Overly tight Fobus Paddle Holster

This is a discussion on Overly tight Fobus Paddle Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up a Fobus that's supposed to fit my S&W 642 (J 357) Does anyone use a different holster, or is there a secret to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overly tight Fobus Paddle Holster

Overly tight Fobus Paddle Holster

Picked up a Fobus that's supposed to fit my S&W 642 (J 357)
    Does anyone use a different holster, or is there a secret to loosening them up...I've been working the gun (empty, of course) in and out of the holster, but it's not loosening much... Thinking of my options...
    1. Take it back for a refund
    2. Throw it in with all of the stuff I don't use
    3. Use it for target practice
    Just kidding, ...lol
    Seriously though, is there a short cut to this nonsense...? Every other Fobus I've bought has fit my guns better...
    "It's better to have one and not need it,
    than to need one and not have it."
    Semper Altimo

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    is it a kydex holster? If so a hair dryer and gentle heating would fix it.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    is it a kydex holster? If so a hair dryer and gentle heating would fix it.
    The Fobus is not Kydex, it's "polymer"

Tacbandit,

Take it back and return it for another, but make sure it fits before leaving the store (provided you bought it locally) if you bought on-line, try and return it for another.

Fobus fit can very from holster to holster, or so I've been told.

VIP Member
    You can loosen it up. Just jam a socket in the trigger guard that spreads it out a bit, and heat it up with a hair dryer, then let it cool with the socket still in there.

I just bought a Fobus Roto-paddle holster for my Taurus PT145 and noticed that it was tight to get the pistol in or out. Then I realized there was a screw near the trigger area that when I loosened it up I was able to get the pistol in. After playing around I got the pistol to slide in and out the way I like it and even when upside down the retention is tight enough to hold it in. See if yours has adjusting screw.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacbandit View Post
    Does anyone use a different holster, or is there a secret to loosening them up...I've been working the gun (empty, of course) in and out of the holster, but it's not loosening much... Thinking of my options...
    Just kidding, ...lol
    Seriously though, is there a short cut to this nonsense...? Every other Fobus I've bought has fit my guns better...
    The #J357 Paddle holster has two screws on the side that are used to adjust the tension (click on image to enlarge).

fobupicj357.jpg
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Throw it in the bottom of your trashcan and see if it loosens up any. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Sorry unproductive....hopefully there is a tension screw somewhere to adjust???
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

SIGP250, mine doesn't have the tension screws...first thing I looked for, but thanks anyway...

jwhite75...I was going to throw it away, shooting it would be more fun...lol

WHEC724, I'm going to try that( I hope that's not you I hear laughing)

This polymer holster is a tough 'ol buzzard...Must be a recycled Glock...(Just kidding...I'm a Glock lover....That was actually a compliment to Glocks)
    Semper Altimo

VIP Member
    LOL. No worries man - I've done this with two now (I actually like the fobus for range days). I'm an expert at cheap holsters and have boxes of the useless things to prove it ;-)

WHEC724... When heating the polymer holster, what does it mean when that black stuff starts running off and dripping on the floor? Did you say propane torch ? Kidding, lol... Cooling down now...we'll see
    Semper Altimo

Quote Originally Posted by Tacbandit View Post
    Just kidding, ...lol

Don't give up on your holster here's the fix. Notice the rivit closest to the trigger guard? From the back or body side you will see it appears hollow. Either you or someone handy, as in with a drill press or free hand CAREFULLY drill that hollow head off. You can then remove the rivit. Your gun will now fit! Next go to your hardware store and buy a machine screw of the appropiate length and size and a self locking (nyloc) nut to fit. Mine is black to match my holster. You now have a way to adjust the tension. You are now in business for little time and $.

I know what a pain! I ran into the same problem a couple of years ago and this worked just fine. I still use this holster for the field and range. I have much better ones for serious stuff for this particular gun. Hope this helps, let us know!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

I was going to buy one for my P-95 had it in hand and asked the fellow at Gander Mountain if I could try one of his p 95 to see if it would fit , He said no problem pulled one out I opened the plastic container gave him the holster, And this is when theFUN began. He try his hardest to push the gun in & POP It went in. It took BOTH of us to pull the holster off!! NO KIDDING ; ) I left!!
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnow View Post
    Don't give up on your holster here's the fix. Notice the rivit closest to the trigger guard? From the back or body side you will see it appears hollow. Either you or someone handy, as in with a drill press or free hand CAREFULLY drill that hollow head off. You can then remove the rivit. Your gun will now fit! Next go to your hardware store and buy a machine screw of the appropiate length and size and a self locking (nyloc) nut to fit. Mine is black to match my holster. You now have a way to adjust the tension. You are now in business for little time and $.

I know what a pain! I ran into the same problem a couple of years ago and this worked just fine. I still use this holster for the field and range. I have much better ones for serious stuff for this particular gun. Hope this helps, let us know!
    And after time and materials you could have bought a Blackhawk CQC or other holster that was made right to begin with.

bsnow.....
    Thanks for the tip...Very creative...I'm sure it would work, but I'm not that much in need of another OWB holster, paddle or not. First time I've had bad luck with a Fobus.

WHEC724...
    After three attempts, it opened up a little. It's minimally acceptable, which means unacceptable...I prefer not to display my holster when I draw my weapon, for whatever reason...It was fun trying, though. Thanks for the advice. I'll return it, buy some ammo.
    Lesson learned Thanks to everybody...
    Tac
    Semper Altimo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links