Help in modifying a leather holster...

This is a discussion on Help in modifying a leather holster... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've purchased a Galco S.A.O. Outdoorsman holster for a Ruger Single Six .22. It's the best holster I know of for the single action .22, ...

Thread: Help in modifying a leather holster...

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Help in modifying a leather holster...

I've purchased a Galco S.A.O. Outdoorsman holster for a Ruger Single Six .22. It's the best holster I know of for the single action .22, however, my .22 has a barrel length of 4 and 5/8". Galco doesn't make this holster for that barrel length.

My idea is to simply shorten the bottom of the holster. So I'm looking at cutting off the bottom 1 and 3/4" of the holster.

I was looking for advise on how you would do that, and what you would do with the new cut edge, if anything.

Looking at a picture (attached) it looks like I'll be running into the threads.

So what advise or direction can you offer? Have any of you ever done something like this with a leather holster?

I'm doing this becasue I got a very good price on the holster and I like how the top of the holster is molded a bit and it can be worn either crossdraw or strong side!

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Gideon

2. Remove Ads

I do not see the picture.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Oops! Here's the picture
    Attached Images

If there's a Tandy leather in your area, you can pick up a punch, needles and waxed thread. You should be able to pull the existing thread back about an inch above where you cut and tie, then re-stitch with the new needles and thread. Get the punch in case you have to put in new holes. PS, they also have holster kits, you might be able to modify theirs easier. You will have to stitch the whole holster.

Cut it a little longer than what you want so you'll have room to smooth the cut after finished and not end up to short (don't allow the sight to come out the bottom) . You can work the new edge with files/sandpaper/Dremel/etc. ; any stitching that was cut can be re-sewn by hand(The Speedy Stitcher-sewing awl *** Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl | Sewing Tool - Hand Tool - Stitch Repairs *****). Restitch the end using the thread holes already there(use about 5 holes from bottom to top)remove tool and cut bitter-end of thread. Then tan as needed/wanted.
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

Links