Non-Standard and Custom Holster Options -- thigh, bra, fanny pack, purse etc. - Page 2

Non-Standard and Custom Holster Options -- thigh, bra, fanny pack, purse etc.

This is a discussion on Non-Standard and Custom Holster Options -- thigh, bra, fanny pack, purse etc. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Very helpful Caguiets! And excellent examples of how/why we need to practice with any of our carry options....

View Poll Results: What is your preferred non-standard Holster/Carry option?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thigh holster

7 10.29%
  • Bra holster

2 2.94%
  • Belly Band

7 10.29%
  • Purse holster

7 10.29%
  • Fanny Pack

24 35.29%
  • Other (underwear, no holster, whatever)

24 35.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Non-Standard and Custom Holster Options -- thigh, bra, fanny pack, purse etc.

Very helpful Caguiets! And excellent examples of how/why we need to practice with any of our carry options.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Good videos on Safepacker....I didnt watch all yet.

But I do have some objections to that much velcro...it is noisy! Both my purses have plastic-covered zippers which are quieter, even when being 'ripped' open quickly, and nearly silent when done slowly.

Just something else to consider.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Gun Totin' Girly Clothes -- An option at all?

<snip>
    Last edited by merischino; February 20th, 2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: I noticed a double post.

Gun Totin' Girly Clothes -- An option at all?

Again, thanks to everybody for the consideration and ideas!

Cageuites (sp?) -- excellent thoughts on the Safepacker. All good to know. Will need to go watch all the videos.

Rexster and others -- yes, the G22 is a full size gun. It may prove extremely difficult to conceal. I may find myself having made a poor choice. (The choice is not yet final) That choice, thus far, is based upon the following belief, hopefully not outright wrong: my ability to actually shoot the gun when faced with adversity trumps concealability concerns, recognizing that my ability to conceal the gun will unltimately drive whether or not I actually *have* the gun when facing adversity.

It all seems like such a delicate balance that I just have to assume that whatever gun I get first will not necessarily end up as my EDC. And I also have to recognize that, whatever gun I get (possibly later?) as my EDC need not function as my worst nightmare scenario gun -- the one I'll have by my bedside, accessible in the dark, able to shoot in the dark with sweaty palms as some BG attempts to kill me or worse in my own home. I guess what I'm saying is, I dearly love the idea of having this G22 act as my EDC for now and a long time to come. But not having my CCW permit yet and having a bf who totes, I feel able to give myself some time on arriving at the EDC actual.

The balancing act and the very wide, wide variety of issues/scenarios to consider have been leading me to think that, if the G22 turns out to be completely inappropriate for EDC, it will at least having been shot in the range with over 50 rounds of ammo to establish my actually being able to shoot it, be eminently shootable in a threat scenario wherever I find one where it is accessible to me.

I could be right, I could be totally off base in thinking this way. I have had issues, real issues, with grip and stability trying to shoot more compact semi-autos. I have had issues, not huge huge insurmountable, but big and uncomfortable in a way that would prevent regular practice, with shooting j-frame revolvers. In actual practice, it seems to me that if a j-frame revolver is out, and if a subcompact or compact semi-auto grip is out, then a G22 is a very relevant and comparable choice to say a k-frame revolver or other full-size semi-autos.

Also, the G22 is not some huge chunky honking block of brick when compared to a G26/33/27/36/19/29/32/23/30. The difference in size and shape appears to me when the two guns are compared side-to-side to be "marginal" in nature. How less than 1" difference in total length or total height translates in actual life experience to carry-ability may indeed be a brick-like difference, but I confess my newbie expectations having shot all these guns and actually compared them to eachother in life and in hand, not just in pictures, the differences in size don't seem all that great.

(aside: also, total length and weight compared to an all-steel j-frame not a titanium/alloy ultralite which I eliminated seems an enlightening comparison. 28 oz of steel revolver thats "carryable" vs. 27 oz of polymer semi-auto that's not? I don't have the exact weights here but the weight size differential argument seems moot.)

I have not looked closely at every gun out there. I have not been able to look closely (aka actually practice shooting) all the wonderful recommendations on alternate guns I've received from the good folks on this board. The sad fact is that I am not able to get my hands on a Kahr or a Springfield XD or a Sig P239 to actually shoot one on the range and get my issues answered as regards those particular guns.

I have been told, by many both here on the boards and in my life, that actually shooting a gun is a prerequisite to buying a gun.

All of the above said -- I'm not "sold" on the gun til I own it.

All of the above said, and recognizing that I am not an LEO, the G22 is among the widest distributed LEO handguns out there and it is my belief that a huge proportion of those G22s are being carried concealed very effectively every day as those officers' primary weapon.

I am assuming, therefore that however chunky the G22 is, concealability *is possible* and *feasible* on an EDC basis.

(I do recognize that these folks likely don't carry their G22s in alternative holster options.)

Your disagreements and opinons are welcome!

Pax -- as always you make a great case. I am with you 100% as regards purse carry options and will definitely check out the Gun Totin Mamas. If I do carry in a purse, it will likely be my 3rd, least favorite and least often used carry option.

What I wear:

Sleeveless or halter-top sundresses with, for the most part, fairly flowing skirts. Bodices are form fitting.

Slim fitting or a-line knee-length or higher skirts with short or long-sleeved cross-your-heart type or v-neck blouses, where the blouse is not as form-fitting.

Occasionally, soft-cotton or spandexy blend (but not tight) fabric pants with one of the above blouses or maybe a fairly loose but not baggy button down-shirt, most likely sleeveless.

Almost never: jeans and a loose fitting top of any kind; jacket (formal blazer, raincoat, fleece zipper-front, or windbreaker)

Never: actual coat for cold weather.

I happen to absolutely love sundresses. I hope not to have to eliminate them because they are the most comfortable, most attractive, and most affordable clothing option for me. What I will absolutely have to do, if I'm to keep the sundress wardrobe choice, is find an *excellent* not just good or great thigh holster, and adapt to carrying in this manner on an everyday basis.

Giving up the sundresses as an everyday wear thing because of the holster experience TBD means I'll have to focus primarily on the skirts and blouses until such time as I can expand my wardrobe to adapt better to the gun. That means I'll likely have to have an easily accessible upper-body mode of carry, which is why I'm focusing on something like belly-band or a bra holster. The simple fact is, these blouses tend to end at hip-level not at waist level, so an IWB or OWB would be covered and thereby inaccessible at best and chunky in a place that would draw the eye to it at worst.

I could wear an IWB or OWB easily with my jeans, and potentially depending upon the blouse options (bad for this) also with my non-denim pants. I will definitely need to adopt a belt. I have several, none of which are of the thickness or quality that would make me believe them to be eligible for holster carry.

I think that if I absolutely perhaps irrationally insist on the sundresses, a purse not a fanny pack would be the choice of the day. I am not there yet.

I think if I absolutely perhaps irrationally insist on the exact types of blouses I current own, and I find that a bra or belly-band holster doesn't work, a purse not a fanny pack would be the choice of the day (fanny pack style goes with more casual looks than mine. Would stick out like a sore thumb with my mode of dress).

Yadda yadda yadda there's so so much to digest and adapt to. I'm not saying my thinking is correct in wanting to keep my clothes. But.... just the idea of owning and carrying a gun means I have to radically revise just about every single other choice in my life I've made up until this time all the way down to my very clothing and underwear. Yikes! It's just so.... overwhelming that to me it seems more rational to take it all in gradient steps rather than to do it all at once.

Michele

pax
    Marischino,

Very helpful!

Okay, here's my recommendation to add to your list: SmartCarry. Stick with a thinner profile gun than the one you're eyeing right now (think "Kahr" rather than "Glock" - and that's important for safety reasons too).

If your sundresses have pockets, consider slitting the inner seam to make it possible to draw through the pocket -- or perhaps adding a faux seam held together with Velcro in a key location. Worst case scenario would be to draw after flipping the skirt up (who cares if he sees anything? You're going to shoot him, right?). And it'll work well with most slacks that don't have belt loops, given that you prefer loose flowing clothing. If you liked tight jeans, there'd be a problem with printing, but as long as you prefer clothing that's loose in the area, it should be okay.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Pax - many thanks! I have spent the last hour or so fairly devouring everything SmartCarry related - their website, reviews, you name it - so it's doubly nice to hear you recommend this for me!

I think the best way to know if one would work for me with the dresses will be to buy one and live the life with it for a time. Certainly, everything about it seems like whatever happens with my wardrobe, the choice of this holster wouldn't be what gets thrown into a box.

-M

Poll Responses -- Yay!

Thus far there have been 25 voters on my little poll.... I see that the vast majority, 40% or 10 voters, have voted for the category "Other - underwear, no holster, other"

If you're still reading the thread, would you mind popping in with a post and identifying what kind of holster, exactly, it is that you voted for and why?

Thanks!

Smartcarry.
    In looser clothing, very comfortable. Total concealment, reasonable access.

think "Kahr" rather than "Glock" - and that's important for safety reasons too
    I agree the width of Kahr is easier than Glock, but it doesn't make a huge difference (and I'm skinny) because it's carried directly in front, so depth perception is limited somewhat. It looks like a bigger difference to the wearer who is looking down.

I disagree on safety. Because of the "play" in the denim of the smartcarry, I can (with great effort) pull the trigger on a PM9, but only by pulling the edge of the trigger. Due to Glock's trigger safety, I cannot do this with a G26 or 19, and I somewhat counterintuitively feel safer with the Glock than the Kahr in the smartcarry. Had to try it myself in many different clothes to convince myself though.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

In case you havent come across this nugget of wisdom yet Merischino:

"Carrying a gun should be comforting, rather than comfortable" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

This is a journey. If the Glock 22 speaks to you and fits you....great. It wont be soldered onto your hand or hip. Like I said, I love my fullsize M&P, yet will still probably end up retiring it as my nightstand gun.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Good videos on Safepacker....I didnt watch all yet.

But I do have some objections to that much velcro...it is noisy! Both my purses have plastic-covered zippers which are quieter, even when being 'ripped' open quickly, and nearly silent when done slowly.

Just something else to consider.
    In reality once you set up all the stuff the way you like it the only velcro that gets undone and could "give you away" when you draw is the one in the main compartment, and really the sound is so faint when you have ambient noise I doubt it would generate any attention before you were done presenting the sidearm. If silence is of the esence, you can slow down and get the gun out without undoing the velcro... pinch the slide with thumb and trigger finger of firing hand, remove gun, grab top of slide with non firing hand, transfer firing hand from pinching the slide to a firing grip. Reholster is just place muzzle in Safepacker and slide the rest in.

Something you should also be aware of... mags go rounds to the rear, so they face forward when you draw with non firing hand. Mags can be either be two side by side or just one hi-cap. If you have weapon light/light+laser combo you may be able/unable to carry spare mags depending where the mag holder stiching is present/missing. Contact manufacturer for more info as this is a custom job issue.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

merischino...

On the EDC gun issue... being that you are in Florida... rent before you buy.

Find a range that has gun rentals and rent all the possibles and shot the hell out of them. Also check if you can find an IPSC/IDPA club nearby and pay them a visit - you'll be amazed and the endless types of holsters/guns avaiable for you to test drive by just asking "can I try it?". Save the 1911s for last so you compare double action Vs single action triggers.

If after all the testing Glocks still fit you well, you can buy used, as they seldom break, so you can save a couple hundred bucks while you figure if its a good carry piece.

Do check the propper gripping/trigger finger placement section on Pax's website, so your shots don't end up off target.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

I'm intrigued with this small pack from 5.11

Select Carry Pistol Pouch | Bags / Backpacks | 5.11 Tactical

I think it would work for me worn at 8 or 9 oclock...yes, I'd have to draw cross body. I like it better than the fanny packs I've seen....and I refuse to wear a fanny pack in front. But this could also be worn in front, esp at 1 oclock.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    In case you havent come across this nugget of wisdom yet Merischino:

"Carrying a gun should be comforting, rather than comfortable" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

This is a journey. If the Glock 22 speaks to you and fits you....great. It wont be soldered onto your hand or hip. Like I said, I love my fullsize M&P, yet will still probably end up retiring it as my nightstand gun.
    As usual, 9MMare, you sound like a wise woman. How long have you had your fullsize M&P, and how long did you take to decide and actually purchase it?

Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    How long have you had your fullsize M&P, and how long did you take to decide and actually purchase it?

Good evening! I'm watching the Olympics

I got it in Sept 09. I took a ladies handgun class in Aug and took about a month to try (renting) as many handguns as possible....which was alot, all different calibers and brands and models. Then I ordered it online and then later, bought the CT laser grip 2nd hand (but almost unused) from someone on another forum.

Like you (seem to have), I have immersed myself in learning about guns *and* defensive tactics and shooting...and the law. (That's what I do with any new pursuit). I've read exhaustively since Aug...this forum, The High Road forum, and several books, etc. Also watched some DVDs. I shoot every week.

I'm not new to taking care of myself tho. I used to be a (unarmed) park ranger, including in Central Park in Manhattan, lol.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    ...check if you can find an IPSC/IDPA club nearby and pay them a visit - you'll be amazed and the endless types of holsters/guns avaiable for you to test drive by just asking "can I try it?". Save the 1911s for last so you compare double action Vs single action triggers.....
    They wouldn't find this ultimately irritating? I'd probably put their holsters on upside down and put my gun in backwards.... (really!)

My dear bf would be with me and hope to catch me before I did, but I have had a rather pathetic and embarrassing event recently at the local range that I'd rather not make public. The good news is only K and I were there at the time.

The ribbing still hasn't ended, and it was almost 2 weeks ago.

Michele

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links