Pure Kustom Revisited w/ Pictures (sorry about the length)

This is a discussion on Pure Kustom Revisited w/ Pictures (sorry about the length) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I apologize in advance. This review is rather long. I have been thinking long and hard about what I should write. I get to talking ...

Thread: Pure Kustom Revisited w/ Pictures (sorry about the length)

Pure Kustom Revisited w/ Pictures (sorry about the length)

I apologize in advance. This review is rather long. I have been thinking long and hard about what I should write. I get to talking about something I truly care about and this is what happens…

Well as most of you know, I am a huge fan of Rocky’s work he does making the Pure Kustom line of holsters. Looking back almost nine months ago I was in the market for a good OWB holster. I had a good IWB custom leather job already, but was concerned about the long turnaround times and with fall and winter a short four months away; I thought I would get the jump on things. I carry OWB during the colder months because of coats; they get in the way of drawing IWB.

So I did some shopping around, talking to people and I got the usual from people plugging their own personal favorites in posts and what not. It wasn’t until I read a review on a holster line I have yet to hear about. Pure Kustom, what is that? But the review was outstanding! So I wrote to Rocky and fell in love with his line of holsters. Read my first review of the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro.

That was almost NINE months ago. I am an instructor who wears a firearm all day, every day. I practice drawing and firing every day. I wear this holster with a black Wilderness Instructor belt with the CSM insert. This holster really has not left my hip since the day it came in the mail. I take it off to sleep, shower, fly, and… that’s really it. I wear it when I am not even armed. My wife makes me disarm while in the house, so I make a condition 3 firearm and grab it when I move from room to room. My holster is always on my belt. Most holsters will collapse while wearing IWB without a firearm in it, especially after flopping down on the couch or with a tight belt. The Pure Kustom does not close, kind of amazing since there is no reinforcement of any kind.

Some of the abuse I have put this poor holster through would not stand up to any other makers. I have worn it without a firearm with a tight belt and lied down, sat on it, wrestled with the wife, and I am sure some others I cannot think of. I have stepped on it when I was tired and forgot to take it off my jeans, woke up the next morning and put all my weight right down on it. The dog has jumped up on it with her sharp nails digging into it. Getting it caught in the couch when I recline and jumping up to answer the door or something, feels like its getting ripped off my waist. I have bumped into things, fell down once or twice, repeated on then off use, and repeated conversion from IWB to OWB. Just to name some of the abuse I put my poor Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro through.

All of this abuse and after NINE months, this holster still looks and performs like the day I took it out of the box. The paint has not chipped or faded on the EGA, the retention is still very good and I still demonstrate that by having someone try and remove my safe firearm from the holster (no one can). The loops have not frayed or worn. The holster itself has not collapsed or worn, frayed or faded. The only thing that has happened is either I ran it up against something or the dog, but there is a slight scar near the top of the mouth that is barley visible. I can handle that.

The Pure Kustom holster is also the most comfortable holster I have ever put on my body, and has remained such since day one. I love the ability to adjust the loops and find that one “sweet” spot on my body that makes it firearm disappear while still being almost like a “ghost” or “phantom,” I cannot feel the firearm. I know exactly where it is, but it’s so comfortable, it’s like I am wearing nothing at all.
    The customer service that Rocky provides is unbelievable. At the end of my last review I stated that I made a friend. This is so true. I talk to Rocky probably more than I talk to my Marines, my mother, or best friend. But all that aside, he works well with people to figure out exactly what they want in design, art, etc. He calls and lets people know the status of their holster once they have placed an order. But most importantly is when he says the holster will be done in a certain amount of time given no hang ups, it’s done and in your hands. He has an incredibly fast turnaround time for a custom leather holster maker in today’s market.

As some of you know, I had to actually use my firearm to defend myself, my wife, and my dog from another vicious dog attack. I think I only had my Pure Kustom holster for about two weeks. I point shot the dog square in the head killing it instantly. Fortunately for me, a local LEO witnessed the whole thing and nothing major came of it. I never thought about how this holster functioned, if it had hung up or was too tight to draw, or a number of factors, someone might have been seriously injured or my little dog might not be here today. Kudos to Rocky and his wonderful holsters.

Rocky puts everything he has into making these holsters. I quote: “Nope, Pure Kustom isn't just a name. It's my life. I try to live up to that in everything I do. I always try to out do myself and push the envelope. I never settle. When I have customers that like what I do, That pushes me to try harder. I hope my work reflects that to the end.” If that doesn’t say it I don’t know what does. You can clearly see the difference when holding a Pure Kustom in one hand and another manufacture in another. Its like night and day, the difference in overall craftsmanship, devotion to detail, pride that Rocky puts into each and every one of his holsters is unbelievable. You are not just getting some cool looking leather to hold your firearm, you are getting a piece of art made by a true artist who loves his craft.

I made the right decision to get a Pure Kustom holster. I tell noobs all the time, who are looking for something “cheap” to start out with, get the best, get a Pure Kustom. The reason for this is simple, noobs who usually start carrying will have a huge box of holsters within the first few months. They are looking for something that functions well, conceals, and is comfortable. If its not comfortable, they wont wear it. Getting a Pure Kustom first they will not only have a comfortable holster, they get two holsters in one making it easier and cheaper for them. They have something that is “custom” and maybe even (with some tooling) custom to them. But most importantly, they have a holster that will last them a VERY long time.

People sometimes ask me why I always plug the Pure Kustom name. Do I work for Rocky? Nope. What do you get for helping him? Nothing. And that’s the truth. I point people to Rocky and the Pure Kustom line of holsters all the time because I do actually care. I see people all the time with different holsters, some incredibly cheap and others incredibly expensive. But they all have one thing in common, they are not a Pure Kustom and most of the time they are looking for something different for one reason or another. I do care about what I do as a self-defense instructor. I am not in sales or marketing. I care about the people who chose to protect themselves and those people disserve to know and get the best. If they cannot afford it, I tell them to save their money up, don’t buy the cheap crap, and when you can afford one, get one.

In closing, owning a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro is not only personal to me with the art work, but its personal because it was made with me in mind. Pure Kustom may not be the cheapest custom holster maker on the market, but it’s a small price for something I truly enjoy, trust, and love. It warms me all up inside when I see someone else decide to go through what I went though and order a holster from Pure Kustom. I usually tell them welcome, welcome to our little family of Pure Kustom holster owners. You can only really begin to appreciate what I am saying, and what a Pure Kustom holster is all about after you have had one made for yourself. To Rocky, keep up the good work my friend.

A normal dress button up shirt with jeans. Looks normal, comfortable. This is what I would wear going out or something.

Easy to get to, IWB mode.

Light jacket with a t-shirt, its cooler here this time of year.

OWB is best for wearing a jacket or coat.

A close up of my XDm inside my Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro worn OWB. Notice the slight scar. Gives it character!

2. Remove Ads

I too did a lot of research before buying my Black Ops Pro. Looked at a tons of websites, read numerous reviews both here and other forums. I am very happy with my decision to buy from Rocky. The holster is both beautiful and functional. Money well spent.

Nice review Avenger.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Good review. Nice looking leather.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

So you can wear the one holster IWB and OWB? I did not realize that.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

paaiyan,

Yes, the Black Ops series can be worn either way by removing the IWB loops.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Well here's a dumb question, what's the main difference between the black ops and black ops pro? I know it looks like the pro rides lower and advertises more carry positions, but what is it about the holster that allows it to be carried in so many different ways as opposed to the regular version which only advertises a few?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

The Pro is tuckable and has two screw holes on the loops making it more adjustable. The regular Black Ops has the normal un-tuckable loops with only one hole. Still a great holster, but the Pro has more options.

Nice review ..thanks for coming back to verify your original findings..I think that is an important thing to do...once the dust settles and the excitement of the new rig abates in intensity you can start to see a little more clearly...the second review is more important! Cheerio and happy, comfortable carrying!
    ארדוף אויבי ואשיגם ולא-אשוב עד-כלותם
    תהילים יח/לח

Excellent review Avenger! I'm lucky to know Rocky personally and locally. I can tell you he's working his tail off. He's been sick this last week and is a nervous wreck about falling behind, that's how much he cares for his customers. This is one person who will never take advantage of you, but you never want to cross! It's my job to filter his responses to dumb or rude comments, so I know.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

The Pro is tuckable and has 3 holes per loop.

Rocky must have changed that little detail since I got mine. Good to know! Rocky!! You need to keep me in the LOOP!

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for the review - IWB and OWB together in one escaped me as well.

I really like that striped black shirt too, it looks trim and fitted and updated. Goes to show you don't have to be baggy and boxy looking to accomodate the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Thanks for the review - IWB and OWB together in one escaped me as well.

I really like that striped black shirt too, it looks trim and fitted and updated. Goes to show you don't have to be baggy and boxy looking to accomodate the equipment.
    Thanks! Nothing "baggy" about what I wear. Unless it cold outside, then a nice thick coat to keep me warm is in order. Other than that, comfortable, loose, up-to-date, normal clothing works just fine to hide even the biggest of handguns! The holster also makes it pretty easy, the way it holds the firearm close into my body nice and tight, yet still comfortalbe.

Links