Anyone carry a Ruger GP100 4"?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a Ruger GP100 4"? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone carry a Ruger GP100 4" concealed IWB or OWB? Ever since I received my CCL last year, I have been carrying my trusty Glock. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry a Ruger GP100 4"?

Anyone carry a Ruger GP100 4" concealed IWB or OWB?

Ever since I received my CCL last year, I have been carrying my trusty Glock. I want to carry occasionally my Ruger GP100 4". I don't have a holster for it yet. I am assuming OWB would be the best but I would be interested IWB if it is feasible.

How do most people carry DA revolvers?
    Do they get a thumb break?

Also any custom holter maker that makes a concealable holster for the GP100 4" that is under $100?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Not a 4 inch GP100, but I have carried hubby's 6 inch GP100, wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. Even he was none the wiser, and he watches for printing.
    Check out Simply Rugged's pancake holsters, reasonably priced and great quality
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Not a 4 inch GP100, but I have carried hubby's 6 inch GP100, wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. Even he was none the wiser, and he watches for printing.
    Check out Simply Rugged's pancake holsters, reasonably priced and great quality
    Did you carry OWB or IWB?

Was it real heavy?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    OWB, but the Simply Rugged holsters can be purchased with a strap that converts it to IWB if you choose..
    Heavy, some would probably say so, but compared to my S&W 686+ with a 3 inch barrel it wasn't even noticeable to me. I've carried the Ruger in a Galco slide type holster on a few occasion and it rides a little higher than the Simply Rugged, making it easier to conceal the length of the barrel.
    Rob at Simply Rugged custom made the holster to ride slightly lower, I'm short waisted and a normal holster sits too high, even with lower waisted pants. Still the holster was here in a little over two weeks.
    I'm sure I'll have him make another one for my Model 29.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

If I'm in a revolver mood I carry a 3" GP100 or a 4" N-Frame in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II.

It's an IWB Holster that hides the gun well in my opinion.

Biker

OWB for me, but thinking about getting a IWB holster for my GP. I am really starting to prefer IWB.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    OWB for me, but thinking about getting a IWB holster for my GP. I am really starting to prefer IWB.
    Do you have a 4" GP?

What holster do you have now and what IWB do you plan on getting?

Mic
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Yes, OWB no thumb break.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    Do you have a 4" GP?

What holster do you have now and what IWB do you plan on getting?
    Yes, I have a GP 100 with 4 inch barrel. The holster I am currently using is a OWB Bianchi #5BH. It is ok for CC, but not the best. The plus side is it rides fairly high and tight. Easily covered. The negative is thumb break, which is great around the farm but not needed for CC. The trigger is exposed but the hammer is securely covered by the thumb break. I don't think it is an issue.
    I have not yet decided what IWB I want to get for it. I have been looking around while shopping for a new IWB for a full size 1911 and the selection the GP is limited.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Take a look at Sidegaurd holsters.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Just a heads up, my wait for a Silver Dollar Pancake from Simply Rugged is going on 10 weeks (not including a week for Christmas/New Years) even though their stated wait time is 4-6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by JMR1138 View Post
    Just a heads up, my wait for a Silver Dollar Pancake from Simply Rugged is going on 10 weeks (not including a week for Christmas/New Years) even though their stated wait time is 4-6 weeks.
    Thank you for the heads up. 4-6 weeks is long enough for me. Almost too long.

I did carry my 4" GP100 for a little while until I messed around with the sights and ran out of ammo before I could get it sighted in. I absolutely love carrying it. Ive only done it OWB with a Desantis holster. It does have a thumb break but wish I got it without the thumb break. The holster definitely has enough retention itself, so I just leave it unbuttoned.

This is the one although I do think they offer one without the thumb break. Commerce Storefront B2C

IWB may be feasible but idk if anyone makes an IWB holster for it. I have carried it IWB without a holster on a few occasions before getting the desantis holster. I found that the butt did shift around a lot but it wasnt uncomfortable.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnutty View Post
    Take a look at Sidegaurd holsters.
    I think Sideguard makes a OWB, IWB, and a IWB/OWB for the GP 100.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links