Left Hand for SOB carry

Left Hand for SOB carry

This is a discussion on Left Hand for SOB carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am still trying to find the right holster (or carry spot) for ME. I currently am wearing a Kholster IWB at 4:00. It feels ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alnitak

Thread: Left Hand for SOB carry

Left Hand for SOB carry

I am still trying to find the right holster (or carry spot) for ME. I currently am wearing a Kholster IWB at 4:00. It feels great for a few days and then my side and back start hurting. I switched it around to SOB (6:00) and wore it for a full week there. After testing it for a week, I'm thinking I have found my IWB carry spot. The problem is I have to draw with my left hand and I would rather not do that in a true emergency. So here is my question.....Has anyone used a left hand IWB for a SOB carry so it would be a right hand draw? Any insight anyone could give me on this would be much appreciated.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I have done it for years with variety of guns. Presently I'm carrying a sig p229 in a kholster that is for a lefty. It took some adjusting but once done it,s very comfortable. You wind up with a palm out right hand draw.

Take the kholster adjust it and when you get it right you can trim off what you don't need.

There are some other members that carry with other brands and have had good results. I'm sure they willchime in.

I disagree with much of what has been posted here and on today's other thread on SOB carry. SOB carry is a viable option. I use a left-hand Don Hume IWB holster for right-hand-draw SOB carry with a full-sized 1911 and an M&P 40C. I put the holster on the right of spine centerline, and a mag pouch to the left. It works well, and everything hides nicely in the natural curve of the back. The best advice given above was about sitting in a chair with a horizontally-slatted back. You can pick up the chair when you stand up. Learn to slide forward in the seat before standing up. SOB carry is worth a look, and yes, you will need a left-hand holster for right-hand-draw SOB carry.

I have carried this way (left-hand holster for a right-hand draw from SOB) for years and still do on occasion. It is a very viable method, and like with any methods there are adjustments one must make to the way s/he carries.

If it works for you -- go for it!
    ------------------------------>
    Shoot Straight

I do not recommend SOB carry as it can seriously damage your lower back if you fall. Not to mention, if you are ever in a fight and you end up on your back, you are going to have a rather difficult time getting to your firearm. It may seem more convenient, easier to conceal, or even comfortable, but trust me, its not worth it. A good IWB at the correct spot will work just fine and be much safer. If you do insist on carrying SOB, please dont use a left handed holster, use a right handed one. This puts your firearm in the "palm in" position and you wont flag yourself when you draw. Nothing will end a fight for your life faster than shooting yourself with your own gun. Think before you do something that can seriously injure you.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Not to mention, if you are ever in a fight and you end up on your back, you are going to have a rather difficult time getting to your firearm.
    Seems to me if you are in this position, with someone on top of you beating the crap out of you, you've probably already missed your chance to draw, no matter where the gun is holstered.

It may seem more convenient, easier to conceal, or even comfortable, but trust me, its not worth it.
    Why? And why trust you? Have you carried for 25 years SOB (as I have)? It IS convenient, easy to carry in a natural space on your body, comfortable to carry when sitting, standing or walking, etc. Why must YOUR way be the only way. For me, it IS worth it. SOB is not my only carry method, but it does have a place, along with my IWB, OWB, shoulder, and pocket holsters.

If you do insist on carrying SOB, please dont use a left handed holster, use a right handed one. This puts your firearm in the "palm in" position and you wont flag yourself when you draw. Nothing will end a fight for your life faster than shooting yourself with your own gun.
    This just reinforces my opinion that you have limited experience with SOB. There is no difference between either method with "flagging yourself" -- if done correctly, neither does. If done incorrectly, both can (or at least flag the person standing next to you). Do some research and read the articles on the subject (including comments on proper arm position and leverage in case your arm gets pinned).

I have used both palm in and palm out holsters. I found the palm in versions (like the Galco I had for my PPK/S) to be awkward to draw from and much bulkier.

It's amazing how much misinformation is doled out on these boards.
    AMERICUS likes this.

alnitak.....It sounds like you have a lot of experience with SOB. What have you found to be the best SOB holster for every day carry?
    Thanks for your input.

Here's my IWB/SOB... FIST, INC. ...and I use this holster for my Glock-36 about 40-50% of the time.
    I do not place it at 6:00, but rather at 5:00 over the kidney. It's a 'palm out' draw which makes the draw much easier than palm in...
    It works for me and for several others guy from my gun shop.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

[QUOTE=Fastener;1516412]What have you found to be the best SOB holster for every day carry? [QUOTE]
    My preference is an IWB, similar to the FIST one identified in another post. They are made by a lot of manufacturers (such as the Hideaway from High Noon). My first (and still one of my favorites) was an Uncle Mike's for my CZ-75. I prefer one molded to the pistol for good retention, no thumb strap, and no pouch for a mag (the holster gets too bulky). Also, I generally don't use a holster that has any cant -- since it's a left-handed holster, the cant will push the grip to the opposite side of my reach. If you can find one that allows you to change the cant in either direction, a little "lean" to your draw side is fine, but too much and the butt will sit on your belt line. For that reason, I generally use ones that just hold the gun upright.

With SOB, you do have to watch bending over from the waist, as it will allow the grip to print, and getting up from chairs with slat backs as the grip can catch.

Thanks for the feedback. I just picked up this morning a Tagua IWB LH and have been wearing it in SOB all day. So far, so good. OWB is obviously still more comfortable for me, but for IWB this is the best so far. Thanks again for the input.

I carry my XDs in a NRA slide holster at 5:00. (I'm a lefty.) It's ambidextrous and has a clip and belt loops, making for many carry options besides SOB. Costing about $20 isn't bad either...
    Russell
    XD9 Service
    XD9 SC

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

Links