The SIXTO project UPDATED! High Noon has delivered!

This is a discussion on The SIXTO project UPDATED! High Noon has delivered! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree with Matt, I have had holsters that carried a Glock 19 very well but that same style of holster did not work for ...

View Poll Results: Who would you like to see me do a review of first?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Milt Sparks

33 17.19%
  • Crossbreed

73 38.02%
  • Pure Kustom

46 23.96%
  • Side Guard

10 5.21%
  • Occidental

10 5.21%
  • High Noon

20 10.42%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The SIXTO project UPDATED! High Noon has delivered!

I agree with Matt, I have had holsters that carried a Glock 19 very well but that same style of holster did not work for a 1911. Same person, same body placement, same holster design, different result.

I commend your desire to help others with your project, I just don't see it rendering much in the way of "universal truth."

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Del Fatti View Post
    I tend to agree with BikerRN. If there was a perfect holster for all people with all handguns, we'd all make just one model.

The reviews might be helpful to some if the readers of the reviews understand that the reviewer's body/build type, mode of dress, type of handgun, painful pressure point locations, holster placement preference, shoulder mobility issues, etc play a part in overall holster comfort. In other words, the best a single reviewer can say about any holster is that, considering the issues listed in the previous sentence, it works great for them.
    Yes, I understand that the upcoming reviews cannot be the end all of the perfect holster search. That would almost be impossible to do given body types, dress modes and daily activity etc. In no way do I intend on finding a "universal truth". I'm smart enough to have figured that out a long time ago. That is also why 'm staying in the realm of production holsters, and not really getting into custom stuff.

But, I am hoping to give people a base line to start there own search with, and perhaps sell a few holsters for those who are close to my build and lifestyle.

What I'd really like to happen out of this is for me (with the help of the forum) to pick and choose features in several holsters that are liked and incorporate them into one "Sixto/DC Special" and get one of the makers to build a few to test the waters.

BTW, I've tried one of your ISP-DD's recently, that was a really nice holster. I'll most likely be ordering one this summer as soon as I get a handle on some household projects first. I'd also like to get a hold of one for a large, heavier pistol, whatever model that would be.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would like to see the flexibility of the different positions of IWB holsters. Dress should be business causal ie slacks with a button down shirt or jeans could be worn. Also while trying out the different positions try lifting say something weighing 30-40 pounds simulating picking up a child. If you are able, walk around with the weight as though holding a child for a few minutes.

Try different grades of belts if you have access to them. Such as a regular store bought belt then maybe something like a 5.11 gun belt and a stiffer "custom" gun belt.

I like to carry IWB but due to some lower back pain/inflamed periformis causing sciatic pain it hasn't been enjoyable. Maybe note different positioning of the holster causing more pressure on certain muscles.

I've carried the Supertuck and it conceals pretty well. What I have not liked are products with only a single point clip holding the holster onto your belt.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

Holster makers- What would you like to be evaluated or tested in a real world setting? Do you have any thoughts or ideas you would like to be considered? How about thoughts about how the project should be done. I'm open, I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants here. I do have a some what unique ability and perspective working as an plain clothes LEO and a forum loud mouth.
    Is alligator wrestling with my gear asking to much? I'm sure we could have a SIXTO medical expense fund. I have been thinking about an old style "Timex commercial "

Side by side comparisons with like guns.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    Is alligator wrestling with my gear asking to much? I'm sure we could have a SIXTO medical expense fund. I have been thinking about an old style "Timex commercial "
    One could argue that being a LEO is very similar to alligator wrestling at times....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    One could argue that being a LEO is very similar to alligator wrestling at times....
    Bah. Alligator wrestlers scuffle with a much better class of opponent.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    That is also why 'm staying in the realm of production holsters, and not really getting into custom stuff.

But, I am hoping to give people a base line to start there own search with, and perhaps sell a few holsters for those who are close to my build and lifestyle.

What I'd really like to happen out of this is for me (with the help of the forum) to pick and choose features in several holsters that are liked and incorporate them into one "Sixto/DC Special" and get one of the makers to build a few to test the waters.

BTW, I've tried one of your ISP-DD's recently, that was a really nice holster. I'll most likely be ordering one this summer as soon as I get a handle on some household projects first. I'd also like to get a hold of one for a large, heavier pistol, whatever model that would be.
    Combining features, ride heights, and degree of rake within design capabilities is what I've always offered to individual customers. That works great for the individual. There have been many times over the years that I combined features specified by a customer who says, "This is the perfect holster." "You sure going to sell bunch of these." Nope! It might have been perfect for him but......
    Like the ISP-DD fo instance (thank you by the way!). The design parameters were for a quick easy holster for a relatively small light weight wheel gun. It doesn't translate well to other handguns.

I'm not trying to discourage your efforts. You asked for holster maker's opinions and this is just my 2 cents worth.
    And you know what they say about design by committee

kpw
    I like the idea as far as informing people how it carries (height, cant ect.) and how well it's made (fit, finish, stitching ect.). I also like covering the sponsers. Great idea.
    IWBs are tough as I think they are more personal preference than any other type of holster. For example I've tried a number of Sparks holsters and I do not like the VM II except to look at. Hey, it's an attractive holster. The SS II works well enough for me for short durations but the lowly, disrespected Watch-Six is one of my personal favorites.
    Any OWB reviews would be of great interest to me. A CC-AT would be great but I don't believe they make them for a 228 (but they do for a G19! ). Anything by Rocky would be interesting. I've owned one High Noon OWB and should own another. I'd also like to see more about Side Guard. He makes some nice holsters at very affordable prices. That could help some people out that might be in a bit of a financial pinch these day.

Sounds like fun, look forward to it.
    Last edited by kpw; March 8th, 2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: oops
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

My biggest problem with holsters is that my shirt does not usually rest off my waist, but on it. Therefore, getting the butt of the gun pulled in far enough to hide it is very hard.

I know, I need to lose some weight... I have no idea how other "generously proportioned" people wear a gun strong side hip and conceal it.

Given that problem, anything you could do showing how tightly a given holster pulls the gun's butt into the body would be awesome.

Thanks for starting this, Sixto!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I would like to see the Blackhawk SERPA line up for a few reason's. The Retention aspect, how inexpensive some of them are, and the durable material they are made of.

Nobody out there has proven to me that these holsters are concealable. I just don't see any reviews done on them that show the CC factor. Thanks for the great Idea.~Spec
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I would like to see the Blackhawk SERPA line up for a few reason's. The Retention aspect, how inexpensive some of them are, and the durable material they are made of.

Nobody out there has proven to me that these holsters are concealable. I just don't see any reviews done on them that show the CC factor. Thanks for the great Idea.~Spec
    It's not on SIXTO's list so I'll give you my thoughts on it.
    They conceal well enough under a longer jacket or heavier untucked shirt. Although they don't ride as close as most of my other holsters, with the belt attachment, it's not bad. Retention wise, pretty good and better than a TB. Takes some practice to get used to them but not any more than a TB holster. As for durabilty, haven't had it long enough to say but they seem fairly stout. They are very popular with OCers in PA. They are comfortable and are quite small compared to a lot of other kydex designs. I'm not real sure why I bought it other than to try it out but I don't know how much use it will see, if any. I don't hate it.

Hope that helps a bit.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Id' like to see a review on a CrossBreed by someone who carries a gun as a part of his profession.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I would like to see a unbiased, side by side comparasion between a crossbreed supertuck and a kholster. Same gun, same person, same carry location, same everything.

Hey SIXTO, I am happy to see someone try this out. I am actually excited to read about your findings. I have tried many different holsters and belts and I am sure you know by reading my reviews and posts what set up works best for me. I voted for the holster maker I thought would deserve this kind of attention, Pure Kustom. I try and not be bias in my reviews on the Pure Kustom line, but they are such wonderful holsters, its hard. I think it would be hard for anyone not to write an unbias review on anything they put their own money on. I think the review should be done by someone who will use this holster and belt everyday, all day. Is that you?? Do you carry concealed everyday, all day, even while on duty? I am not trying to discredit you, I really value your post and comments and think that you among most people would be the best qualified for this.

Here is a suggestion: Why dont we stop this poll and get people who have the same weapon together on here, and share one of each holster for a few weeks and rotate. Everyone buys one, wears it for a few weeks, passes it on to the next person, recieves another holster, repeats the process for another few weeks and then at the end, when that person gets their hoslter back, they ALL write a review. Something to think about and would take some major planning, but its not undoable. I volunteer!

Anyway, what ever you decide, good luck in you endeavor, if you need any help, please feel free to ask. Contrary to popular belief, I am quite knowledgeable on this subject!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links