Question about Bianchi 9R shoulder holsters

This is a discussion on Question about Bianchi 9R shoulder holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I have a question about the Bianchi 9R shoulder holsters. Does anyone here know the difference between the Bianchi 9R-1 and the 9R-2? I ...

Thread: Question about Bianchi 9R shoulder holsters

Question about Bianchi 9R shoulder holsters

Hi,

I have a question about the Bianchi 9R shoulder holsters.

Does anyone here know the difference between the Bianchi 9R-1 and the 9R-2? I also saw somewhere that Bianchi made a 9R-3.

Anyway, somewhere on the Internet I read the 9R-1 is for J-frame revolvers and the 9R-2 is for K-frame revolvers.

Then I read that both of these holsters are the same size and will fit either J or K-frames and that the only difference is that the 9R-2 has belt loops so it can be carried 2 ways, (shoulder and belt), so Bianchi called it the 9R-2.

The reason I'm asking is I have a S&W Mod. 649 J-frame with a 2 1/8" barrel and I want a 9R for it but if they are for different size frames or different size barrels, I want to get the right one.

Which 9R will best fit the S&W Mod. 649 J-frame with a 2 1/8" barrel?

Oh yeah, do they retain the revolvers by use of a spring or elastic? Once again, I've read both and I figure it's one or the other but may be both.

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by mick53; February 9th, 2010 at 05:55 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I have a 9R-2. It has the belt loops and fits my Taurus 650CIA perfectly. I saw a 9R-3 on Gunbroker. It did not have the belt loops and was marked for 3" Colt Cobra and S&W Chief.

I have seen 9R's without the belt loops and with elastic retention. I think they were some of the early production. Mine has spring retention and is adjustable with a tension screw.

My guess is that either a 9R (9R-1?) or 9R-2 will work for your 649, but that the spring type will provide better retention. The 9R-3 is probably not what you want.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Thanks Woodlark!

From the designer

Bianchi's original 'upside down' shoulder holster is from the 60s and the revolver was held in place by an elastic closure over the split, as did Safariland's of the period. It was an effort to reproduce the performance of the Berns Martin "Lighting" upside down holster without using an expensive spring. Its replacement was the 9R, which did have a spring, but which spring was greatly simplified over the Berns Martin spring (which was inserted into the mouth of the holster, rather than the muzzle as with the 9R, which itself was an extension of what was learned with the Bianchi M27). The screw post is NOT a tension adjustment; it is there for the same reason as the Berns Martin stitched in welt: as a leverage point for the muzzle, and secondarily provides resistance to the pistol being 'snapped out' during a jump. The third version was intended to add coverage for the sharp hammer spur of Smith and Wessons, and the rear sight of the M19, and to provide ambidextrous carry on the belt. I was chief designer for Bianchi 1970-1990 and built the prototypes for the versions 1 and 2 of the 9R (not the 9). Richard Nichols, Australia

In my J frame days I had a 9R1 and it was comfortable but I didn't use it that much. The cream of the crop is the Alessi Guardian inverted shoulder holster. Very htf.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

The Alessi rig is well-executed, with the heavy influence of Seventrees' designs and construction in evidence. No production maker would dare have the design in its lineup unless they were paid up on their liability insurance for many years to come; thumbreaks on an upside down rig rely too much on the user, not the design. Speaking from hard-won experience in the courtroom.

I am not aware of how a holster maker can be held vicariously liable for an individuals use of his holster. Unless the maker knew it was a poor and unsafe design and continued to offer it anyway.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

"Legal" design

Ever been sued? When a firearm is involved, and the target is big enough (read, "insurance"), injuries are inevitable so lawsuits are inevitable (often brought by the widow), and the process is expensive. Let's assume no one on this forum has products liability insurance, but even with it, lawsuits are an unpleasant and expensive process even when you "win". In the case of this holster, it's about "foreseeability": if you can foresee the user forgetting to snap his holster, or failing to snap it up completely, or the 20 cents worth of fastener failing (you and I know they do), you can be (and holster companies have been) held liable. So you see, it's not necessarily about being held liable; it's about the great expense of defense. And if you are insured, you might become uninsurable with a suit or two. Long story short: don't invite lawsuits with a design; instead design to avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    Bianchi's original 'upside down' shoulder holster is from the 60s and the revolver was held in place by an elastic closure over the split, as did Safariland's of the period. It was an effort to reproduce the performance of the Berns Martin "Lighting" upside down holster without using an expensive spring. Its replacement was the 9R, which did have a spring, but which spring was greatly simplified over the Berns Martin spring (which was inserted into the mouth of the holster, rather than the muzzle as with the 9R, which itself was an extension of what was learned with the Bianchi M27). The screw post is NOT a tension adjustment; it is there for the same reason as the Berns Martin stitched in welt: as a leverage point for the muzzle, and secondarily provides resistance to the pistol being 'snapped out' during a jump. The third version was intended to add coverage for the sharp hammer spur of Smith and Wessons, and the rear sight of the M19, and to provide ambidextrous carry on the belt. I was chief designer for Bianchi 1970-1990 and built the prototypes for the versions 1 and 2 of the 9R (not the 9). Richard Nichols, Australia
    Thank you for the information from "the horse's mouth". I have several 9R holsters and really like them, but it is good to know more about their history.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Links