It's Here What Next

This is a discussion on It's Here What Next within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok new custom leather pancake holster arrived. Is a little tight as I expected. So looking for best suggestions on how to break in holster ...

Thread: It's Here What Next

It's Here What Next

Ok new custom leather pancake holster arrived. Is a little tight as I expected. So looking for best suggestions on how to break in holster so not quite as tight. I don't want gun falling out but at same time don't want to dislocate my shoulder trying to pull gun out.
    The gun fight you really win is the gunfight you avoided.

2. Remove Ads

This is common with most custom holsters. Because they are boned on both sides, and are made tight to the gun. The best way break one is practice, practice, practice. Practice draws are, IMO, the best way to get it loose, yet, not too loose.

Option 2 is the bag method. Wrap you firearm in a plastic bag and insert in the holster. I would check on it about every hour for tightness. To do this, remove the bag, put firearm back in holster and draw. I prefer to wear my holster while doing this, that way it is also being broken to my body as well. Depending on how tight the holster is to your firearm, this could take a while. I dont like this option because its too easy to loose much of the desired retention.

There are other option to loosen your holster, but they are tricky and I dont recommend them. Most of them pertain to water. Do the practice draws, if that dont work something out, then try the bag. Hope it helps!

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    This is common with most custom holsters. Because they are boned on both sides, and are made tight to the gun. The best way break one is practice, practice, practice. Practice draws are, IMO, the best way to get it loose, yet, not too loose.

Option 2 is the bag method. Wrap you firearm in a plastic bag and insert in the holster. I would check on it about every hour for tightness. To do this, remove the bag, put firearm back in holster and draw. I prefer to wear my holster while doing this, that way it is also being broken to my body as well. Depending on how tight the holster is to your firearm, this could take a while. I dont like this option because its too easy to loose much of the desired retention.

There are other option to loosen your holster, but they are tricky and I dont recommend them. Most of them pertain to water. Do the practice draws, if that dont work something out, then try the bag. Hope it helps!
    What he said!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Work it out...
    For leather neatsfoot oil is a good softener.
    God so loved the world he gave his only son...
    Whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

W

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpage View Post
    Work it out...
    Sorry, never do this.

Only do that if the guy who made the holster tells you to, but I'm not aware of any that would recommend that:)

Any kind of oil will break down the leather which can be good for certain leather goods but generally not the case with holsters.

Either put a bag around it, or practice until it works for ya:)

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Draw Draw Draw.....If that doesnt work, order some mtch Rosen Leather Lightning.

Rosen Product Line
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Work it out...
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK 9mm (EDC)
    MR Micro Desert Eagle .380 acp (BUG)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)
    Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12ga (HD)
    WASR 10/63 AK-47 7.62x39 (SHTF)

Work it out...
    In case you missed this...NEVER do this.

Simply insert gun, extract, repeat 250 times...250 in the morning, 250 at night. Add additional days as needed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The easiest and best way to break in a too tight holster is to put it on with the gun in it and wear it around the house doing your normal chores for a few hours. The leather will conform to you, the weapon and how tightly you buckle your belt. After that practicing a few draws will burnish the inside a bit. Done this way the holster will be smooth to draw from yet retain it's retention ability for a long while.
    Actually my use of the term too tight is mis spoken. Too tight is when you can't get the gun into it. You want a new leather holster to be tight because leather by its nature will stretch slightly and if loose at the start will become a gun bag in short order.
    As to neetsfoot oil. Many, not all, custom makers myself included give their holsters a coat of oil prior to final finish to preserve the leather and keep it from cracking. It does not harm but helps a well molded holster. It will not however loosen up a tight holster that is done by breaking it in as described above.

Links