Raven Concealment Phantom OWB option I'm trying : *Photo Heavy Post

This is a discussion on Raven Concealment Phantom OWB option I'm trying : *Photo Heavy Post within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A little background since I don't post here often. Just to get this out of the way, I've skulked here for quite some time before ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raven Concealment Phantom OWB option I'm trying : *Photo Heavy Post

A little background since I don't post here often. Just to get this out of the way, I've skulked here for quite some time before joining because I'm a LEO that is pro-concealed carry for citizens that can legally do so. Sometimes I feel like a pretty rare breed around other officers. But, I like coming here to gather information for various reasons.

For the last 12 years, my assignment has been executive protection. Sights like this help me professionally in a number of ways. It helps me to be aware how I can carry better for my job, new holster designs, understand CCW attitudes and mindset of the public, etc.

So, like most of you, I'm always in search of a better holster, a better way, a better method. I've tried a lot of them as I've had to carry in other countries, jurisdictions and environments.

I've been trying a Raven Phantom for a few months now. There are some great things about this holster that I like a lot, but it has been a challenge for me to find way to use it that I was comfortable with. Luckily for the holster it is very versatile, so, I was persistent in trying to make it work.

I don't know if this method of attachment has been covered here before or not. If it has, I apologize for the duplication. But if not, maybe it will help someone else with the same issues I have.

The firearm I'm using this for is a G36, and my normal attire is a business suit.

I originally bought this holster to give IWB one more try after many attempts over the years. The Raven, I have to admit, was much more comfortable than any other IWB holster I had tried, save one; the Tucker Texas Heritage. But, the TTH is not as versatile as the Phantom. IWB is very tolerable with the Phantom, but, it still wasn't as good as what I wanted for everyday work when some of my days run 16 hrs. However, it is nice to know I can do IWB if I have to.

So, I tried other attachment methods with the Phantom. I tried the loops for belt carry. The gun rode comfortably, but I found, for me it did not pull the gun close enough to my body to reduce printing to a level I was comfortable with. The problem was mostly the butt of the grip.

I also tried putting the loops on the outside of the holster and wearing the holster between my belt and trousers. Still, this printed, not to mention that it felt identical to IWB.

Next I tried their paddle attachments. I got about the same amount of printing and the holster tended to slide along the belt. Additionally, it was not all that secure. The area of the attachments that keep the holster from sliding up past the belt are a tad too vague and need more of a positive hook to keep it on the belt. It was very comfortable though.

You may be wondering why I didn't try the pancake wing attachments Raven sells to try to pull the gun in closer to me. These may have worked to do that, but I find that I have a need to be able to remove my holster, with the gun in it, at times. Though the need to do this is very seldom, it is a necessity.

So, I took all the attachments I had and started trying different configurations. This is what I came up with and have been trying the last few weeks.

IWB Tuckable Overhooks installed backwards for OWB carry. This seems to be solving a few things for me.

1. The most comfortable configuration of this I've found.

2. It seems to pull the gun in very, very tight to my body. In doing so, it also seems to increase the retention of my gun in the holster, thus requiring a little more firm draw. In my opinion, it is now perfect for an adrenaline infused draw.

3. Though it is not easy, it does come off the belt without removing the belt. It does install on the belt easily.

4. It does not allow the holster to shift forward or back too easily. It maintains it's position on the belt extremely well.

I don't know how the stress will effect the overhooks. They may crack over time, or if someone were to try to flex it up from the bottom of the holster. Only time will tell, but it feels pretty sturdy.

Here are the photos. I hope that maybe this is of help to someone out there:

Thank you for providing that info. I just recently aquired a Phantom for my M&Pc. I may just order up a set of those iwb clips and give it a try. That function is very similar to one of my favorites, Desbien IWB #3. Garrity also makes a holster that can go from iwb to owb by rotating the clips.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

That certainly pulls the gun in tight.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

That looks like the nicest OWB kydex holster I've seen. It certainly holds the gun close to your body.

excellent post. thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Thanks for posting. Looks like that thing gets pulle nice and close to the waist!

Nice review. By the way, have you ever tried a Brommeland MaxCon V IWB holster? As a professional that has to be armed 24/7 you cannot beat the comfort.

That looks great! I may have to try that when my Phantom finally comes in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Napa Nick View Post
    Nice review. By the way, have you ever tried a Brommeland MaxCon V IWB holster? As a professional that has to be armed 24/7 you cannot beat the comfort.
    Yes. But you know, I have tried many comfortable IWB's; the MaxCon, Tucker Texas Heritage, Milt Sparks Versa Max II, Alessi Hideout,...the list goes on. Believe me when I say, I have made far more than a fair effort in the IWB area. It's just not my preference, but I can do it if I have to; and there are times that I have to. On duty, if I have to use one, my preferred model is the above mentioned Alessi. Off duty with a 3 inch 1911, it is the above mentioned Tucker.

This is what I think I've learned over the years of trying what I know are some of the finest IWB's over the years. For me, it is not the holster, necessarily, that makes wearing IWB uncomfortable for me. I think the real problem is that my weight fluctuates 5-10 pounds (largely due to my work schedule and travel) and my waist size is simply inconsistent. Not inconsistent enough to need new pants or a belt every month, but certainly enough that when I start wearing equipment on the belt and then put something large, like a gun, between my body and the belt, it can be uncomfortable at times.

MAJOR concealment! That full size Glock totally disappears.

Be careful about those fumes when you are warming the kydex sheets for molding.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Interesting! I had been considering this Raven Concealment OWB for my upcoming switch to carrying the "primary" gun in lefty mode. (Old injuries are plaguing my right wrist, elbow, and shoulder, causing mobility and grip strength problems.) I have long preferred OWB for comfort and draw speed, and am a largely a lefty anyway. (I will still carry a weapon on the right side, in case I revert to habit and reach there.)

Edited to add: Oops, forgot to mention, welcome to the forum! There are plenty of us LEOs who are believers in the private citizen carry of defensive weapons.
    Last edited by Rexster; February 16th, 2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: clarification, and added a welcome

Thanks you so much for posting this! I sent an e-mail to Jay asking him about this set-up with regard to the stress on the IWB overhooks. I will post here if he responds to me.

Have you noticed any stretching or deforming of the clips since you started carrying like this? I have a couple of holsters coming from RCS, and may add a couple sets of these clips to try this out!

No. So far no adverse effects on the clips that I can see. Everything is holding fine. About 3 weeks of wear.

The Raven Concealment Systems Phantom is MY favorite holster, leather OR Kydex. I find the Phantom with the original OWB mounting as shown on the Malabar website holds mine as tightly to my hip as many of the IWB holsters I've tried!

When ordering, however, it IS important to specify 1.25 inch hooks if, as I do you're going to be using a 1.25 inch belt. Otherwise, you'll be sent the standard 1.5 inch mounting hardware attached and there'll be some slippage.

I have been running the Raven Concealment holster for about a year now. It is by far my favorite holster. I have tried several other holsters in the past (leather and Kydex) and this product is excellent.

Most of the time I run it IWB w/ the offset C-Clips. I had to heat and adjust the clips slightly but otherwise it is a great setup. Really conceals well, fast draw, great retention, and very slim profile. The slim profile comes from two pieces of kydex rivoted together instead of one piece folded.

I have also tried the paddle attachment, interesting but not as exciting as it could be. Overall, this holster is the most versatile on the market IMHO and I doubt I'll look at anything else.
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links