Shooting Stance, Posture, and Position

This is a discussion on Shooting Stance, Posture, and Position within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never had any formal training. Through my teenage and college years, I shot 500 rounds every saturday with a 22 and I developed my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Shooting Stance, Posture, and Position

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,338

    Shooting Stance, Posture, and Position

    I've never had any formal training. Through my teenage and college years, I shot 500 rounds every saturday with a 22 and I developed my own shooting style based off of trying different things until I found what worked for me. I did shoot "competitively" some at a local shooting club's Saturday events for prizes and I did pretty good for a country boy shooting a single action 22 revolver.

    As I have gotten older and practice shooting SD and concealed carry weapons, this set-up still works best for me. I'm shooting large 357 magnums, 38 snubbies, P95, PT709, and an XD40sc.

    My set-up:
    I don't know what you call it or if it has a name. I'm right handed and I shoot with my body aimed at a 45 degree angle to the right with a slightly bent right arm (right elbow out) and left arm low with elbow tucked close pulling the weapon closer to me. This posture for me works as a shock absorber and helps with recoil and getting back on target quickly. It also makes for quicker directional change as the length of your arm/weapon is shorter and you can turn at the waist or use footwork while on the move.

    Is this a conventional style of shooting for target or SD? Whatever it is, it's still working for me over a 30 year period...for both target and SD.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.


    Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array Britbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    22
    Weaver / modified Weaver (sounds like).

    However, I learned a long time ago that "exact" stances are a fallacy. As long as you are in a comfortable solid, stance, bodyweight forward, relaxed and repeatable then that will work.

    Remember, the chance of getting into an "exact" stance in a gunfight are slim to none.

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Britbiker View Post
    Weaver / modified Weaver (sounds like).

    However, I learned a long time ago that "exact" stances are a fallacy. As long as you are in a comfortable solid, stance, bodyweight forward, relaxed and repeatable then that will work.

    Remember, the chance of getting into an "exact" stance in a gunfight are slim to none.
    Cool. That's why I came up with my own thing that works for me. It works at a range, tactical practice, etc. It's more of an approach to shooting than an exact stance. When folks have asked me what stance I use, I didn't know what to call it so I just said I do my own thing.

    I used to think about all of the people I saw at the range in a squared up 3 point stance with arms straight out and locked thinking how unnatural and impractical it seemed. I also chuckle at the people that stand at a range and melt hundreds of rounds through a SD weapon at a target 25 yards away. It's kind of like golf. I watch people on the range and the players are the ones hitting various wedges and short irons at intermediate targets. I'm not worried about the guys banging buckets of balls with a driver (it only accounts for about 13 shots per round). Same with the practice putting green...beware of the guy practicing 4 footers over and over again. The guy practicing 40 footers...not a problem.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.


    Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array Hiram25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wyoming, DE
    Posts
    10,969
    Stances are fine at the range, but when your diving for cover they don't work so well. Shoot so your comfortable. What you practice is what you'll use when the time comes. That's why there have been several LEO's killed and found with brass in their hands as that is the way they were trained to collect their brass. We don't do that anymore.

  6. #5
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,338
    I never really thought of it as a stance, just my natural method of shooting, until we were at the range the other day and a buddy asked me about my shooting set-up. I never really noticed or thought about it, it's just how I naturally did it. In reality, it's the same way I shoot a rifle, except the left hand is inder the grip rather than a forward stock. Consistency, perhaps on a sub-conscious level.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.


    Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

  7. #6
    VIP Member
    Array Thumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    7,237
    I've had people tell me the Weaver/Modified Weaver is old school. I need to learn the latest and greatest stance. The reality is, I've used that stance for so many years I just don't see changing now. My muscle memory is what it is and this old dog ain't changin'.

    When the deification hits the ventilation, I'll do what I've practiced and it'll either get me through or it won't.

    I have the "Popeye syndrome" BugDude... "I am what I am, it's all what I am"!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

    "A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I've had people tell me the Weaver/Modified Weaver is old school. I need to learn the latest and greatest stance. The reality is, I've used that stance for so many years I just don't see changing now. My muscle memory is what it is and this old dog ain't changin'.

    When the deification hits the ventilation, I'll do what I've practiced and it'll either get me through or it won't.

    I have the "Popeye syndrome" BugDude... "I am what I am, it's all what I am"!
    I'm with you. I pride myself on being old school. Old school cars, guns, golf clubs, etc. With this, I just didn't know what it was called: old school, home school, short bus...

    My first gun as a kid was a rifle, and I shot the crap out of that thing. When my Dad gave me my first handgun, I guess it was just natural reaction to stand and hold it the same way...it just sort of happened and I went with it...tried different stuff, but everything else felt awkward.

    I taught myself how to play golf too. In golf, I think I have the Modified Farmer Brown "throw a tater in that hole you just dug with your club" Stance.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.


    Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

  9. #8
    Member Array JohnN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    51
    It doesn't really matter whether your old school or new school. If you are serious about defending you and your families life take a force on force class and discover how things can happen on the streets. Chances are you will find out how much you don't know about real self defense. Shooting at static targets in a stylized stance really doesn't prepare you for anything but punching paper. I am not baggin' on you in particular but too many people have the impression going to the range and shooting 50 or 100 rounds a month is sufficient training to protect themselves, it's not. IMHO
    "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array varob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,449
    If it aint broke, don't fix it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

  11. #10
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    I'm a firm believer in "what works for you won't always work for me". Unless you are doing something dangerous, I've got no problem with how someone stands, grips, or sights their gun. I also know that this is not a popular belief.

    This whole "grip, stance, caliber" thing has been argued for years, and will be long after we're gone.

  12. #11
    Member Array hengst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Cool. That's why I came up with my own thing that works for me. It works at a range, tactical practice, etc. It's more of an approach to shooting than an exact stance. When folks have asked me what stance I use, I didn't know what to call it so I just said I do my own thing.

    I used to think about all of the people I saw at the range in a squared up 3 point stance with arms straight out and locked thinking how unnatural and impractical it seemed. I also chuckle at the people that stand at a range and melt hundreds of rounds through a SD weapon at a target 25 yards away. It's kind of like golf. I watch people on the range and the players are the ones hitting various wedges and short irons at intermediate targets. I'm not worried about the guys banging buckets of balls with a driver (it only accounts for about 13 shots per round). Same with the practice putting green...beware of the guy practicing 4 footers over and over again. The guy practicing 40 footers...not a problem.
    No need in changing what works for you.....but one thing I will say is I routinely go to the range and fire loads of rounds at 25 and even 50 yds. I even practice it at "fast" speed. I promise you one thing I have discovered if you want to be a consistent shooter know how to hit a far target fast and you will also do it close. I also practice different "techniques sometimes hip/point shooting close up other times isosocles or weaver close up. You can apply the golf anology all you want but fact is an fast accurate shooter at 25 yds is just as deadly at 10-15 yds...bullets hurt worse than golf balls...no need to chuckle at that
    Led By Love Of Country

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array friesepferd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    east TN
    Posts
    2,341
    if im just standing there plinking i tend to shoot modified weaver. seems to work best for me, especially since i have small weak girly arms (but im a girl, so girly arms are ok, right?)
    most the time though when practicing i try to keep on my toes so i shoot in whatever position i end up in when i shoot
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,338
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    It doesn't really matter whether your old school or new school. If you are serious about defending you and your families life take a force on force class and discover how things can happen on the streets. Chances are you will find out how much you don't know about real self defense. Shooting at static targets in a stylized stance really doesn't prepare you for anything but punching paper. I am not baggin' on you in particular but too many people have the impression going to the range and shooting 50 or 100 rounds a month is sufficient training to protect themselves, it's not. IMHO
    I know how things can happen on the streets, I grew up running on them with the wrong crowd. I've had occasion to stare down the business end of a firearm on six occasions before I was 22.

    Quote Originally Posted by hengst View Post
    No need in changing what works for you.....but one thing I will say is I routinely go to the range and fire loads of rounds at 25 and even 50 yds. I even practice it at "fast" speed. I promise you one thing I have discovered if you want to be a consistent shooter know how to hit a far target fast and you will also do it close. I also practice different "techniques sometimes hip/point shooting close up other times isosocles or weaver close up. You can apply the golf anology all you want but fact is an fast accurate shooter at 25 yds is just as deadly at 10-15 yds...bullets hurt worse than golf balls...no need to chuckle at that
    While at the range, I practice from 7, 10, 20, and 25 yards. Have you seen any of my posted pics of my targets? A majority of my practice is at closer ranges, but I do like to tae out the P95 and do some longer than SD range shooting. Not sure why your getting testy over the golf analogy...I play golf and it is something I've noticed over the last 21 years. If you want to stand there in a squared up stance and melt hundreds of rounds from 25 yards with a snubnosed revolver, feel free. Makes no difference to me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.


    Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array Ridgeline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,092
    Just as Thumper so well said, the Weaver is hard to beat when it is how you have shot for so many year, and if it works ... it works. It so very natural now, I dont even think about it.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

    Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeline View Post
    Just as Thumper so well said, the Weaver is hard to beat when it is how you have shot for so many year, and if it works ... it works. It so very natural now, I dont even think about it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.


    Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Rifle shooting from the prone position questions...
    By UltimaRatio in forum Basic Gun Handling & Safety
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: June 25th, 2011, 03:49 PM
  2. Arm Posture?
    By MOUNTAINIER in forum Defensive Carry & Tactical Training
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: June 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
  3. Stance
    By limatunes in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: March 22nd, 2007, 08:05 PM
  4. Shooting grip, stance and accuracy
    By Roadrunner in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: May 3rd, 2006, 08:43 AM
  5. Problem with defensive posture!
    By madmike in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: March 16th, 2006, 08:16 PM

Search tags for this page

best combat shooting stance
,
best defensive shooting stance
,
best stance for defensive shooting
,

combat shooting stance

,
combat shooting stances
,
defensive shooting stance
,

gun posture

,
posture or stance in shooting a target
,
proper defensive shooting stance
,
shooting posture
,
shooting stance
,
tactical shooting stance
Click on a term to search for related topics.