Non-Standard and Custom Holster Options -- thigh, bra, fanny pack, purse etc. - Page 4

Non-Standard and Custom Holster Options -- thigh, bra, fanny pack, purse etc.

This is a discussion on Non-Standard and Custom Holster Options -- thigh, bra, fanny pack, purse etc. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by merischino Guys, you are all awesome and thank you all so much for responding to and continuing to read this thread. Pax ...

View Poll Results: What is your preferred non-standard Holster/Carry option?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thigh holster

7 10.29%
  • Bra holster

2 2.94%
  • Belly Band

7 10.29%
  • Purse holster

7 10.29%
  • Fanny Pack

24 35.29%
  • Other (underwear, no holster, whatever)

24 35.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Non-Standard and Custom Holster Options -- thigh, bra, fanny pack, purse etc.

Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    Guys, you are all awesome and thank you all so much for responding to and continuing to read this thread.

Pax -- if you wouldn't mind trying that G20 in the Raven, I would be much obliged. And thanks for the info on what GTM are planning with design changes to the Raven. Rather than rush to buy one now it might behoove me to wait (as was my original plan anyway) as I think I'd like those tabs and the option for a rushed draw they provide. I did send them an email from their site asking what availability/delivery times are right now.

Mel - That makes me feel a whole lot better. Thanks!

9MMare - I have similar thoughts as you do re: the purse. I happen to have a few different purses. The big clunky ones I get as gifts and rarely if ever carry. The medium one-shouldered ones just don't fit my body well, so I don't wear them. The very small, whether stylish or not, tend to get used. Sometimes, that's a hand-carry style with straps large enough only for hands to go through, and sometimes. Most of the time. Arguably 99% of the time, they are large enough only for a wallet, a notepad, a pen, and the collection of receipts as I go about my day, and are cross-shoulder in design.

Of all the purses I've seen at GTM, The Raven is the closest to this last and most used purse design. Also, Coronado has a couple of cross shoulders that are attractive, if a little big and expensive for me. The "tactical" cross-shoulder bag you discussed earlier in this thread, with all its nylon and zippers etc. was a super attractive option for me. Granted, I no longer live in the Pacific Northwest so it's ultra-durable look probably won't fit with my wardrobe as well as it would have when I lived way out yonder near you, but it's a great design and I liked it very much.

Ron -- my bf Kevin is a cycling fanatic. I have been thinking about purchasing him a SmartCarry or perhaps Thunderwear so that he can carry daily as he goes about his cycling escapades. Do you have any experience with either of these? Also... you mention fanny packs being your carry preference. Do you have a particular model you use (e.g., Tommy's Gun Packs, other) or do you just use a generic fanny pack that is not necessarily designed to be used as a holster?

GWRedDragon -- this was my same question. Thanks for asking it!

Mel -- forgot to ask. What is an UpLULA magazine reloader? Do you have a link for it?
    Personally Ive never tried a smart carry, but I would not even think about it on a bicycle, for the obvious reason for a guy anyway LOL
    Setting on a bike seat isn't conducive to removing a hand gun from the smart carry.
    I use a generic fanny pack just big enough for my Glock 23 and my wallet and knife, and its the only time I use it(while biking)
    My wife uses hers a lot more.
    BTW most people on gun boards think that fanny packs scream gun
    Ill call BS when I here that statement, in all my years of carrying hand guns concealed, never ever has anyone ask me " is there a gun in
    there" if you have any more qustions feel free to ask.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    Personally Ive never tried a smart carry, but I would not even think about it on a bicycle, for the obvious reason for a guy anyway LOL
    Setting on a bike seat isn't conducive to removing a hand gun from the smart carry.
    ... if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
    Hey Ron, thanks! Was also thinking about the Thunderwear for him. The picture, making it look very convincingly concealed even under thin running shorts is what makes it compelling to me. Would you wear these? Would you have the same problem with the Thunderwear as you do with the SmartCarry as per considering it while biking?

Michele

Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    Hey Ron, thanks! Was also thinking about the Thunderwear for him. The picture, making it look very convincingly concealed even under thin running shorts is what makes it compelling to me. Would you wear these? Would you have the same problem with the Thunderwear as you do with the SmartCarry as per considering it while biking?

Michele
    Thunderwear/SmartCarry is the same type of carry system.
    So no Id not use it on a bike, on the other hand while jogging sure
    Id try it, just haven't yet.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I have a smart carry, but only use it 1% of the time (sweat pants, gym shorts, etc). Marketing aside, I doubt thunderwear would be noticeably different in comfort for bike riding.

I use a black fanny pack w a hidden compartment for a walther PPS. Don't have the make/model handy, but I'd never consider the SmartCarry as long as I've got the fanny pack option.

Quote Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
    I have a smart carry, but only use it 1% of the time (sweat pants, gym shorts, etc). Marketing aside, I doubt thunderwear would be noticeably different in comfort for bike riding.

I use a black fanny pack w a hidden compartment for a walther PPS. Don't have the make/model handy, but I'd never consider the SmartCarry as long as I've got the fanny pack option.
    Thank you. This helps a lot! From now on I'm going to be thinking really only about the fanny pack option for K. While he wears exercise clothes a lot (he's a fanatic!) if the holster isn't good specifically for biking it's just plain out.

That said, SC may still be an option for me with my dressy flowing skirt dresses.... as per pax's suggestion.

I have to say that in FL, with its large retired population (like my parents), fanny packs are common, even carried in front (like my mother).

They are also fairly common here in the Pac NW. Here you would go with rugged outdoor models, in FL, the leather or nylon 'dressier' ones, colored ones, etc.

I spend alot of time in the Everglades, the Keys, the Ocala national forest and at Cape Canaveral wildlife refuge...and I'm always wearing a fanny pack (in back!) but so far, not a gun
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Thigh Holsters

It might be a little too late. I know there is a thigh holster carry option by chickholsters.com. If have heard they will make custom holsters if one of their standard holsters doesn't fit your gun.

Safepacker can also be used as a mattress holster!

Quote Originally Posted by garridan View Post
    It might be a little too late. I know there is a thigh holster carry option by chickholsters.com. If have heard they will make custom holsters if one of their standard holsters doesn't fit your gun.
    Thank you. I think I may go this route next. I did order my first custom holster, just waiting for it to come. Hadn't run across the chick holsters yet, so thanks!
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Merischino,

It's always nice to hear from a gal that can think.
    I'm sure you probably already figured out your holster wear. If not you might want to check out Chick Holsters. A little unique and I know some gals that love these.

My apologies, I didn't see someone else told you about them already. Well I guess now that makes two. :)

As a disabled male with a prosthesis,I carry a Maxpedition Fatboy right handed version in black for my ccw edc and meds as I have to take during the day. Looks kinda large but,when I am walking with my right leg prosthesis on,the weight has my rightside right where it is suppose to be. I am a type one diabetic also with a kidney transplant and so far,SO GOOD with my health problems. With the walking,I have to use a cane for balance. richgp100z

FWIW:

o Since you've ordered a custom holster, maybe that means you've already bought the Glock 22 you like. If not, then I found a Kahr CW9 to be the smallest, lightest, thinnest gun that felt good in my hand and that I could shoot comfortably and well.

o I've had no problem with trigger safety using my Kahr CW9 in a SmartCarry holster.

o I bought my SmartCarry in white, not denim.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My wife does not wear a blt so her preferred method is purse carry, although she does use a Safepacker on occasion. I am not a big fan of purse carry but it is better than nothing. She carries a FNP40 which is a double stack medium to large semiauto.

VIP Member
    Insomuch the ‘SmartCarry’ is widely accepted as a principle method of alternate carry, I chose ‘Other’.
    BTW: I thought the 'ChickHolster' family was rather interesting. The flower thing is a bit over the top, and I can just imagine the responses from our feline cadre of 'limatunes', 'Bunny' and 'pax'.
    Last edited by Saber; May 18th, 2010 at 03:01 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links