace your picture with it if you want...

I guess I can't figure-out how that's done, but I appreciate the offer. (I do however know how to click-on these little smileys)

hayley:
    Many holsters designed and manufactured more than 30 or so years ago left the trigger exposed. Both wheel guns and pistols. That holster you have looks to be in very good to nearly new condition. However, I think it was made many years ago because it lacks the detailed molding and covered trigger guard of more recent Alessi holsters.

The pull through retention snap predates Alessi Holsters. The earliest versions I've seen were from Chic Gaylord. Although I believe Chic originated the design in the 1950's, I suppose it's possible that the concept predates Gaylord.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    O.K., I resized your picture and pasted into the quote above. Feel free to replace your picture with it if you want but I was getting motion sickness scrolling back and forth to read your post.

To your holster. If you were using it for the hammered J-Frame that it was built for, the exposed trigger would be of no concern because the thumb break would be snapped behind the hammer and would prevent the hammer from moving rearward even if something snagged the trigger and tried to pull it.

Hoss
    I agree with Hoss. That holster was not designed for internal hammer J-frames. Alessi is back in business and located about a mile from my house. Maybe you can send it back to them to modify. When I was in there recently I was shown a 20 year old daily-use holster that was in for repair and they were fixing and shipping at no charge to the customer. Give em' a call and ask for Tom.

Alessi Gun Holsters

Hey, Matt thanks for the history lesson. I never stop learning new things !

Best,
    Rhome
    DGL
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Del Fatti View Post
    hayley:
    ...The pull through retention snap predates Alessi Holsters. The earliest versions I've seen were from Chic Gaylord. Although I believe Chic originated the design in the 1950's, I suppose it's possible that the concept predates Gaylord.
    Definitely pre Alessi. Here's a page taken from a 1960's vintage Seventrees catalog.

Second Best is not an option

Administrator
    Chic Gaylord...I have not heard that name in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Kanaley View Post
    Definitely pre Alessi. Here's a page taken from a 1960's vintage Seventrees catalog.

Hey T:
    I can go you one better . I've got a 1958 Gaylord catalog with his verson pictured.

Rhome:
    You're welcome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links