Debating on a new 1911 holster

This is a discussion on Debating on a new 1911 holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I switched out my Springfield Mil-Spec for a Colt Commander Lightweight model. So far I am very pleased with the switch. The only thing ...

Thread: Debating on a new 1911 holster

So I switched out my Springfield Mil-Spec for a Colt Commander Lightweight model. So far I am very pleased with the switch.

The only thing I am now noticing is that the forward slide serrations on the Commander are pulling small bits of leather from the holster. Is this common when using a leather holster with this sort of 1911? (The Mil-Spec did not have forward slide serrations). Right now I am just assuming it is the holster breaking in to the new 1911. Just want to ask for opinions from anyone who has seen this before.

I am currently using a Galco Royal Guard.

If you recommend switching holster, which one?

Thanks everyone! All opinions are appreciated!

PS: The fact that the Commander is lighter than the Mil-Spec has allowed me to start carrying again since my surgery!
    "No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -Thomas Jefferson-

VIP Member
    The only thing I am now noticing is that the forward slide serrations on the Commander are pulling small bits of leather from the holster. Is this common when using a leather holster with this sort of 1911? (The Mil-Spec did not have forward slide serrations). Right now I am just assuming it is the holster breaking in to the new 1911.
    I'd say this is correct. The serrations are just clearing out a new path. Those are some sharp edges on the new Colts. A little de-horning will lessen this problem.

Or you can just wait until the inside of your holster is completely smoothed!
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Sponsored Links