What would you want to see in a holster review?

This is a discussion on What would you want to see in a holster review? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Craiger I would say I look for comfort and I mean real comfort! Say in a 1911 I dont want the hammer, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you want to see in a holster review?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
    I would say I look for comfort and I mean real comfort!
    Say in a 1911 I dont want the hammer, the grip safety or the muzzle
    leaving marks on my skin after a 14 hour with any IWB.

I also look for some type of reinforced opening for easy reholstering and a sweet shield that is double layered and stitched or has some type of other method preventing sweet shield from looking like a floppy eared hound dog after the first week you have the holster.
    Good points. I'm so tiny I really don't put any pressure on the sweat shields to the point where they would collapse but as my husband is a little bit of a "bigger boy" he has also been carrying the holsters to give his joint opinion on how comfortable they are or how they work and last with a larger individual carrying them.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by luke213 View Post
    I would suggest at this point to actually shorten them some, maybe 10-15 minutes would be better for my impressions.
    This is my goal. I'm trying to condense and reorder so that I'm not repeating myself or jabbering and cutting the videos down to around 15 minutes. I, too, think that your 5 min reviews are just not enough and watching how it draws and how it does in a "grab" type environment are very important to me which is why I have incorporated them.

Great idea, and thank you for putting in so much time to provide great content.

Having you & your husband compare fit/comfort is a great idea. You mentioned you have a long torso; do you have any female friends who are short in stature/waist? My wife would be an extreme example: she's 4' 10", and short waisted to boot. Sometimes I wonder if she's missing a vertebrae! Anyway, since fitting her w. an on-body carry solution is going to be up there with finding the Holy Grail, any coverage of how well different holsters can accommodate a female who's vertically challenged, rather than just skinny, would be very much appreciated!

Thanks again.

Oh, and FWIW I experienced something I've read here as an issue affecting perhaps 10-15% of the Crossbreed Supertuck users. Drew my M&P full-size pistol, and the magazine flew out of the grip & landed on the counter in front of me! The leather backing has no recess to avoid pressing on the mag release button, and had pushed enough on the button to release the mag.

As I've learned from the intertubes, the official vendor solution is to wet the leather and form the leather to relieve pressure on the button. I'll DIY rather than return the holster; other than this issue, I've been quite pleased w. it. If/when you get to a review of this holster, I encourage you to cover the possibility of this problem.

Oh, and a pet peeve of mine: good lighting (particularly for close-ups), and reasonable focus control. But now I'm being seriously picky for free content. :-)

Some coverage of belts would probably be well received, too!

well i'll let eveyone know on here about my IWB super tuck, and post a vid for all too see..

just have wait till i get it 2-3 weeks..

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    personally i dont care what firearm is in the holster...i want to see how the holster fits the body of the wearer, whether it holds the gun tight to the body and how high it rides...i can figure out how my gun is going to ride by looking at the way the holster fits whatever youre carrying in it....if i limited my searches to holsters with only my gun in them i would probably be missing out on a holster or 2 that might work for me but i skipped....

Thanks for continuing this trek.

For me I'd like to see reviews grouped with some consistent scoring of features (1-5?). For instance, perhaps after reviewing individual IWB holsters, make a video comparing the most popular that are similar (like Crossbreed, MTAC and Tucker Answer), feature by feature and overall. If possible, maybe you can have a larger bodied man try them also and give you his feedback which you include the differences in your reporting.

Since I can't buy 1 of each and send all but "The One" back, this would be the next best thing.

Thanks again.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post

For me I'd like to see reviews grouped with some consistent scoring of features (1-5?). For instance, perhaps after reviewing individual IWB holsters, make a video comparing the most popular that are similar (like Crossbreed, MTAC and Tucker Answer), feature by feature and overall. If possible, maybe you can have a larger bodied man try them also and give you his feedback which you include the differences in your reporting.

Since I can't buy 1 of each and send all but "The One" back, this would be the next best thing.

Thanks again.
    I already have my husband try them and get him on video concealing and carrying as I do understand that not all holsters fit bigger guys like the fit small gals and vis versa.

I have also been considering using some kind of a "rating" system to help people narrow down selections and whether they are looking at a good holster or a not-so-good one.

It's hard to do comparisons because if someone is buying their first holster and they see you comparing to holsters they've never tried before then it's hard for them to say whether the comparison is good or bad.

I see what you mean about certain features being comparable but it might also get pretty lengthy if I spent a lot of time comparing to other holsters and I'm trying to shave time.

HMMMmm..

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post

Thanks again.

Well as soon as i get my IWB supertuck in and get a chance to make vid and posted it , i'll will link it to all of you to see...

i'm 6ft2 300 is my size... so i'll posted it in about 2 weeks or less depend on crossbreeds shipping ...
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Limatunes (Lima?), Whatever you decide I know it will be done well. What more can anybody ask? I proffered my thoughts to make sure they are on record as it's better to be heard than ruminate over something kept to yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links