Does anyone use a shoulder rig?

This is a discussion on Does anyone use a shoulder rig? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; They don't seem very popular and I'm guessing they might be uncomfortable. It seems like it would be convenient at times though, rather than have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use a shoulder rig?

They don't seem very popular and I'm guessing they might be uncomfortable. It seems like it would be convenient at times though, rather than have something hanging off your hip. Does anyone wear one?

yep - Galco jackass rig.......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    i wear one when i go to the range or when it is cold and i can wear a jacket to cover it up. also, i wear it when i take a long trips in the car.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Anyone know of a good shoulder rig for an SR9? I've been looking at the Desantis C.E.O. It seems less bulky than a double harness.

Senior Moderator
    I have two and have worn them often. It works very well for us females who may occasionally wear a skirt of slacks with no belt loops and still don't want to carry off body or in a less accessible place.

It can be comfortable if you have it adjusted right but if you have a heavy gun and you are carrying for hours upon hours at a time you can certainly expect your neck and shoulders to get sore.

Tie-downs REALLY help keep the weight right and I have a shoulder rig for a S&W 360PD that feels like I'm wearing nothing.

However, carrying a full-frame, all steel 1911 can get a little heavy on my little shoulders.

Of course there are plenty of big, strong men who have carried double shoulder rigs with Desert Eagles and claim they are perfectly comfortable and I suspect it's a combination of the wide shoulders, proper holster fit and wide shoulder straps.

The heavier the gun the wider the straps you are going to want to evenly distribute the weight along the shoulder and to keep the straps from digging in your neck and shoulders.

Shoulder holsters are great for any job that leaves you sitting for a long period of time or in a car as they are much more accessible.

ALSO people are more conditioned to look for guns around the waist. I have often had people who were PURPOSEFULLY looking for my concealed firearm completely miss it do to the fact that it was under my arm and not around my waist. It's fun to mix things up a bit as well.

If you have to do a lot of moving around, unless they are tied down, you get a lot of flopping around which can be really annoying. And, if you are a Mom, it's annoying trying to handle a young child with a shoulder holster.

I speak from experience when I say it's really annoying when your baby can't stop grabbing your gun because it's poking him in the side or from just pulling back your cover garment to show the world the cool shiny thing under Mommy's shirt.

I don't recommend them for parents of little ones.

All in all, they have their place but I would never recommend one as a first and/or only holster.

galco miami classic for me.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I use a Galco Jackass shoulder rig on occasion. The first shoulder rig I tried was the Blackhawk Serpa shoulder rig and I found out the hard way that the spare magazine holders do not have good retention. I was at a buffet place one day and had an XD45 mag drop to the floor so that was the last time I used that rig.

I don't recommend any other rig except leather and with flaps on the spare magazine carrier.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

If you feel you must use a shoulder rig, please take the time to practice and to develop the muzzle discipline to avoid crossing body parts when you draw and when you re-holster. Doesn't matter if it's a horizontal or vertical rig; it's just way too easy to sweep yourself unless you are paying scrupulous attention to your muzzle.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I bought this one... FIST, INC. ...for my Kimber Ultra CDP II, and I seldom use it. It was expensive, it is comfortable, but the weather down here does not make it a realistic carry mode...perhaps up in the North.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Galco MC2 for the Kimber...
    High Noon Under Armor for the G21 SF
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."

"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a
    large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

I have a Triple K for my Glock, it is very nice for long drives and out in the woods but I don’t use it for EDC. Properly adjusted, it hide well under a light jacket. I have it set fairly high and with a muzzle up diagonal position. The draw speed is a lot slower than any belt holster and it is a two hand reholster for sure, but is a faster draw when seated.

I have used Galco Miami Classics for years for a number of different weapons. Very comfortable and comforting with a gun and two spare magazines.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Miami Classic and a Cobra.

I use a shoulder holster rarely, only when the situation calls for it. Otherwise I carry OWB.

As with any CC, the larger the gun, the harder it is to conceal... even under a jacket.

Tie-downs work well. I use one on the off side.

I was actually planning to start a thread very similar to this. I've always wondered at the lack of popularity for shoulder rigs, and was wondering if anyone managed to reliably EDC one.

Galco Miami Classic user here as well. I've owned two of them, my first for an H&K USP .45 full-size, and my current for my Glock 23. In my experience, they're the best "off the shelf" shoulder system one can buy.

Shoulder carry is my preferred way of carrying, and I'll normally wear mine from the time I wake until I go to bed. It's actually very comfortable to me.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links