off body carry idea

off body carry idea

This is a discussion on off body carry idea within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been reading all of the banter about pros and cons of off body carry. It seems one of the 'cons' is the possibility ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: off body carry idea

off body carry idea

I have been reading all of the banter about pros and cons of off body carry. It seems one of the 'cons' is the possibility of accidentally leaving your briefcase, bag, day runner, etc and forgetting to take it with you. (Thus, leaving a gun for a stranger to have and hold)
    I wonder if anybody has thought of utilizing one of those little alarms that goes off when you are more than 10 feet away from your kid?? Put one in your bag, and the alarm half in your pocket or on your belt; voila!! it is impossible to forget your bag!! Any one ever try that??
    I understand all of the other cons which include a BG taking your bag, etc, I also understand that you really shouldn't EVER be very far away from your piece; but this idea seems to solve at least one part of the dilemma.
    II Kings 2; 23-25

The dilemma should never exist to start with. If your firearm is not with you, then you're without.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Ringside: If you are asking, particularly the way you are asking, you already know the answer. It is evident in your post. The firearm stays on you--period, end of story, unless you are going to a gun range for practice and prefer to keep it in a case with other guns and ammo etc. or if you are a woman where the purse is the same as being on you. How about a fanny pack type holster? If it is inconvenient for you, then only carry it when it is convenient but do not compromise--too much at stake. A "what if"--your bag gets stolen and the gun in it is used to kill someone that same day. Please explain what you are going to say when the police come a callin and what are you going to say to yourself when you look in the mirror.

None for me, thanks.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Please explain what you are going to say when the police come a callin and what are you going to say to yourself when you look in the mirror.
    Ringside: Hey! Officer! Someone took my European carryall!

Cop: Your what?

Ringside: The...black, leather...thing with a strap.

Cop: You mean a purse?

Ringside: Yes, a purse. I carry a purse!

ok....so now an alarm is going off....it's still away from you....

it's not where you need it to be...and that is on your person. It's not about you leaving it as much as it is someone taking it from you...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Ringside: Hey! Officer! Someone took my European carryall!

Cop: Your what?

Ringside: The...black, leather...thing with a strap.

Cop: You mean a purse?

Ringside: Yes, a purse. I carry a purse!

My wife gave it to me...

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    ok....so now an alarm is going off....it's still away from you....

it's not where you need it to be...and that is on your person. It's not about you leaving it as much as it is someone taking it from you...
    Keep the 'alarm' with you, not in the bag.

I can see this as a viable option if you MUST carry off body. Options are always good.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Using an alarm to replace good training just doesn't seem to me to be a good idea!

Off body carry, simply put, increases your risk of not having your weapon when you need it the most.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I can see this as a viable option if you MUST carry off body. Options are always good.

Why would you ever NEED to carry off body? The only tiem my weapon is not on me, is if I am submerging myself in water intentionally such as the pool. But I put my shoulder rig on as soon as I get out. Yes, I am THAT guy, wet, in surf shorts, with a shoulder rig. Do I look rediculous? YES. Will it matter how I look when I need it? Only if I am carrying off body and accidently left my gun in the car.
    Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended

VIP Member
    Of course on-the-body carry is the number one choice.

For those who might have to carry off-the-body, your idea has some consideration and merit. Good creative thinking, and thanks for your input.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Try to wear a sun dress and carry on body. For women especially, sometimes off body is the only way.

Talking

It seems if a gun toter has already made the decision to carry off body; then the alarm would add a level of security and safety. I didn't plan on a debate of "on" vs "off" body carry; just offering up an idea that may have some teeth if you MUST carry in a bag, briefcase, etc. (IT was a gift) (european shoulder bag) cracking me up!
    II Kings 2; 23-25

Well it seems like a pretty decent idea to me as long as the alarm is on you and preferably not an audible one. If the alarm is in the bag, you just drew attention to it and possibly tipped someone off that there's something in it that you don't want to leave behind.

EDIT: Where in OKC are you?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Well it seems like a pretty decent idea to me as long as the alarm is on you and preferably not an audible one. If the alarm is in the bag, you just drew attention to it and possibly tipped someone off that there's something in it that you don't want to leave behind.

EDIT: Where in OKC are you?
    southwest okc
    II Kings 2; 23-25

Alarm as Self-Training Device

FWIW, this sounds like an excellent idea and one I will implement if/when I find myself carrying off-body.

Planning to be responsible with the bag and actually being responsible with the bag may end up being a learning process, given that, for me, carrying a gun at all is an entirely new experience.

The potential threat, in the past, of leaving the bag behind was not huge... could get all my cards canceled within half an hour if I managed to leave it behind for a time. Now? even 10 seconds of idiocy on my part could be life-threatening for someone - possibly me.

Expecting that I would have zip need of a retraining effort with regards to that bag would perhaps be an unreasonable expectation on my part.

Carrying an alarm on my person that would alert me that I've left my bag behind could be an excellent training method, and get me to a place of comfort in hopefully short order. This training practice need not be exercised while there is actually a gun in the bag. I could be training myself without that gun.

Knowing that in x months of use of that bag, I have exactly never left if behind unknowingly, I may decide I do not need that alarm.

Finding out that in x weeks of using that bag I have left it behind n times, would be an excellent learning that for me that off-body use is not a viable, responsible option.

In conclusion: Excellent idea. I will be using it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links