Point Shooting

This is a discussion on Point Shooting within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there an actual method to point shooting? I have heard it said that point shooting is simply looking at the target rather than the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Point Shooting

Point Shooting

Is there an actual method to point shooting? I have heard it said that point shooting is simply looking at the target rather than the sights, but I look at the target with my eyes open and still see the sights, is that point shooting? I am looking to practice it, but don't know exactly how to begin.

2. Remove Ads

Cool

My point&shoot is placing the laser dot on the target.

you dont really bring up the gun to "eye" level to use the sights in the point shooting I was taught you pretty much push it out from chest level..you would have to duck your head between your shoulderblades to se the sight in that type of shooting..your gun is pretty much even straight out from your chest like doing a pushup..not up higher..in the point shooting I was taught you would be looking a bit down on your sights and cant get a sight picture..now after you get off your quicker point shooting shots you just take a second or 2 to bring the gun up to eye level and get a sight picture..

its for hitting a target quickly more than for precision shooting. and it does get rounds off quicker because your not taking time to bring gun up to eye level and your not worrying about the sights...the guy that taught ours had a Beretta 9mm that he actually removed the sights from as a demonstration of the technique. he wouls show you the gun and say..this kind of shooting obviously works and you can do it without the sights..then from the holster he would draw and engage 3 targets with double taps in about 2-3 seconds..and hit every one center mass. They taught this at the SRT school at Ft McClellan Alabama when I was in the military.

Quote Originally Posted by hdawson View Post
    My point&shoot is placing the laser dot on the target.
    now that they have these anyone can point shoot :) . I highly recommend a laser as long as its not one of the ones dangling off the rails...I HATE rails lol.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Ohio: Look under the threads for "Defensive Carry & Tactical Training" for several threads/posts on subject; read the threads, prompt it on the internet and try it out. Point shooting is just that. When you extend your arm with your firearm and have your eyes and nose pointed at the subject, your instinctive body control will, with practice, point the firearm at the subject in a remarkably accurate manner. There may be a slight difference due to your dominant eye but as a whole, you will be amazed at how accurate it can be, without spending that extra fraction of a second to sight or laser sight. Yes you can still see your front sight, but you are focussing on the subject and not the front/back gun sights. It, IMO, is an exceptional tool for close encounters of perhaps less than 10ft.

Point shooting is just looking at the target and aiming subconsciously, without intentionally looking at the sights.

Visualize hitting your point of target, and you'll likely do it. Its kinda like throwing a baseball or swinging a golf club, in that regard.

TheOhioan, three of the best books on these and many other CCW subjects are 'The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry' (Ayoob), 'The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery' (Ayoob), and most especially 'The Tactical Pistol, Advanced Gunfighting Concepts and Techniques' (Suarez).

Suarez does not recommend "point shooting" at all, unless you are so close that you can virtually stuff the gun muzzle right into the BG's gut. And, IMHO, he is correct: Accuracy is everything when using what is basically a grossly underpowered projectile weapon (i.e., a pistol), and shot placement is king.

Only sighted shooting can give you that accuracy; point shooting can rarely cut the mustered with the average CCW shooter (Ahh Oh -- hope I haven't said anything here that someone may disagree with! ).

-Bill

Cool

C Bennet. My laser is attached to my Kahr CW9. No rail. Instinctive activation since the switch actually is on the grip. Grab the grip naturally and the laser is activated instantly with no conscious thought. Crimson trace. The combination carrys very well in my Mitch Rosen belt holster. Not cumberson in the least.

Hey Bill Calley: A little bias coming thru on the negatives of point shooting. There is no doubt in my mind that I can "hurt" someone badly from 5-15 feet by point shooting and the extra fraction of a second that point shooting gives you over lining up sights or even focussing your laser on the subject is worth a few feet. Before I decide to discharge a firearm at someone, it will be closer than the 21 foot rule (statistics tend to say that most discharges take place well within 10 ft and closer to 5 ft) and with point shooting practice you will not miss center mass. It should be considered ALONG with the more conventional physical sights on firearms and lasers as another potential defensive tool; it is not the be all and end all by a long shot (no pun intended) but being capable in point shooting can be invaluable as another defensive tool.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Regarding lasers, A friend who is an instructor bought 3 CT to test. He took a course about that time also.
    He and his instructor for that course tried the lasers, and both decided that they slow you down as you are looking for the dot.

A week or so ago we went to the range, and I shot the guns with the lasers. I concluded that they made my shooting much slower. In addition if I did not have the right grip they did not turn on or I blocked the one on the J frame.

Lasers are not for me.

Regards,
    Jerry

Hey JerryM: Concur with my point (excuse pun) exactly. Using a pistol sight or a laser takes time (albeit fractions of a second) that point shooting does not. That does not mean that point shooting is the be all and end all; it is an additional shooting tool, particularly for close defense where that fraction of a second may be the difference. Cannot help but think that the "truglo sight and laser guys" out there take umbrage to negativity on their purchases---nothing could be farther from the truth. IMO, we are talking about less than 20 ft and probably closer to 10 ft for point shoot proficiency--get over 20 ft and farther, good sights and lasers are the way to go---I just will not be discharging my firearm at those distances for defensive purposes so if I want to be good at protecting myself, I try to get proficient at point shoot technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    Point shooting is just looking at the target and aiming subconsciously, without intentionally looking at the sights.

Visualize hitting your point of target, and you'll likely do it. Its kinda like throwing a baseball or swinging a golf club, in that regard.
    To add to this, there is a aim sport that is very accurate and to the point(pun intended). DARTS.... Thrown from a line 7'9" to the target.... There is nothing to line up on(sights/etc.).... The only way to hit the point intended is to look at the spot you want to hit.... If you want to hit the double bull (inside the smaller of the two center rings), you look at the center of that space inside the small ring... The smallest "speck" you can focus on will bring you closer to your objective. Same with shooting .... look/point/shoot/practice......
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    TheOhioan, three of the best books on these and many other CCW subjects are 'The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry' (Ayoob), 'The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery' (Ayoob), and most especially 'The Tactical Pistol, Advanced Gunfighting Concepts and Techniques' (Suarez).

Suarez does not recommend "point shooting" at all, unless you are so close that you can virtually stuff the gun muzzle right into the BG's gut.
    You're relying on some pretty outdated advice there. Gabe Suarez has been teaching point shooting for some shots out to around 7 yards for the better part of a decade now. I think it says something about both Gabe's openmindedness and the effectiveness of point shooting that someone who was once anti-point shooting has now become one of it's advocates.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    Is there an actual method to point shooting?
    Yes, there definitely is a technique to point shooting.

I have heard it said that point shooting is simply looking at the target rather than the sights, but I look at the target with my eyes open and still see the sights, is that point shooting?
    Yep. The amount of visual feedback is going to vary depending on how far you extend the gun. At full extension you're either going to be superimposing the gun on the target or looking just over the top of the slide. At 3/4 or half extension the gun will be towards the bottom of your field of view.

I am looking to practice it, but don't know exactly how to begin.
    Get some professional instruction. At least a DVD, better yet a class from a good instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    You're relying on some pretty outdated advice there. Gabe Suarez has been teaching point shooting for some shots out to around 7 yards for the better part of a decade now. I think it says something about both Gabe's openmindedness and the effectiveness of point shooting that someone who was once anti-point shooting has now become one of it's advocates.
    Thanks; interesting info Blackeagle. I'll have to see if Gabe has any newer books out there.

-Bill

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links