New Serpa holster and my saturday session.

This is a discussion on New Serpa holster and my saturday session. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I thought to myself "perhaps a serpa would be a good addition to my training." I went and got Blackhawk! Serpa at Cabela's ($25, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Serpa holster and my saturday session.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar

So, I thought to myself "perhaps a serpa would be a good addition to my training." I went and got Blackhawk! Serpa at Cabela's ($25, sweet!) and immediatley started draw/dryfire excercises in my apartment. This went extra smooth, I seemed to pick it up right away, even with my Harvard Law sweater[insert joke here] as a cover garment. Saturday comes and I head up north of the cities to my plot of open land to fire off 250 rounds of ammo. I got my own set up that runs me through a gambit of manuveurs. My typical drill consists of...

1. From "hands up!!", stike the target in face with open palm, unholster, two hip shots to center mass while going two paces backwards.
    2. Turn right, form the isosolese stance and Mozambique the second target at 10-15'.
    3. Turn left, back to the weaver stance,two more paces back+one head shot to the first target.
    4. sprint 20 yards to cover which is just a tree stump, drop a knee, two body shots to third target at 15-20'.
    5. Mag change, lay down on left/right side and take last 2-3 shots.

Its this drill with mixing and matching different portions that I spent the majority of time on. But what I found was that accessing the serpa button was hit and miss for me. Halfway through, I switched to my IWB holster which was obviously more efficient. I think its the mental aspect of transitioning from dry-live fire that leaves me a little bit lacking in the fine motor skills department, plus I sprint 25 yards and back to keep the heart going. I think I really just need to keep up the practice and develop the muscle memory.

What do you think?
    Suggestions and Criticizms on the drill are encouraged too.

Practice, practice, practice with the holster if you are having trouble finding the button. If you're having some problems with fine motor skills now, imagine the difficulties you may have in a high stress situation. If any motion of your shooting, reloading, etc. can be simplified or adjusted in any way to avoid the use of fine motor skills, I'm all for it. Otherwise, good on you for taking the initiative to train on your own.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I use Serpas all the time and it's rare for me to miss the button, just needs lot's of dryfire practice.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    The Serpa is a great holster and it is very fast once you have it down. It has a retention system that works.

While it has a retention system, and one I like for open carry, I have found that it's not needed so much when one conceals the handgun. The cover garment is my retention device, as nobody should be aware that I have a handgun until I present it.

In short, I use my concealment to negate the need for a retention device.

Biker

BikerRN, I agree with you.
    Bob
    Its always a great day, if you don't believe me try missing one.
    NRA, TFA, IDPA, 3 Gun

I agree. Unless you are very active every day. Like crawling on the ground or jumping around I see no need for that kind of retention when CC. I know some swear by them but I don't need the re tension and they are not the best holsters for concealment. They tend to stick out a bit.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I have a Serpa holster as well thats is what I wear and train with, You will get the hang of it with more time and training. The button is in just the right spot I find it 99.99% of the time.

I too train like you mention and I can only recall 3 times were I fail to hit the release button. 2 of this times I had thick winter gloves on. Good luck carry on!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    But what I found was that accessing the serpa button was hit and miss for me. Halfway through, I switched to my IWB holster which was obviously more efficient. I think its the mental aspect of transitioning from dry-live fire that leaves me a little bit lacking in the fine motor skills department, plus I sprint 25 yards and back to keep the heart going. I think I really just need to keep up the practice and develop the muscle memory.

What do you think?
    That's why there are several major training organizations that will not allow the use of a Serpa holster in their classes.
    "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    That's why there are several major training organizations that will not allow the use of a Serpa holster in their classes.
    Like US SOCOM and the FLETC. Oh wait, these two groups actually issue Serpa holsters after exhaustive safety and reliability testing. My bad.

I got a CQC and started practicing with it. As part of my practice I got video of a practice session that included lots of drawing both in both OC and CC (jacket over it). I looked at the moment my hand grasped the pistol grip and where my index finger was going, and realized I needed to adjust the cant. I adjusted the cant, and my finger naturally hits the latch release. Small adjustment, huge improvement.

There is no such thing as too much practice. Always train drawing on the move.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

i have 3 serpa's and use them all the time

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Like US SOCOM and the FLETC. Oh wait, these two groups actually issue Serpa holsters after exhaustive safety and reliability testing. My bad.
    Hey boys, I got no dog in this fight I was merely passing on info that I have gleaned from several trainers.
    "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."

The first holster I got for my Kimber was a Blackhawk SERPA. I practiced with it and didn't have much of a problem with it other than it sticks out a bit. It is great for retention, and I use it frequently when I am riding my Harley for that reason. For concealed carry purposes, I prefer my leather Galco holster, as it sits closer to the body. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    I think its the mental aspect of transitioning from dry-live fire that leaves me a little bit lacking in the fine motor skills department, plus I sprint 25 yards and back to keep the heart going. I think I really just need to keep up the practice and develop the muscle memory.

What do you think?
    That is part of the problem. You are doing a stressful gun/self-defense exercise and are expecting to be able to use your fine motor skills. Under stress, we lost fine motor skills. All we have to work with is muslce memory, and therein lies where your training should be focused.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links