Defensive Carry banner

How Long

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Denster 
#1 ·
Not delivery time, but how long does it really take to actually produce a holster? I realize that different materials would affect the process. But does it take days, hours, weeks?

#2 ·
I'm not a professional and I make leather holsters and mag pouches for my guns and a few friends,It takes me about 6 hours to design a pattern around the gun and cut it out,stitch it up and then wet the leather and form it around the gun,then overnight to dry,then dye and seal the leather.I believe the pros have sewing machines and techniques they have learned over the years that make their holsters look better than mine and they can probably do them in half the time,one little slip and it can leave an unacceptable mark in the leather

#3 ·
I've got my patterns pretty well figured out so lets say I'm making one of my normal holsters for a 1911 I would guesstimate around 5 hours or so of time to get it all done. I could cut that time down allot with a sewing machine and at some point I likely will but I like hand stitched holsters, you have less worry about the stitch coming out.

It's really hard to say an exact time at least for me because there is quite a bit of waiting between steps for either adhesives, leather, dye, acrylic top coat all to dry. So consider that my guess at how long it takes, could be less but I would say it's probably conservative.

Luke

#4 ·
I just know about leather holsters made in a factory. It depends on how custom you want the holster. Plain jane it would take an hour to cut, sew, mold, and finish. But in between you have to wait a couple drying periods. One when you block, one after you oil the holster, and then another after you put a sealer on the leather.

In the southwest this can take up to two separate days, but should be left out to dry for a week. In other areas with humidity, whoo doggy, who knows... :blink:
Add some artistry in there (like hand tooling) and that is a few more hours up to another day.

But with factories it is easier, faster, and more economical to make 500 of one type than 3 completely different holsters. This is due to having to change your set up for each new holster. You have to change the Die(metal cutter), the sewing machines set up, the type of stain, ect...
It's like if you're making pasta and two different sauces, a red and a white. You have to completely clean the pots, heat, and what not before you start on the new one.

#6 ·
What kind of sewing mechine does it take to sew a holster? How do you keep the presser foot and the feed dogs from leaving marks? I'd guess some kind of walking presser foot would be a good place to start. ????

#7 ·
There are specially designed stitching machines with foot and feed dogs that are generally smooth. One reason you can't use those same foot and feed dogs for normal cloth because it won't grab correctly.

3-4 days from start to finish for normal holsters. Exotics can take a few days more.

#9 ·
With an allready developed pattern, depending on the features of the holster, between one to two hours of actual working time. Drying times are not a factor as you are doing something else. This assumes machine sewing.
Machine sewing always leaves marks. In any case you need to close the stitches, or should, by lightly casing the leather and tapping or rolling and this also removes the marks from the machine.

#10 ·
Good stuff to know thanks..... Monk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.