The SIXTO project UPDATED! High Noon has delivered!

The SIXTO project UPDATED! High Noon has delivered!

This is a discussion on The SIXTO project UPDATED! High Noon has delivered! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is the result of a minor brainstorm I had last night, and I need the forums help. What I don't want to know is ...

View Poll Results: Who would you like to see me do a review of first?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Milt Sparks

33 17.19%
  • Crossbreed

73 38.02%
  • Pure Kustom

46 23.96%
  • Side Guard

10 5.21%
  • Occidental

10 5.21%
  • High Noon

20 10.42%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The SIXTO project UPDATED! High Noon has delivered!

Administrator

Thumbs up The SIXTO project UPDATED! High Noon has delivered!

Here is the result of a minor brainstorm I had last night, and I need the forums help.

What I don't want to know is what you think I should buy. I do want you to tell me what would you like to see tried out and reviewed in an unbiased honest review in a real world setting.

I would like to do a long term search and review of the ultimate CCW set up, focusing mainly on holsters, belts and then extra mag carriers.

Unfortunately, there are tons of options out there, and there is no way I can afford to purchase them all in order to review and give an honest evaluations of the products.

So, I think the way I'm going to work this is to start with forum sponsors and a poll. (Its only fair right? The old "he who pays the bills" thing) If there is another holster out there that gets a lot of attention in the replies, I'll add it to the list.

So, here is what I need from you guys; What have you used and really liked and for what reasons? What have you used and found didn't work well? What manner of dress would you like to see included? What are the common problems you are experiencing with your carry gear? Is there something you would like to see on the market that is not there?

Holster makers- What would you like to be evaluated or tested in a real world setting? Do you have any thoughts or ideas you would like to be considered? How about thoughts about how the project should be done. I'm open, I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants here. I do have a some what unique ability and perspective working as an plain clothes LEO and a forum loud mouth.

The baseline to keep things honest is the gun and extras will always be the same. I'm going to use my Sig 228, and one spare mag. The reason behind the 228 choice is that it's a midsize pistol with a decent amount of weight. I think it will give others a good idea of how their subcompact or full size will be with the same set up. The thought behind using the 228 is also what got me started on this quest in the first place. I'll explain that later on in the project.

I do have some reviews done and waiting to be posted. One is favorable, the other...not so much. I'm going to wait on those for a bit, I don't want to start rocking the boat before I even get the project moving.
    Last edited by SIXTO; April 16th, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've found with my IWB holsters that no matter how stiff the belt, it still will sag if I carry too far back. Leather gun holster, concealed carry holster - Simply Rugged Holsters? - Proudly made in the USA Rob made me a great holster here for OWB, and it pulls in tighter than my IWB! Highly suggest the Cuda.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I would say that having used NONE of these, the one that grabs my attention most is the Crossbreed brand.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Since this is a defensive carry forum, I suppose a holster review is a good start. But how and where do you start? So many styles and varieties from a number of quality builders. Like yourself I carried (when active duty) a few different major holster manufactures. I have since changed to custom made holster makers. Which brings me to my "who should I review" suggestion. I don't know how you'd start and with whom, but I'd like to see reviews of custom holster makers customer service. How easy is it to contact the owner? Does he return emails or telephone calls? If a problem should arise, how does he correct it? Lots of those guys out there and not all are created equal. Good luck.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jacket View Post
    Since this is a defensive carry forum, I suppose a holster review is a good start. But how and where do you start? So many styles and varieties from a number of quality builders. Like yourself I carried (when active duty) a few different major holster manufactures. I have since changed to custom made holster makers. Which brings me to my "who should I review" suggestion. I don't know how you'd start and with whom, but I'd like to see reviews of custom holster makers customer service. How easy is it to contact the owner? Does he return emails or telephone calls? If a problem should arise, how does he correct it? Lots of those guys out there and not all are created equal. Good luck.
    I do intend to review the complete experience. I didn't specify a particular style of holster on purpose. My main goal is to find what works the best in the most situations no matter the style. What is the most comfortable, most versatile holster on the market.
    The customer service will be added as a side note. I hadn't really really considered the custom leather route for this, so I don't think I'd be the type to hound the maker with changes and after order questions. Maybe that can be part two of the project; I just haven't thought it out that far yet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm looking forward to reading your reviews.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Try out a smart carry too. im thinking about maybe getting one.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

I would like to see a Crossbreed vs. MTAC review, for hybrids. I also would like to see a review of some of Rhomes stuff from Desbiens. His leather tends to be a homage to some other designs, with tweeks here and there, and have intrigued me enough to want to buy one soon. Probably for my P228, interestingly enough.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    I do have an MTAC ready for review, I would also like to see how the Crossbreed compares.

I'm not sure that a smart carry would work out well with a 228; but, who knows.
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 8th, 2010 at 01:36 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My $0.02

Since everyone is different, and has a different body shape, measurements, flexability and such I don't feel this is a valid "test" for all concerned.

It may give an idication of what will work for you, but not for others. Case in point, I'm short torsoed. I have long legs, as that's where my height is carried. I also have long arms for my size, but mobility problems in the wrist and right shoulder. Hence, the VMII you use will not work for me.

I think it would be far better to do a comparision between the various holsters and telling how they ride, high or low, etc and the customer expirience with the various manufacturers, as well as the overall quality of the finished product.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I hadn't really really considered the custom leather route for this, so I don't think I'd be the type to hound the maker with changes and after order questions.
    I'm sorry I may have misunderstood. I'm speaking of a company that makes a particular holster that is custom fit for that gun only, i.e., a 1911, a SigSauer P229, a S&W 686, etc. Since many of us are choosing to get custom fit holsters, I was curious about customer service before and after the sale. As we all know, it's a buyer's market, full of selections and sometimes it simply boils down to the human contact between the buyer and the maker. It would work for factory equipment as well. Good luck on your adventure. Don't get too stressed.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I do have an MTAC ready for review, I would also like to see how they crossbreed compares.

I'm not sure that a smart carry would work out well with a 228; but, who knows.
    I EDC an M&P 45fs with an XTI Procyon weapon light attached plus a 14-round extended capacity magazine for the 45 plus a 15-round extended for my front pocket LCP. YMMV

M&P 45fs equipped as described

Everything in SmartCarry

And you get to try it for 60 days to decide if you like it.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I look forward to your reviews.

Looks like Defensive Carry will have our own Nutnfancy! I'm assuming he is not a member here?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Administrator
    I don't know that I'd get as fancy as nutnfancy, but if I can find some good products and give our sponsors a little more exposure its all good.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I tend to agree with BikerRN. If there was a perfect holster for all people with all handguns, we'd all make just one model.

The reviews might be helpful to some if the readers of the reviews understand that the reviewer's body/build type, mode of dress, type of handgun, painful pressure point locations, holster placement preference, shoulder mobility issues, etc play a part in overall holster comfort. In other words, the best a single reviewer can say about any holster is that, considering the issues listed in the previous sentence, it works great for them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links