Hip Shooting Doesn’t Work Past 6’ (for me, anyway) – Advice?

This is a discussion on Hip Shooting Doesn’t Work Past 6’ (for me, anyway) – Advice? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading some statistics about most gunfights lasting a few seconds and happening within 15’ which led me into Google searches for point shooting ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hip Shooting Doesn’t Work Past 6’ (for me, anyway) – Advice?

I was reading some statistics about most gunfights lasting a few seconds and happening within 15’ which led me into Google searches for point shooting technique. The problem is when I tried hip shooting last night, like I was taught in the Oklahoma CLEET academy, I was very unsuccessful hitting the target farther than 5 feet. I would like to know what is the most accurate and fastest method to draw from a CrossBreed holster then use point/hip shooting from 15-21 feet.

I never thought of hip shooting as point shooting?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

OK I guess its not the same thing then varob. Still looking for some help though.

At 20 feet I personally point shoot from a fully extended arm. It's still point shooting, but not from the hip. I think you'd be hard pressed to make consistent accurate shots at that distance from the hip. Hip shooting is, as I understand it, not so much a time thing but a retention thing. You can hit someone at around 5 feet without extending your arm and gun to a place where they may be able to grab it.
    Give us this day our daily lead...

VIP Member
    I'm no commando - but to me, a hip shot means that I'm already fending him off with my free hand, which means he's at bad-breath distance.

Otherwise, I'm not worrying about the draw (slow is smooth and smooth is fast). I'm worried about getting on target which is at the end of my front site in a perfect world, and likely a point-shot in the reality that I hope that I never encounter.

Administrator
    Yes, hip and point shooting are two different things.

The easiest way to get good at point shooting (that I have found anyway) is start at a fairly close distance, less than 10 feet. Stop focusing on the gun and look at your target. Point the gun just like you do your finger. Just look at your target and point...squeeze. Most people try to over think it and gum things up with mumbo jumbo witchcraft techniques. That is the beauty of point shooting; there is none. Its simply accepting your natural ability to point to an object.
    After you are consistent, repeat the process at increasing distances.

I can regularly draw from concealment and hit a pepper popper and 30+ yards using this simple method. Just keep the method simple and then you can too. It really isnt that hard to do.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    If it is farther than 20 feet I focus on the front sight and only point shoot a closer distances. This is mainly a time issue for me.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

From what little I know, which ain't much, "Hip Shooting" qualifications are done at 1 1/2 Yards. That's only a little over four feet.

I suggest putting a laser on your gun and practicing against a mirror or target on the wall. Make sure your gun is unloaded first however. By using the laser you will be able to develop the "muscle memory" to accurately put your bullets where they need to go at that distance.

The further the target is from your gun, or the smaller the target, the more focus that needs to be on the sights. That sums it up in a nutshell if I do say so.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Administrator
    The muscle memory is already there; people point at things from the time they are a year old.
    The trick is unlocking the notion that shooting a pistol is any different.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I had an old LEO friend describe point shooting as something we did as kids playing cops and robbers or cowboys and indians.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The muscle memory is already there; people point at things from the time they are a year old.
    The trick is unlocking the notion that shooting a pistol is any different.
    Granted, however there is a complexity added to the issue.

One, most people don't point from the hip. Second, the addition of a gun in the hand can and does change the perception of where one is pointing. The "trick" is to marry the hand to the gun in such a manner that it points like an extention of your hand. Some guns are better at that than others given the variety of hand shapes and sizes, not to mention the variety in stocks and grips as well as grip frames.

Biker

From what I gather, Shooting from the hip is the Quick Kill Drill & Point shooting is like pointing your finger as (Sixto) Stated, Hold gun whith finger off trigger & you will have muzzel pointing at target!~!
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

We had to demonstrate our point shooting abilities on my cc class. Very easy and very accurate with the right gun that fits your hand.

This is the video that got me started with it.

How To Draw Your Gun: Elbow Up - Elbow Down Part 1 Video
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

The hip shot is a close combat tactic use by many LE agencies successfully within 2 feet.

This video is a good visual to help explain my post... instead if shooting from the hip/holster... bring the weapon up to the arm pit, you can shoot from that position or any position as your arm/weapon is being extended. Shooting from the arm pit/side of the pectoral muscle allows better control by stabilizing the weapon against the side of pectoral muscle and with the wrist being in a better lock position than a hip shot.

As a person master this draw, shooting from the arm pit as you move sideways or on an angle is the next level to master. Extending the arms with both hands together is also an option.

Practicing this move is dangerous... USE A RED GUN TO CREATE MUSCLE MEMORY... before you use live fire.

Bring your weak hand to your chest keeps it from getting shot in the beginning of practicing this draw, and then, the weak hand can be use for racking a Israeli draw at the arm pit, and/or bring both hands together at the chest for extending to the two hand grip.

I find this to be the best Close Combat Draw, i use it, and teach it to qualify CC people for defense/protection. Good Luck.

YouTube - Inside the Crucible Volume 1

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links