Post Surgery Carry Question?

This is a discussion on Post Surgery Carry Question? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A little over a week ago I had my appendix removed. It was done via 3 small incisions on my waist. It is still too ...

Thread: Post Surgery Carry Question?

A little over a week ago I had my appendix removed. It was done via 3 small incisions on my waist. It is still too sensitive to wear a weighted down belt (I carry a full size 1911).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a temporary carry method until the incisions have fully healed? The only thing I think of is trying a shoulder holster. If so, which ones would you recommend for the full size 1911?

Thanks,
    Glock40Texan
    "No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -Thomas Jefferson-

You just have illustrated the reason to acquire a snubbie... get yourself an alloy (lightweight, like 15 oz, not ultra-lightweight!) J-frame, like a S+W 642, and a pocket holster. You'll have your up-close-and-personal defense needs covered until you can cinch up that belt again.

Not a big fan of shoulder holsters, due to the likelihood of sweeping body parts or other people with the muzzle. It takes a LOT of practice and discipline to manage that safely.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

SInce that is too big for an ankle carry, maybe off body in a bag?

I had hernia surgery last year and for a few weeks wore a belt pack with an over-the-shoulder strap. It looked a little like a man-purse, but more camping-hiking looking...sort of.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You just have illustrated the reason to acquire a snubbie
    +1 If you think of the total cost of the surgery, adding on $400-600 for a snubbie is nothing.
    Although, I'd go with a stainless, not allow.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I think you're looking at shoulder, ankle, pocket or off body:)

Shoulder is really the only thing you can do on body with a 1911 in that case IMHO, the question though is how concealable does it need to be and will you ever use the holster after this?

Should take less than a month to be able to carry again(had a couple hernias over the years) give or take depending on how fast you recover. Maybe some sort of off body carry would work for the time being. Also depends on if your talking for work and if so what kind of work because I would imagine your on a lifting restriction for the next month or so.

Luke

I had to have my right hip replaced in 2004 and post surgery recovery precluded using a holster on my right hip. I discovered the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack which has a CCW compartment in it and which worked very nicely for me.

It is not a total substitute for on body carry but it does work well for what it is. I still have the pack and, from time to time, use it for CCW. Maxpedition makes an outstanding product. Google up their net site and see if anything there might be helpful.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Sponsored Links