Non-Standard and Custom Holster Options -- thigh, bra, fanny pack, purse etc. - Page 3

Non-Standard and Custom Holster Options -- thigh, bra, fanny pack, purse etc.

This is a discussion on Non-Standard and Custom Holster Options -- thigh, bra, fanny pack, purse etc. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by merischino They wouldn't find this ultimately irritating? I'd probably put their holsters on upside down and put my gun in backwards.... (really!) ...

View Poll Results: What is your preferred non-standard Holster/Carry option?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thigh holster

7 10.29%
  • Bra holster

2 2.94%
  • Belly Band

7 10.29%
  • Purse holster

7 10.29%
  • Fanny Pack

24 35.29%
  • Other (underwear, no holster, whatever)

24 35.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Non-Standard and Custom Holster Options -- thigh, bra, fanny pack, purse etc.

Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    They wouldn't find this ultimately irritating? I'd probably put their holsters on upside down and put my gun in backwards.... (really!)

My dear bf would be with me and hope to catch me before I did, but I have had a rather pathetic and embarrassing event recently at the local range that I'd rather not make public. The good news is only K and I were there at the time.
    Checking out the IDPA/IPSA group is a great idea. I am the junior (and practically only female) member in our club and everyone helps me. Everyone is very generous with time and suggestions.

And do tell! C'mon...no one else will know
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Checking out the IDPA/IPSA group is a great idea. I am the junior (and practically only female) member in our club and everyone helps me. Everyone is very generous with time and suggestions.

And do tell! C'mon...no one else will know
    ...erm.... I fed the bullets into a Glock magazine backwards and then managed to get the magazine stuck halfway into the gun, backwards?

In my defense, I did aim the front of the bullets towards the front of the gun... !

Also in my defense, this was among the first handful of times I'd ever been to a range, and perhaps the second actual day I'd been to a range, and the very first time I'd been left by my lonesome in the range to do everything without guidance. (K was outside allegedly watching through the glass.) Also in my defense, I'd enrolled in a class but was then and am still waiting for it actually to be held... that will be next week.

LOLOL OK, that's great. I know that it took me awhile to remember which way the bullets went..I'd stand there like I was dyslexic, holding the bullet one way, then the other, imagining which way the mag went into the gun, then which way the barrel pointed...to figure out which way the bullet should go in. But I dont think my mags would take the bullets backwards.

But I was able to do it in private, in the individual gun bay on the firing line.

On that note, esp. since you are interested in high capacity mags: YouTube - Universal Pistol Magazine Loader

Uplula, totally worth the $$$.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Gun Toten Mama's -- The Raven

I am really liking the Raven model cross-shoulder bag offered by the Gun Toten Mamas. With Pax's recommendation and comments regarding quality, and the attractive price (not the lowest, but for good quality... that's an excellent price).

Does anyone own one of these?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    One thing I wonder about with gun purses/fanny packs is the look. There don't seem to be that many different types out there. So, when you are walking down the street is every BG going to immediately see you and think, "that's a gun purse"?

I've heard some people mention that "fanny packs scream CCW"...

Maybe BGs don't pay that much attention, or maybe they do?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Well dont worry to much about (it looks like a gun purse) most people will never notice, maybe a gun person.
    My wife slickshot also a member here carries a Glock 19
    most of the time in a High noon IWB or a fanny pack.
    She is 5'-9" 109 lb's soaking wet and pulls it off really well.
    Even in shorts or tight jeans, with a wife beater and a bloused shirt everthig disappears.

We love to bike ride a lot and a fanny pack is the best option that we have found, both of us did the Duval craw in Key West last summer and no one ever ask or suspected that we both were armed.

Just me, I would never advise off carry in a purse for the obvious reasons.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

pax
    merischino,

Raven is my favorite out of that whole line!

It's small enough to be very convenient, but large enough to tote a full-size 1911 vertically if that's what floats your boat. A G22 would almost certainly fit in there--I can check with a G20 later today if you'd like?

And it doesn't look like a gun bag at all, just like a sporty little tote pack.

They've recently moved the holster-attaching Velcro from the outer inside wall to the inner inside wall (eg, so it is now attached to the wall closest to the user's body, instead of to the wall of the panel that opens). IMO, that's a major improvement. Their designer also tells me that in June they will add rip-pull tabs to the upper corners, so it can function more like a fast-action fanny pack if you want to set it up for a rip-and-grab vertical draw. But the tabs will be easily tucked down inside if you'd rather set it up to maintain more stealth.

Either way, I'm quite pleased with both the product as it is now and with the direction the designer is going. She's been in the leather bags & totes business for years and years, but recently got into producing concealed carry products and is asking all the right questions. Very sharp lady.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

pax
    GWRedDragon,

There are many purses on the market that don't look like a gun purse. See, for example, Designer Concealed Carry or Ladies Protection - CCW Purse - Products Page (esp. the "Slimline") or Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    merischino,

Raven is my favorite out of that whole line!

It's small enough to be very convenient, but large enough to tote a full-size 1911 vertically if that's what floats your boat. A G22 would almost certainly fit in there--I can check with a G20 later today if you'd like?

Sounds like you'll have one of these on hand in March to check out in person? I like the look of that too. I dont need a big purse, I dont carry much in one and half the time I'm only carrying one for my gun.
    Fortune favors the bold.

...erm.... I fed the bullets into a Glock magazine backwards and then managed to get the magazine stuck halfway into the gun, backwards?

In my defense, I did aim the front of the bullets towards the front of the gun... !

Also in my defense, this was among the first handful of times I'd ever been to a range, and perhaps the second actual day I'd been to a range, and the very first time I'd been left by my lonesome in the range to do everything without guidance. (K was outside allegedly watching through the glass.) Also in my defense, I'd enrolled in a class but was then and am still waiting for it actually to be held... that will be next week.
    Well I wouldn't be too embarassed. I bought the UpLULA magazine reloader and managed when not paying attention to load 4 rounds into the magazine..backwards..Now that was truly embarassing!! And yeah I'm the nerd that put his thumb in the wrong hole on the bowling ball and wound up going halfway down the lane !

Make you feel better?

Mel
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

You guys are awesome!

Guys, you are all awesome and thank you all so much for responding to and continuing to read this thread.

Pax -- if you wouldn't mind trying that G20 in the Raven, I would be much obliged. And thanks for the info on what GTM are planning with design changes to the Raven. Rather than rush to buy one now it might behoove me to wait (as was my original plan anyway) as I think I'd like those tabs and the option for a rushed draw they provide. I did send them an email from their site asking what availability/delivery times are right now.

Mel - That makes me feel a whole lot better. Thanks!

9MMare - I have similar thoughts as you do re: the purse. I happen to have a few different purses. The big clunky ones I get as gifts and rarely if ever carry. The medium one-shouldered ones just don't fit my body well, so I don't wear them. The very small, whether stylish or not, tend to get used. Sometimes, that's a hand-carry style with straps large enough only for hands to go through, and sometimes. Most of the time. Arguably 99% of the time, they are large enough only for a wallet, a notepad, a pen, and the collection of receipts as I go about my day, and are cross-shoulder in design.

Of all the purses I've seen at GTM, The Raven is the closest to this last and most used purse design. Also, Coronado has a couple of cross shoulders that are attractive, if a little big and expensive for me. The "tactical" cross-shoulder bag you discussed earlier in this thread, with all its nylon and zippers etc. was a super attractive option for me. Granted, I no longer live in the Pacific Northwest so it's ultra-durable look probably won't fit with my wardrobe as well as it would have when I lived way out yonder near you, but it's a great design and I liked it very much.

Ron -- my bf Kevin is a cycling fanatic. I have been thinking about purchasing him a SmartCarry or perhaps Thunderwear so that he can carry daily as he goes about his cycling escapades. Do you have any experience with either of these? Also... you mention fanny packs being your carry preference. Do you have a particular model you use (e.g., Tommy's Gun Packs, other) or do you just use a generic fanny pack that is not necessarily designed to be used as a holster?

GWRedDragon -- this was my same question. Thanks for asking it!

Mel -- forgot to ask. What is an UpLULA magazine reloader? Do you have a link for it?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Merischino, here is a video link of the upLula on action.
    I couldn't be without mine.

YouTube - Universal Pistol Magazine Loader
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Wow! I'm dumbfounded! How much does one cost, generally?

Wow! I'm dumbfounded! How much does one cost, generally?

About $30. That's what I was referring to last nite when discussing your preference for high-capacity guns....you will appreciate this!

I objected to the price too...but it's the best $30 I've spent in this pursuit.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Poll Snapshot; thigh holster experience anyone?

View Poll Results: What is your preferred non-standard Holster/Carry option?

Thigh holster 2 5.00%
    Bra holster 1 2.50%
    Belly Band 4 10.00%
    Purse holster 5 12.50%
    Fanny Pack 16 40.00%
    Other (underwear,
    no holster, whatever) 15 37.50%

Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40.

Recognizing that our sample size is not statistically significant, the above is interesting to me. I had assumed that in the "non-standard holster" conversation, "other" would be the smallest/least represented poll response.

I didn't put a whole lot of thought into what types of holsters might fall in there. Anyone want to give me an idea what does? I'm hoping it isn't just a catch-all being used for the response "I use a standard, not a non-standard, holster" but I'm guessing that may be what's happening.

Also, not a whole lot of thigh holster respondents. Does anybody have first-hand experience (even if not EDC experience) with thigh holsters that they'd care to share? I have my eye on a custom thigh holster from Guns 4 Gals and would love some feedback, any at all.

Thanks again guys!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links