Pocket carry people

Pocket carry people

This is a discussion on Pocket carry people within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchaced a Kahr CW40 for a bug and a winter coat carry. The question is do any of you use a pocket holster in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pocket carry people

I purchaced a Kahr CW40 for a bug and a winter coat carry. The question is do any of you use a pocket holster in a jacket pocket and what would you recommend? The gun carries great in my parka but in my jacket pocket it is too loose. I am afraid it will fall out of my pocket. Thanks
    Semper Fi

Check out the SIG coats, Coronado Leather. The web site for Concealed Gun shows each of the SIG jackets nicely.

A Google search for concealed carry jacket also comes up with a few other options.

Good luck!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Good sites and good ideas but I didn't want to buy another jacket.
    Thanks
    Semper Fi

This holster will keep it stable and will not come out with the gun... Pocket Holster w/Thumb Push
    Works well in pants or coat pocket.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Depends on both the holster and the gun. J frames make the transition from pants pocket to jacket pocket very well. Because of their shape, they sit well and tend to stay put.

Autos on the other hand are more of a challenge. Some combinations work well between pants pocket and jacket pocket, others really don't work in the jacket pocket.

Really, it depends on the gun, holster, and the jacket. I guess that is why so many of us have so many holsters - it is a trial and error process.

+1 on the holster. Makes all the difference. Safer, too.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

DrJ
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This holster will keep it stable and will not come out with the gun... Pocket Holster w/Thumb Push
    Works well in pants or coat pocket.
    Couldn't agree more. I bought the Fist thumb push holster in ultra-thin kydex for my Kel-Tec P3AT, and absolutely love it. They're a little pricey, but SO much more secure and easier to draw from than my original Uncle Mike's. Well worth the money.

I make custom pocket holsters where you send me a tracing of your pocket and I make an exact match to your pocket. I also make some standard varieties for the Kahrs.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

IMHO, put that CW40 in a good IWB holster and get a hammerless or concealed hammer revolver for the coat pocket.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I've got a bunch of pocket holsters. My FIST K5 is the current favorite for pocket carrying my PM9. I wouldn't consider carrying any way without a good holster.

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    The question is do any of you use a pocket holster in a jacket pocket and what would you recommend? The gun carries great in my parka but in my jacket pocket it is too loose. I am afraid it will fall out of my pocket.
    My recommendations:

• Agree that the primary goal is to have the gun secured in-place, at all times.
    • Agree that any holster should be able to hold the gun in-place, except for when you deliberately draw the gun from the holster.
    • If the gun is to be carried in any pocket, it should be in a holster. This holds the gun in correct position; minimizes the possibility of the gun falling out; protects the gun.
    • If the holstered gun is to be in a jacket pocket, then the holster should be well secured into that pocket, so that the gun cannot exit the pocket except via deliberately drawing the gun.

So long as your carry choice meets these goals, I think it'll be a fine choice.

IMO, carrying in a jacket requires a specialized jacket holster/pocket arrangement. No holster I've seen magically attaches itself to a jacket or other surface, unless designed that way. And few such devices will end up holding it in a correct orientation such that you'll be able to get a positive grip when you reach to draw the gun.

My recommendation would be for a specialized carry jacket, such as the one SIG makes. Something with a pocket/holster device designed to hold a jacket-carried firearm in place.

I pocket carry in my pants, but so far I have not yet done so in a jacket because none of my holsters and jackets are designed for that. Thus, any jacket I choose ends up simply having the gun flop around. Were I to attempt jacket carry, I'd first ensure that a proper jacket holster/pocket arrangement existed on that jacket, so that the previously-mentioned benefits would be seen. Otherwise, it's a less than perfect setup that can result in the gun flopping around, the gun exiting the pocket at a time other than drawing for it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Rett, I like the suggestion on the thumb break.
    MT I will have to check your site further but a custom for a particular jacket sounds good. Thanks all for the suggestions and ideas.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    I purchaced a Kahr CW40 for a bug and a winter coat carry. The question is do any of you use a pocket holster in a jacket pocket and what would you recommend? The gun carries great in my parka but in my jacket pocket it is too loose. I am afraid it will fall out of my pocket. Thanks
    Semper Fi
    My wife has a gun purse and the holster and the inside of the purse have velcro on them. I don't think it would be too hard to use contact cement and glue a strip to a holster like the DeSantis Nemesis and to have a seamstress stitch the mate to the inside of the pocket. That way, you could position the gun any way you want it.

I love my RKBA custom holster for my LCP but haven't ever tried carrying it in a jacket pocket.

Or if it's just a concern that the gun flops around and feels very loose, try a Blackhawk in the right size ($10-$15). They are nylon and very light, yet keep it in place. Note they do NOT have retention in the sense of holding the holster upside down your gun WILL fall out. Not likely in your pocket.

Heck, I made a cardboard holster out of a cereal box to cover the trigger guard of my PM9 until my Blackhawk arrives. Note: Tho tempted, I did not use duct tape!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links