Grandfather Oak Holsters

Grandfather Oak Holsters

This is a discussion on Grandfather Oak Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any experience with Grandfather Oak holsters. Any pro's, con's? Any experience with their customer service?...

Thread: Grandfather Oak Holsters

Grandfather Oak Holsters

Any experience with Grandfather Oak holsters. Any pro's, con's?
    Any experience with their customer service?

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Do not own one but as for a kydex pocket holster it is as good as it gets. I purchased a FIST pocket holster only because it has a prominent thumb push, but it appears that the grandfather also has a small area that you can use for thumb push; the grandfather is cheaper and if I did it over again I would have purchased the grandfather. If you are pocket carry and want to vary the thumb push, you can always glue a piece of bicycle tire at the perfect point for your needs--works just as good. I am of the opinion that the holster is hidden, it is not there for looks and if it works, is durable (kydex is and the grandfather looks like it is as good as any of them) you cannot go wrong. I do not know if your are pocket carry but if you are look at FIST and compare to grandfather.

I have a Hidden Companion IWB for my PF9. Light and stone simple, appropriate for the light weight of the Keltec.

The fastener for the belt loop needs to be tightened occasionally - no problem.

I never really thought about it, but the stiffness of the "sweat guard" side of the holster I have allows it to be used as a thumb push...no extra feature required. I use the thumb push motion when removing the holster from the weapon prior to putting the weapon away.

The holster took forever to arrive (11+ weeks last spring) other than that, no complaints so far, and I've carried regularly with it since last spring. When I sent a note after 11 weeks of waiting, they did reply promptly.

best,

Dave

Bought mine in Jan 2007. At that time service was good. About two years ago I saw threads on forums about bad service, but since then I believe they have gotten their act together again.

I use a SmartCarry 99% of the time and only use the pocket holster where my SmartCarry might be exposed such as doctors' appointments. So it hasn't really had much use, but it is as good as new after over three years of occasional use.

Why I like my Grandfather Oak Pocket Companion for my P-3AT with ArmaLaser.
    Stockdesigns
    1] Very Light
    2] Very Thin
    3] Does Not Absorb Sweat
    4] Stays In Place In Pocket
    5] Gun Snaps In Very Positively, yet ...
    6] Draws Easily, and ...
    7] Holster Stays In Pocket During Draw
    8] Will Probably Never Wear Out
    9] Not Expensive
    10] Needs No Maintenance

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

I have one for a NAA mini. My only complaint is it is splitting. I think this is because the material is so thin which is one of the attractions of the holster itself. Also though all issues were resolved do not hesitate to call and talk to them. I found that sometimes they have "internet issues" and will not respond.

I bought their Hidden Companion for a KelTec PF9 at a gunshow. One month later I found that it was splitting. I called them and they told me to send it to them for a replacement. Cool, that was easy. I mailed it to them the next day.
    I waited three weeks and had not heard a word from them so I called them and left a message for them to return my call. They didnt. The next day I callled them again. The fellow told me it would take 6 to 8 weeks for them to complete my order and to send them an inquiry via email for an update. I sent the email and after 3 days have heard nothing in return. Hhhhhhm. Maybe it's just me but I think that is pretty poor customer service. They produce them in advance to sell at gunshows but dont have any in stock to replace a defective one. Poor customer seveice indeed.

I used one for pocket carry with my P-32. I really liked the holster but mine cracked also. First two times I used epoxy to fix it, third time I threw it in the trash.

I have a couple holsters from them: one OWB that took only a few weeks, and the other IWB that took forever and a day (I'm talking 3+ months...for a simple kydex). On the initial sales call I had with them they spent a great deal of time with me answering questions and were very friendly; subsequent calls offered no explanation or any real time estimate as to why my other order was taking so long.

To add futher insult, I encountered them twice over this time at major local gun shows where they had the exact holster I ordered, for the exact firearm I ordered it for in stock for sale at the show. Both times I told them (nicely) who I was and that I had one of these on order for a very long time and could I please just get this one and cancel my order? They replied they couldn't do that-even if my order had not yet been made and neither even when I offered to pay right then and there. When I finally received my order in the mail, there was not even a note acknowledging my order let alone some kind of apology; just the holster in a box.

The holsters were just okay; the customer service I experienced was maddening however.

YMMV.

I have to echo the other comments regarding customer service. Not really bad, but not stellar. Little communication and pretty long wait time.

I've ordered two from them for my PF9, the Hidden companion and the pocket companion. Did not like the Hidden, it rode too high which made the barrel dig into my side. I got rid of that and ordered the Pocket and I love it. I have shaved bits of kydex off to make it perfect but I really do like it as a pocket holster.
    "Yes I am a Pirate!"

Well, I guess I will have to "bite the bullet" on this one and just wait it out. I like the holster, I dont like the way they are treating me. Hope I get it soon.

Oh, to look on the bright side, this incident has prodded me to try the holster again that I bought with the PF9. I wasnt sure about it upon purchase. Big old piece of leather with a KYDEX pocket shaped like a PF9 riveted on the front. I kinda thought it was ugly, but what the hay, it came with the gun. Ya know what? Its a whole lot more comfy, with my fatness and all. Been wearing it all day and I have to remember that its there.

Thank you Grandfather

Sponsored Links