IWB versus belt.

This is a discussion on IWB versus belt. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've spent about six hundred dollars playing with various holsters. I wanted an IWB for most concealment, but, everyone I've tried irritates my hip. (Old ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB versus belt.

IWB versus belt.

I've spent about six hundred dollars playing with various holsters. I wanted an IWB for most concealment, but, everyone I've tried irritates my hip. (Old guy with arthritis.) I finally broke down and bought a belt holster for my G26. What a world of diff. With the IWB I have to cinch up my belt so tight it really hurts. The only one that doesn't hurt is the Crossbreed but what a pain in the butt to put it on. Once it's on it works very well. I guess I'll have to invest in some new cloths that drapes over the belt holster better. Though even with tightening my belt I feel the belt holster, Galco, holds the gun up tighter to my side making it print less. With IWB the holster has to be hard enough to hold it's shape under the pressure of the belt. Of course Uncle Mikes is the exception. I like Uncle Mikes, but, I like leather holsters. Just a littel prejudice. Don't hold that against me. (My 2 cents.)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post
    I've spent about six hundred dollars playing with various holsters. I wanted an IWB for most concealment, but, everyone I've tried irritates my hip. (Old guy with arthritis.) I finally broke down and bought a belt holster for my G26. What a world of diff. With the IWB I have to cinch up my belt so tight it really hurts. The only one that doesn't hurt is the Crossbreed but what a pain in the butt to put it on. Once it's on it works very well. I guess I'll have to invest in some new cloths that drapes over the belt holster better. Though even with tightening my belt I feel the belt holster, Galco, holds the gun up tighter to my side making it print less. With IWB the holster has to be hard enough to hold it's shape under the pressure of the belt. Of course Uncle Mikes is the exception. I like Uncle Mikes, but, I like leather holsters. Just a littel prejudice. Don't hold that against me. (My 2 cents.)
    There's a cheap and easy solution for that problem.

Perry Suspenders

I kid you not; they take all the weight of my MiniTuck/PT140 and there is no belt droop. I even wear my belt one hole looser now.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    IMO, so far you have not used a quality holster reading your post. Once you do get an IWB holster made by a quality leather hoslter craftsman, your review will most likely be different. OWB is usually more comfortable than IWB but I personally prefer IWB. Better concealment and for me, more comfortable. Once you try a custom handcrafted leather holster by Sparks, HBE, Alessi, TT, UBG ... etc., you'll never look back at Uncle Mikes or Galco. A good quality leather "gunbelt" is paramount whether it's for IWB or OWB. The belt is not to hold up your pants ... it supports the weight of the gun only. Your pants should stay up on their own merit. JMHO
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Pure Kustom's Black Ops is the answer. It is an IWB and OWB holster. The loops are removeable. I wear it either way depending on clothing. Very comfortable either way. OWB is a little more comfortable, although if my pants are big enough IWB is pretty comfy too.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I second Perry Suspenders with a GOOD quality IWB, such as a Sparks VM2. They attach to your belt instead of your pants, thus becoming part of your load bearing equipment. I'm no senior citizen, but love the support of them. I wear them over a t-shirt and under an overgarment, like a flannel or open shirt. I prefer their "Industrial" line. the front is not elastic, only the back.
    Perry Suspenders
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I carried IWB for years (still do sometimes), but decided to try an OWB holster one time.
    I bought this... FIST, INC. ...the Fist #12 Basic. It is a fantastic holster that holds the gun as tightly against my body as ANY IWB. It is THE most comfortable holster in my collection of 3 dozen+.
    Concealment is a breeze. The only drawback (if it is one) is putting the holster on and taking it off...belt in the holster slot, belt in the pants loop, belt in the other holster slot, belt back in the pants loop, etc.
    I love the holster's comfort and easy concealment. Prior to this OWB I did not think any OWB could match the comfort and concealability of an IWB, this one does.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A good belt and a good OWB holster is hard to beat. I carry OWB 75% of the time for my primary and it is always more comfortable.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Once you do get an IWB holster made by a quality leather hoslter craftsman, your review will most likely be different.
    Maybe - maybe not. I'm a big guy who wears his belt really tight under his belly. There is no IWB that would be comfortable or allow quick, easy access on me. I much prefer OWB paddle Kydex types. I also use beltslide. The holsters are comfortable and hold the gun tight against my body. I like the solid "click-click" of holstering/drawing. Once the trigger guard is free of the indent, there's no friction at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post

thats what got me with the crossbreed that stopped me from buying it was the on/off ease..

I finally didnt even have to buy one..While I was looking I was saving(bookmarking) holster pages...last weekend while I was at work my wife knew I was looking went through the bookmarks and "bought" me one that she had heard me comment on..so sometime in the next couple weeks I should have a Milt Sparks Summer Special2 coming for my valentines day present!

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    Maybe - maybe not. I'm a big guy who wears his belt really tight under his belly. There is no IWB that would be comfortable or allow quick, easy access on me. I much prefer OWB paddle Kydex types. I also use beltslide. The holsters are comfortable and hold the gun tight against my body. I like the solid "click-click" of holstering/drawing. Once the trigger guard is free of the indent, there's no friction at all.
    yup, a lot depends on body size...im 5'10" and about 155(skinny) and id never again think about OWB carrying..but thats because for me IWB is just more concealed and easier..but its NOT for everyone.

I used to OWb carry but a few times somehow id get my shirt caught up or blown by the wind or getting in and out of the car or well..just what ever up and over the grip so the gun was showing while OWb carrying...so I 100% quit OWB carrying I dont even own a OWB holster anymore...ive not once been "made" with my IWB holster on.

If you live in Minnesota then OWB might work for you more than if you were in a warmer climate.
    I agree with Rcher with having a quality holster. Some makers even make them reinforced. It helps if you have to really tighten up the belt.

I live in South Arkansas and it gets hot here...I wear OWB 95% of the time and have only been knowingly made once..when I squatted down to get a gallon of milk at the grocery store...lady just looked at me and smiled. if you have a quality holster it is easy to cover up...I am 5'8" and 265 lbs (haven't met a chicken fried steak that I didn't like yet)..I got my P7 yesterday and it came with Delfatti IWB holster and I put it on and I thought I was carrying a brick in my pants at first and within 30 minutes or so I forgot I had it on....I like this holster...but I am still gonna get an OWB holster for it...I usually just use a t-shirt to cover up...I have used holsters from DM Bullard, Simply Rugged, and Sideguard and Pure Kustom. I believer in using good leather...Robbie

Mic
    I've never cared for IWB, just don't feel right to me, but I know many that wouldn't carry any other way. I have a Galco and a Blackhawk OWB SOB holster and have never been "made" or if I have nobody said any thing, my wife don't even notice. Over all comfort is my main concern.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Great stuff.

I never heard of Perry suspenders, but you can be sure I will have them in every color, size, shape, etc. Sounds like a great solution.
    Quality holster? I'm a rookie to concealed carry, mainly living in Illinois where it's not allowed. I am retired and traveling, and, with a Florida CCW, plan to carry wherever legal I thought Galco was quality. I have the Galco RG424 that looks like the Summer Comfort but a step up for my Springfield EMP 40. I paid over $100 bucks for it. How much do I have to shell out for a quality holster. How long of a lead time? My concern is if I pay even more and still unhappy am I out a couple bills? Trouble is there is no place I can go to try these on. I have to order them UPS. Is there any dealers that will take returns without chargeing me fees? Wow, maybe I'll stick my new Sig P238 in an ankle holster and call it a day! HELP!

I have no problem carrying my G26 comfortably in a High Noon Mr. Softy holster, AIWB. OWB is usually more comfortable, but soft leather like this makes it seem like no holster at all. I do like the Kahr PM9 better OWB though.

The G26 hides nicely and is short enough for AIWB, for me at least.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links