SAS Pistol Training

This is a discussion on SAS Pistol Training within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just watched a video of SAS pistol training. They're using Sig 228's and 226's. They're really good, as you can imagine. What stunned me was ...

Thread: SAS Pistol Training

SAS Pistol Training

Just watched a video of SAS pistol training. They're using Sig 228's and 226's. They're really good, as you can imagine. What stunned me was when the instructor came on and said "Before you fire that first round, you must pause, because you don't want to shoot innocent bystanders." He means aim, of course. These guys are probably using some kind of point shooting. The bring their pistols up to eye level its impossible to see the "pause." I'm assuming that the "pause" can be as fast as a trigger pull once training is complete. I think of this in terms of Crimson Trace grips. I have heard from people that lasergrips slow them down. Does that mean they don't aim? I don't necessarily mean get a sight picture, but point accurately at eye level. I thinking that just as one learns the squeeze a trigger slow then fast, one can learn to pause slow then fast. Looking for professional feedback here.

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55zawUndP50
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    Just watched a video of SAS pistol training. They're using Sig 228's and 226's. They're really good, as you can imagine. What stunned me was when the instructor came on and said "Before you fire that first round, you must pause, because you don't want to shoot innocent bystanders." He means aim, of course. These guys are probably using some kind of point shooting. The bring their pistols up to eye level its impossible to see the "pause." I'm assuming that the "pause" can be as fast as a trigger pull once training is complete. I think of this in terms of Crimson Trace grips. I have heard from people that lasergrips slow them down. Does that mean they don't aim? I don't necessarily mean get a sight picture, but point accurately at eye level. I thinking that just as one learns the squeeze a trigger slow then fast, one can learn to pause slow then fast. Looking for professional feedback here.

Here is the video: YouTube - SAS pistol training
    Pause does not mean use the sights, although if time and conditions permits it makes sense to do so.
    Eric Haney (Delta Force, who were heavily influenced by the SAS) taught the pause to give the hands a chance to recover from the "bounce" from low ready.
    Fairbairn had them pause to avoid shooting on the way up.
    Others, such as the Israeli's teach the pause to make sure of one's target.
    All are advocates of both point and sighted shooting.
    PS, good video, BTW.

Matthew, thanks for the response. I notice from your profile you live in New York City. Did you manage to get a pistol permit there?
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    Matthew, thanks for the response. I notice from your profile you live in New York City. Did you manage to get a pistol permit there?
    For the past 30 years I have been a peace officer in the courts, which exempts me from our gun laws.
    Until, that is, I decide to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Temkin View Post
    For the past 30 years I have been a peace officer in the courts, which exempts me from our gun laws.
    Until, that is, I decide to retire.
    Won't you then be HR218 eligible?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    Won't you then be HR218 eligible?
    Yes.

Excellent.

I would argue that the pause in question is one involving the time it takes to identify viable targets. Note that pause, as reflected on their range, manifests as... not much of a pause at all.
    God, country, family.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I would argue that the pause in question is one involving the time it takes to identify viable targets. Note that pause, as reflected on their range, manifests as... not much of a pause at all.
    Good points.

HR218 is the best thing to happen for the active and retired LEO's of this Country!

The pause in the video is very short.

If the pause insures a accurate hit it would be very well worth it.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    IMHO sights and lasers require some form of target acquisition---Matthew can probably correct me if I am wrong in this assumption--from the few threads that I have read about the subject, I recognize his experience on these matters. If that is a given, fractions of a second are lost as you target acquire--we are not talking about very much time but in close in defensive situations, we are not talking about very much time to begin with. There is little doubt in my mind that point shooting in that 3-5 yard range (and that is my concern particularly with my 380) is the most prudent defensive shooting technique. Lasers and sights have their place--probably with bigger firearms and longer distances, but for what I perceive as my "defensive zone", and the limits I place on my 380 and the limits I place on myself with the 380, I will perfect point shooting and leave the sights and lasers to others.

Links