Defensive Carry banner

How do you carry your 1911?

9K views 53 replies 45 participants last post by  oneton 
#1 ·
I have never carried a full-size pistol before so I am trying to find a comfortable holster to wear all day with nice dress shirt and slacks at work. What options have some of you tried and how is it working for you? I am thinking of getting a Comp-Tac Minotaur M-Tac tuckable holster, but I am not sure if it will totally hide the fact I am concealing a gun. Some input please.

#2 ·
I carry mine IWB in an Ace Case (ambi) tuckable holster with a good wide and stiff belt at about 3-3:30. I wear mostly polo shirts tucked about 80% of the time. No probs. Im 6' 205...

think there are a few of this same thread out there...

#5 ·
I use classics which work well for me for my 4" and 5" 1911s. Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB, and Horseshoe Leather #28 OWB. Comfortable and fairly compact. Both require a cover garment, which for me is normally an untucked shirt.

The #28 is definitely a "pretty" holster and gets compliments... very classy looking in business attire, if your work environment tolerates a visible weapon.

#9 ·
I carry mine like this:

And sometimes like this:

Gotta love Milt Sparks!
:hand10:

#10 ·
I carry IWB, from Little Bear Holsters

#16 ·
I carry a DW CBOB in a C5 Leather Montana XLT or in a Crossbreed Supertuck in horsehide. From my experience, the Crossbreed fits closer to my body then my C5, but only by a very small amount. Both are extremely comfortable and stable. I find the C5 a little more stable and the leather finish does not mark up my gun like the Supertuck does. I've heard of members lining their Supertuck with felt or some type of thin leather to address that issue. I also get a little more adjustability with the Supertuck as far as cant and ride depth. Either way, you can't go wrong. The best part is that they were both around the same price. Right now, I'm leaning more to my C5 Leather holster. For a custom leather holster at a price of $75-80, and a turn around time of about 4-5 weeks, its really a good deal. I know members will argue to get a VMII or similar makers like that, but to wait 6 months to get one didn't make any sense. Whatever you get, make sure you get a good solid, sturdy, double layer cowhide or bullhide belt. It will help you support your rig for the whole day without any sag. I use a belt from A & G custom gunleather with both of mine. Check em out.

Attachments

#28 ·
I carry a USP40c and P2000 .40 in FIST ultra-thin kydex holsters in the appendix position. I've got the #K4 tuckable with a clip instead of a J-hook; I can remove and replace a holstered weapon while seated in my car or truck!
Works well both with and without a belt.
I can tie my shoes, ride my mtn. bike, and sit comfortably in my office chair while wearing it.
I'm 6'2, 215 lbs w/little gut to speak of. Mine rides lower than tmoore912's.

#30 ·
I just got this IWB holster today and love it; very comfortable, unlimited movement and well concealed.

Bianchi 100 Professional Holster - Plain Tan, Right Hand 19230 FREE S&H 19230. Bianchi Holsters.

I also carry OWB with this holster which works pretty well but doesn't hold the gun very tight to my body.

OfficerStore.com: Gould & Goodrich GoldLine: 809 Compact Belt Slide Holster with Thumb Break, Right Hand

The problem I find with the OWB holster (not enough experience with the IWB yet) is from time to time, I find that the safety has disengaged and for obvious reasons find that a bit unsettling carrying condition 1. Now I carry a 1911 so I know there are several things that have to happen before a bullet slits my leg open but can anybody shed some light on this? With the new Bianchi IWB I'm actually considering cutting an indentation in the leather between the safety and my body that would hold the safety in the on position; hopefully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.