Concealed carry for obese people

Concealed carry for obese people

This is a discussion on Concealed carry for obese people within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a quick question. I'm a rather obese (350lbs, 6'0") guy who dresses pretty casual when I'm not at work. I usually wear jeans and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry for obese people

Question Concealed carry for obese people

Just a quick question. I'm a rather obese (350lbs, 6'0") guy who dresses pretty casual when I'm not at work. I usually wear jeans and T-Shirt. My question is what are some good options for concealed carry for someone of my size? I carry a Baby Eagle 9mm. I've tried a Pager Pal, but because I'm so large I not only have a large lump showing in front of my leg, but I can't get it drawn quickly at all. I have to fight to get it past my considerable gut. Another problem I fear I'm going to have is that the edges of my gun are rather sharp and tend to poke me when I sit down in a car or seat with arms. I've considered IWB and SmartCarry, but I'm afraid IWB will compound the "sharp edges" problem and the SmartCarry will probably have the same problem as the PagerPal. Any thoughts or advice?

--dwpa

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    It appears that both IWB or OWB may not work, OWB would be OK while standing but probably not sitting. How about ankle carry or a shoulder rig? I would call one of the custom makers like Gary Brommeland, Tony at Milt Sparks, etc, once you have commited to one of their rigs and ask them. I'm sure that over the years they have developed a feel for what works for different body sizes and would be glad to lend their expertise to you. Another thought would be a fanny pack and thats probably your least expensive alternative. Good luck, I'm sure that you will find a rig that works for you and thats comfortable.

VIP Member
    dwpa, check this thread

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=9092

and look at posts #3, 12, 14, and 15. This might suit you.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

You could also use the dayplanner holsters. It is something you have to always carry and the chance of it getting out of your hands is high. Also look at the shoulder holster rig. Mighta have to always wear a jacket and for me as I sweat a lot that won't work. Good luck.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

I'm also a fatman, around 280.

For me, concealment is paramount. If I'm printing, I'm endangering my ability to carry on the job. I use a pocket holster 16x7, and a smartcarry when I can.

One 'bonus' with being rather large, you can get pants with _big_ pockets. I have a large friend who carries a taurus .40 in a home-brewed pocket holster.

I'd have to shy away from off-body carry. The possibility of leaving a day-planner laying around is just too high.

I see lots of heavyweights who carry a manbag of some sort. Perhaps a belt-attached fanny pack of some sort might work for you?
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

DWPA, I am a large guy also and I use a Highnoon IWB tuckable type holster and it works good I use the Split decision . I have had it tucked in a dress and in my everyday Blue Jeans and western Style shirt.

Here it is as you can see I am not a small person

Here it is concealed and its hard to tell where it is

Doc

Another FATBOY checking in. I'm built like you and I carry 1911's of various sizes with absolutely NO problems. I use an Andrews pocket holster ( www.andrewsleather.com ) to carry my Kimber Ultra Carry II, a 3" 1911, with no problems with concealment, comfort or drawing. Inside my waistband resides one of my 3 Brommeland Max Con V's ( www.brommelandgunleather.com ), again easily concealed and comfortable with all day carry and great access. I usually wear an open shirt over a tee shirt. The gun is at 3:30 - 4:00 o'clock.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

VIP Member
    I'm also a big guy. I carry an SP101 IWB at 4 o'clock. The only thing sticking above the beltline is the grip. An auto grip is bigger, but still fits OK when I carry my P89. I just carry ina low holster.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

dwpa,
    I'm a big ole' Texas boy, and as I see, just right down the road from TexasDoc. I'm 6'-7" and 310lbs. I carry IWB using a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 for my Wilson Protector. I just ordered a Max-Con V, another IWB, from Gary Brommeland along with a double mag pouch for my new Springfield XD-45. I have no problems carrying and not being made.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

6'2" @ 270lbs.
    I had the same problem with the pocket pal and the sitting down thing. Now i use a iwb for a 642 snubbie at about 3:30. They are small so the grip sticks up(which is tiny) and kinda molds into my Love handle area. Found that the more barrel is past the waist, the harder it is to sit down without getting stabbed by the grip/safety.
    Also love my shoulder rig when its less than 55 degrees out. Use a white t-shirt under a larger polyester print hawaiin type shirt.(there are alot of styles out there) No one can see a thing and i've carried a Berretta M92 with extra mag more than a few times.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

I agree with the other posts about usuing a good quality IWB. I wear one and I don't feel it at all.

As you can see I'm all muscle (hehe)

Guess I'll pipe in too.. 6-3 @280lbs.. I usually use a Comp-Tac CTAC IWB holster, mine is the adj cant one, which helps minimize the digging. Still does a touch, but that's mostly sitting just right. I am currently investigating the G-Code IWB unit. It has a overly large padded nylon backing that the holster connects to. Should remove the remainder of discomfort.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
    -- Ben Franklin, 1759 --

Texas XD Practical Shooters Association

Distinguished Member
    I'm like you Rhome, all muscle...:) I thought that OWB would be the only way for me to carry till I got a HBE IWB holster for my CZ P-01. I think as long as you have the loops for your belt seperated as in your pic, it will be comfortable, plus the sweat gaurd or whatever they call it to gaurd against those sharp edges.
    RKBA

John

N8R
    I carry a Colt Commander about 3:00 in a Don Hume IWB that has a steel clip on it. I also wear a vest or open shirt. I never leave the house without, mainly they don't pay any attention to me other than just a fat guy walking with 2 canes. I also carry a spare 10 round cmc power mag. OWB in a fobus single pouch without any problems. I also use a good belt and Perry brand suspenders that hook on to the belt and not the pants, they are the best I have ever used.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. After seeing what everyone has to say about it, I'm leaning toward the Milt Sparks Executive's Companion. I also like what I see with Don Hume's IWB holsters but I don't see my Baby Eagle listed as an option on his website so I'm not sure if he offers it for my gun. With the Baby Eagle being a CZ clone will it fit into a holster made for a CZ-75? It doesn't look like it would, but I'm hardly an expert. Anyone know for sure? Also, do you think it's necessary to get a super stiff belt (such as the Wilderness Instructor's Belt Combat Shooter's Model) or would a regular leather basket-weave duty belt do the trick?

--dwpa

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links