Tunnel Loop + wing loop style holster?

This is a discussion on Tunnel Loop + wing loop style holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone ever used this style of holster (not necessarily the Del Fatti, but the style with a tunnel loop, and then another "wing" (don't ...

Thread: Tunnel Loop + wing loop style holster?

Tunnel Loop + wing loop style holster?

Has anyone ever used this style of holster (not necessarily the Del Fatti, but the style with a tunnel loop, and then another "wing" (don't know the technical term) loop to the rear? It looks like it would hold the grip tighter to the body than a pancake. Here's another example of the style.

I've got a bit of a spare tire, and find that it pushes the butt of the gun outward with a pancake holster, causing what my other half likes to call "hip wood". Would this be an effective alternative to combat this problem?

Also, are the IWB versions of these holsters comfy for all day carry on a "well eaten" guy's frame (like well traveled, y'know? )?

Thanks in advance as always, guys and gals!
    Last edited by Ananael; February 17th, 2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: to add second image

2. Remove Ads

"Hip wood". Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    "Hip wood". Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.
    Ya, she busts my up!

I have IWB's, OWB's, and paddle holsters that all hug the body tightly.
    I've had other hoslters that did not...that's why they invented the holster box.

I have found that holster type does not necessarily mean 'tight' to the body, but rather the holster maker...Which holster maker? Get a holster box...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That holster was first designed by noted holster maker Bruce Nelson and a variation was later made famous by Col. Charles Askins and known as the Askins Avenger as produced by Bianchi Holsters. Informally the design is known as a tunnel/loop holster and made in different variations by past and present holster makers. Because it's a 1 piece wrap around design, it's a thicker holster then the 2 piece pancake style of holster.
    The pancake style does tend to pull the pistol in closer to your body and generally conceales better then a wrap around design.
    Randy

I own the second holster you show, with the snap at the rear instead of the slot. I asked John at 5 Shot to make it for me because the snap makes putting the holster on easier than trying to thread a thick belt through the slot, pant loop and rear tunnel on the conventional type.

While I've been a fan of these types of holsters for years for various uses, mainly because I'm fond of the reinforced mouth and easy reholstering, I don't find it to be as concealable for me as a good pancake. I don't know what type of pancake you're using that doesn't work for you, but have you tried a top quality custom made one? My current favorite OWB holsters are snap loop designs like the Alessi CQC/S and 5 Shot SAP. I have several examples from different makers and all carry the gun very tight to my body, seemingly more so than the Nelson/Askins style for me.

As for IWB, I'm a big guy and I prefer the Sparks VM2. I have them for all my guns and they're good for all day carry.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Thanks all. Sounds like I'm having a quality problem, rather than a style problem. I really appreciate the info!

Links