A few questions about Smart Carry

This is a discussion on A few questions about Smart Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered a Smart Carry holster for deep concealment for when I go to school and places where I am required to dress professionally. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions about Smart Carry

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I ordered a Smart Carry holster for deep concealment for when I go to school and places where I am required to dress professionally. I assumed the measurement for me was my waist so I ordered 38" for the measurement since that is my pants size. I was wondering if this was right.

Also where does the muzzle of the gun point? I sure don't like the idea of a gun pointing at my well you know what. I will only be using this while I am at school so I can still carry and not have any clips or straps showing on my belt. How comfortable is it sitting down?

Thanks in advance!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

can you carry at your school? you might want to look into that.

Clips?
    Russell
    XD9 Service
    XD9 SC

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    The elastic band has a great deal of adjustment so I doubt you will have a problem. Charlie does have a 60 day trial period, so if you find you have the wrong size, I suspect you can switch without difficulty. Check with Charlie to make sure.

I wear the SmartCarry such that my stuff is behind the slide, not below the muzzle.

The SmartCarry holster has been my EDC for more than a year. I have a deep concealment requirement. It took me a couple of weeks to work out all the technique to manage all the positions and the transitions between them. Now I hardly notice I'm wearing it. Others have told me they adapted immediately.

I highly recommend the SmartCarry.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

The issue most people seem to have at first is they try to wear it too high to start with. When you havent put your pants on yet it DOES feel more natural to wear it higher, like where the grip would be at your waist line.

You really need to wear it lower, let it sag and hang loose. It will be pointing below your bits so no worries there. Lower feels a little weird at first, like its going to slip off. Ive worn worn for over two years now and I LOVE mine! I also have absolutly no butt, a big gut, carry a 1911 and spare mag and have never had it slide down, even while running. And I wear a kilt instead of pants so theres no crotch in a garment to help hold it up.

Ive found for me its best to position the slide at 11:30 or so, just left of center.

They are very well made and Im hard on them. People dont believe me when I say Ive never been made but I havent. Havent even had someone notice a bulge and been in a position to make an excuse about it.

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

Hello all

I just can't figure out how I can fit a second gun down there with one of them there smart carries. I tried one and things just don't fit even with bigger pants. My wife said if your primary was not so big it would work fine!!!!!

SmartCarry has been great for me. Definitely wear it lower as Charlie suggests.

Its a great option, especially if you have to wear dress clothes every day. the bigest proble is having to manuver it while going to the bathroom.
    Glock 36, 20, 30, 29, PX4 Storm SC 9mm, Colt Delta Elite, Colt Agent, Sig C3, Kimber CDP 2, Firestar 40

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth" - George Washington
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun." - Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    Hello all

I just can't figure out how I can fit a second gun down there with one of them there smart carries. I tried one and things just don't fit even with bigger pants. My wife said if your primary was not so big it would work fine!!!!!
    My SmartCarry has asymmetric pouches so it fits the handgun on one and the spare mag in the other. IIRC, you can get one with symmetric pouches so that you can carry two guns.
    Howard

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have not been able to get comfortable with it yet. Sitting down or driving is uncomfortable, the back of the gun pokes me when I bend. I am trying to carry a weapon with a stacked magazine so the grip is large. Also prints at the end of the grip. I think it is a great concept and I want it to work, may well be my weapon (FNP 40) is just not suitable?

I wear one for deep concealment. Honestly, I have no idea how people conceal a full sized gun, unless their pants are HUGE. I can live with it a few hours a week with my J frame, but anything large than that, the muzzle and grip print. To each his own I guess. I am looking forward to trying it with a single stack weapon.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    The only issue I have with the smart carry is standing at a urinal. I have tried several different positions and heights but it always seems to settle pretty much in the same area. It may not matter to a younger person, but to an old geezer it's a real concern. As far as concealing, I have carried a J frame, a P3AT, and a Glock 26 with no apparent printing problem. (not all at the same time)

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I have not been able to get comfortable with it yet. Sitting down or driving is uncomfortable, the back of the gun pokes me when I bend. I am trying to carry a weapon with a stacked magazine so the grip is large. Also prints at the end of the grip. I think it is a great concept and I want it to work, may well be my weapon (FNP 40) is just not suitable?
    In my SmartCarry is my M&P 45fs, a spare 14-round extended magazine for it plus a 15-round extended magazine for the LCP I carry in my front pants pocket.

Printing is in the eyes of the beholder. Yes, it is not as smooth around there as without the iron, but few people look there on others. In nearly two years, I've not been outed. I'm a grandfather but still vigorous enough to roughhouse with the grand children. Eight to ten hour drives are not a problem.

Deep carry is essential for me, so perhaps I was highly motivated to work out the techniques or perhaps I am more tolerant of slight discomforts than others. After the first three weeks of use, I was no longer constantly aware I'm carrying unless I think about it.
    Howard

I like mine but it prints when you sit down (barrel pushing forward). When at the urinal if you will pull the grip up behind the belt it seems to free things up a bit. Just my .02.
    I reject your reality, and insert my own.

If you ordered it yesterday, you will almost have it by the time you read these posts.(they do ship faaaaaast) I too have a Smart Carry, and have carried both a BP Hi-Power, or a J frame, with no apparent printing or other difficulties. EXCEPT, when I have to make a bathroom stop, then it gets very tough for this old man, to move things around, to hit the urinal, if you know what I mean. Maybe if I wore it "looser" I would be able to move it to one side, as Charlie suggests. So far, I have worn it fairly snug. Best thing on the market, in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links