Galco or Desantis? Other?

This is a discussion on Galco or Desantis? Other? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello people, I am new here and just got my CC permit. I have two weapons that I need holsters for (well maybe three) and ...

Thread: Galco or Desantis? Other?

Galco or Desantis? Other?

Hello people, I am new here and just got my CC permit. I have two weapons that I need holsters for (well maybe three) and am in the process of narrowing down my choices. There are no retailers nearby so I am doing my shopping on line.

For my SP101 2"bbl I am looking at a Desantis "thumb break scabbard" and a Galco "Fletch." These two holsters look almost identical but the Galco is about 40% more expensive. A third option I am considering is the Galco "concealable belt" which is even more expensive than the fletch. Does anyone have experience with these brands or models? Is the Galco better quality than Desantis? I don't mind paying a bit extra for quality.

For my SR9 I'm looking at the Galco Cop 3 slot, the Galco "classic lite shoulder" or one of the Desanti scabbards (there are half a dozen to choose from).

Finally, and I'm not sure how often I would carry it concealed, I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 45. Sometimes I like the idea of carrying a little extra stopping power and it's nice to have the .45 tucked away. I am looking at the Desantis "thumb break scabbard" for this weapon also.

Any thoughts on quality, style, fit, or just your personal choice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    There are so many holster mfgrs out there, you should do a bit more due diligence. Lists of mfgrs are available on this site in addition to posts. As you indicate, prices vary--in many cases quality does not so there is no reason to pay more than is necessary. Choice of a holster is also very personal. Unless you have really tried one, you do not know if it is what you find comfortable; it is nice to be able to deal via internet with a mfgr who will allow returns--otherwise dealing with a shop probably limits choices but at least you can try them on. Cannot stress enough need for thorough investigation--plenty of posters talk about their "box of holsters".

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...d-updated.html

Take a look here.......just to expand your choices and make it a little harder.

Are you looking exclusivly at leather? There's a whole host of leather-crafters who can fill your needs.

With just what you've listed, I'd choose Desantis. Reguardless, you WILL end up with a 'drawer' full of holsters within a year or two.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I would choose Don Hume for a production holster over Galco or Desantis. Good quality and at a value price.....hard to beat in a production holster.
    Jim

Also if you don't plan on open carrying, you don't really need the thumb break.

I'd take a look at the MTAC for your SR9. Its IWB and they're $80. But then you can buy a shell for your M&P 45 for around $38 and swap it out if you wanna carry the .45.

Don't have a suggestion for the SP101
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

sgb
    Galco is decent, desantis not so much. Kramer, Milt Sparks & Alessi are far better choices. .............. and thumb break holster from anyone suck.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I'd stay away from thum breaks. A good quality, well-boned holster will hold the gun tightly...even if you trip and fall down a set of bleachers at a rodeo (I know someone who did just that...).

I'd be less than forthcoming if I didn't shart this quality holster maker who has provided me with over 3 dozen holsters...
    HOLSTERS
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wow... thanks for all the awesome input! This is extremely helpful! It seems that many do not care for the "thumb break" design. Being a newbie, this is very helpful to know. I can see now where a thumb break would be a pain in the butt or worse, maybe even a life threatening obstacle in a crisis.

The "Fist" holsters are awesome! I think I will order at least one from them. I kinda got the feeling that I would end up with a "drawer full of holsters." Nice to know I am not alone.. :)

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Thumb breaks are a grab deterrent for LEO work, and perhaps to an extent, open carry. If you want the extra security, that's fine, but as Ret said, it's not strictly needed with a good holster.

Many good holster makers are on this forum and in that list. If you have questions for them, ask.

Bruce Gibson, Pure Custom, and Rhome Desbians are but a few of the quality folks on DC who make great holsters.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Galco vs Desantis?
    I have a Galco OWB holster for my S&W Model 36 snubbie, it's OK, although I would like it better if it rode lower. Overall I can't say I have any complaint with the quality, just the fit on my body shape.
    I also have a Desantis Speed Scabbard for my 1911. I love that holster, the ride is perfect, retention is fine, without the need for a thumb break.
    Overall both are equal in quality, but neither are as good as my Sourdough Pancake. I originally bought it for my S&W 686+, and had it made to ride as low as possible to fit my short torso. The fact that my S&W Model 65 and my S+W Model 29 both fit in it makes it even better. The price was right, the time was less than 2 weeks and it fits me better than any other I've ever tried.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Links